Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I have nothing to say
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your bugout location is your home, the only kit you need to keep with you is one that's designed to get you home. That's MUCH easier than trying to bug OUT to somewhere.

Consider for a moment the situation of instant SHTF. In a moment, you have a choice to make. Which way to run? If you already know that home's the place you're going, and you need X amount of gear to make the journey, then well begun is halfway done. Maybe all you need are a couple of subway tokens and a map. Maybe all you need is $100 for a taxi right now. Maybe you need $100 and a few ounces of silver and a gold chain for a taxi right now.

If you have everything you need at home then your need to carry an Altoids tin with some fish hooks in it is decreased dramatically.

If I was in Manhattan and wanted a bughome kit, it would be something that fit in one pocket, wouldn't set off a metal detector, had everything I would need to access help.

I think a google map with the locations of urgent care medical centers, CVS stores, water sources, that kind of thing... that would be very useful in a SHTF event. An altoids tin with a firestarter? Probably not.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
People need to truly and objectively analyze there situations. Then and ONLY THEN can an accurate guess be made to the need to bug out when something bad happens.

I'm afraid it's about a little bit more than just the idea that folks will be inconvenienced with leaving, or the wife doesn't like the mountains, or junior doesn't want to leave his Xbox. If your basing YOUR FAMILY'S SURVIVAL on things like that, you got much bigger problems than TSHTF!

Years ago, people understood that the most important priority was getting away from masses of system dependent people in a REAL emergency situation. The serious ones moved ahead of time, the ones that couldn't made REAL plans and preps to bug out to a safer (usually pre prepared) place.

Now a days, everything is about COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE. People want to store pogee bait foods instead of learning to use real storage food ahead of time. People want to believe they can make it 2 miles outside a city of 1 million people. People want to believe they can stay 60 lbs. over weight, never get off the couch and then believe that "adrenaline will get them through" a bad situation. People want to believe that there spouse that gives them ****e every time they buy a can of beanie weenies will suddenly jump into there arms and say "my hero!" , and thank them profusely for preparing when the time comes. People want to believe they can live amongst tens of thousands of people if something happens, being the only one fed and not sickly looking one of the bunch because they are "gray."

The realities are: The pogee bait foods cost more, leave your body sluggish and in poor health. Any number of those 1 million people 2 miles away will be COMPETING with them for food stocks, trying to take what they have, etc. The dude that's 60 lbs. overweight will likely die of a heart attack when the stress of the situation gets to him, at the very minimum he's going to be a lot less effective in dealing with the situation at hand. The spouse that was "against" preparing, wouldn't "let" them prepare, held a tight rain on the money and didn't let $2. go for preps, IS STILL GOING TO BLAME the father, the supposed real "head of the household" when the family has nothing to eat. If she's a female dog now and impossible to be around now, got news for you, she IS going to be later also. The "gray" man living amongst a sea of starving people isn't going to have enough ammo when he's found out, and one molotov on the roof of his chipboard McMansion is going to burn it to the ground. Hopefully he will die "comfortably" because comfort is all he's ever worshipped.

Get out of your comfort zone guys (and gals) start looking at your situations objectively and plan from that.

Learn new skills, get out and exercise and lose some of the excess weight, explore the possibility of living in a new place, shut off the TV for a few months, learn to look at things differently.

It's worth a try if you really want to survive, isn't it?

The bad part is that sort of thinking is all fantasy. The unfortunate part is that it's going to get a lot of people killed. :(

Lowdown3

·
V
21,713 Posts
People need to truly and objectively analyze there situations. Then and ONLY THEN can an accurate guess be made to the need to bug out when something bad happens.
100% :thumb: Imho even if your in the best location you can think of a BOB should still be a part of your preps as well as locations to head too incase you absolutely have too.

I wont get into the rest of your post LD3 as we've been there and done that :taped: although on the whole I have to agree with you, it mainly depends on what your preparing for and the masses staying or moving.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i have prepared for both, i can bug in and be comfortable here, as i am in the middle of nowhere, or i can bug out to my cabin. my main priority will always be to get home first. i dont have to go home as my get home bag has enough to get me to either place, but i dont want to leave my pets or family behind. so my plan is to get home and then evaluate from there. if i need to leave fine, all my bug in supplies are easily loaded into our vehicles and take to add to my bug out supplies in the cabin. if i dont have that luxury, i can just grab the family and pets and get out. or i could just take the family to the cabin then come back to get the pets and extra supplies. the main thing with me is that i am never far from my house, so there are no problems there. my biggest problem is that i have to go through a beg town to get to the gf's place to get her, there is no good way around the town without hitting other towns.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Actually, the reality is that some of us have young children and would be foolish to bug out. We're also not in a position to just drop everything and move to the wilderness and learn a whole new lifestyle. Even if we wanted to do that, we can't afford to. We will HAVE to rely on our neighbors, and hope that as a group we can keep this area safe.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Actually, the reality is that some of us have young children and would be foolish to bug out. We're also not in a position to just drop everything and move to the wilderness and learn a whole new lifestyle. Even if we wanted to do that, we can't afford to. We will HAVE to rely on our neighbors, and hope that as a group we can keep this area safe.
I don't think anyone was talking about running to the bare wilderness ala "red dawn" fashion. :)

·
V
21,713 Posts
TM while I'm in a similar boat to you ( I have 4yr old twins) and circumstances mean I'm living in suburbia and not the sticks, you/we can learn new skills (I know because I am trying), adopting a whole new life style isnt on the cards, but learning how to go about it should I ever need that knowledge is something we can all afford.

Being prepared to bugout should the need arrise is wise, adopting the bugout bug isnt, (by that I mean the I'm gonna head for the hills and live like a mountain man of old mentality theres more than one of those here as there are on every survival board).

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
i have a 3yr. old and if we had to go with plan B. then i would try to do the same thing i always do. keep her fed warm and loved. cause when the chips are down and people start going door to door raiding and shooting people for food. hang'n out for your turn to get shot in the head or bug out. if i think the group can't defend the house were buggin out,as will the rest of the group .

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
And after you 'bug IN', you can enjoy the warmth of the fire as the hordes burn your house down around your ears...
Ahhh yes. They thought the same thing in LA back in the 90's. Two determined defenders convinced the "hordes" to move on and find and easier target. The end result? The defended casa was the standing casa.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Localized riots do NOT equal total societal breakdown.

It is impossible to defend a 360 degree perimeter around your house when a Molotov cocktail can be lobbed from behind the house next door.

Have a bug out plan.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
As I have mentioned be for bugging in is our only option.
We have only one road out of town and that goes to Anchorage, wouldn't make any sence to head to the largest city in the state if things turned to sh*t.
Right now we have 2 ft of snow in our yard and futher out of town the deeper it gets.
Going out in the woods and setting up a tent would be foolhardy.
We are not in a first strike area or even close to one and for the life of me can't think of someone wanting to waste a chemical or biological weapon on Seward , Alaska.
We can make our own electricity, pump our own water and have all our preps here.
We live in an area surrounded by like minded people and have built a large support network.
So home is it for us..........Dennis the Alaskan

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Dennis,

If you are in Alaska, you are, in affect, already bugged out. And if you are in a small town in Alaska, then you are all set.

We are talking about LA....and Chicago...and New York...and Phoenix, etc. here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
TM while I'm in a similar boat to you ( I have 4yr old twins) and circumstances mean I'm living in suburbia and not the sticks, you/we can learn new skills (I know because I am trying), adopting a whole new life style isnt on the cards, but learning how to go about it should I ever need that knowledge is something we can all afford.

Being prepared to bugout should the need arrise is wise, adopting the bugout bug isnt, (by that I mean the I'm gonna head for the hills and live like a mountain man of old mentality theres more than one of those here as there are on every survival board).
Exactly. I have a list of things for us all to pack in backpacks if we should have to leave suddenly, but we aren't making preps to leave. Mainly, I'm making preps to live a very scaled down life during a depression. In fact, my main preps assume that we will have electricity. However, I am "preparing" to go without, as well.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts

I'm afraid it's about a little bit more than just the idea that folks will be inconvenienced with leaving, or the wife doesn't like the mountains, or junior doesn't want to leave his Xbox. If your basing YOUR FAMILY'S SURVIVAL on things like that, you got much bigger problems than TSHTF!

Years ago, people understood that the most important priority was getting away from masses of system dependent people in a REAL emergency situation. The serious ones moved ahead of time, the ones that couldn't made REAL plans and preps to bug out to a safer (usually pre prepared) place.

Now a days, everything is about COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE. People want to store pogee bait foods instead of learning to use real storage food ahead of time. People want to believe they can make it 2 miles outside a city of 1 million people. People want to believe they can stay 60 lbs. over weight, never get off the couch and then believe that "adrenaline will get them through" a bad situation. People want to believe that there spouse that gives them ****e every time they buy a can of beanie weenies will suddenly jump into there arms and say "my hero!" , and thank them profusely for preparing when the time comes. People want to believe they can live amongst tens of thousands of people if something happens, being the only one fed and not sickly looking one of the bunch because they are "gray."

The realities are: The pogee bait foods cost more, leave your body sluggish and in poor health. Any number of those 1 million people 2 miles away will be COMPETING with them for food stocks, trying to take what they have, etc. The dude that's 60 lbs. overweight will likely die of a heart attack when the stress of the situation gets to him, at the very minimum he's going to be a lot less effective in dealing with the situation at hand. The spouse that was "against" preparing, wouldn't "let" them prepare, held a tight rain on the money and didn't let $2. go for preps, IS STILL GOING TO BLAME the father, the supposed real "head of the household" when the family has nothing to eat. If she's a female dog now and impossible to be around now, got news for you, she IS going to be later also. The "gray" man living amongst a sea of starving people isn't going to have enough ammo when he's found out, and one molotov on the roof of his chipboard McMansion is going to burn it to the ground. Hopefully he will die "comfortably" because comfort is all he's ever worshipped.

Get out of your comfort zone guys (and gals) start looking at your situations objectively and plan from that.

Learn new skills, get out and exercise and lose some of the excess weight, explore the possibility of living in a new place, shut off the TV for a few months, learn to look at things differently.

The bad part is that sort of thinking is all fantasy. The unfortunate part is that it's going to get a lot of people killed. :(

Lowdown3
If I am rambling here, forgive me. I just received some rather crushing news and I am on my second glass of wine [and I do not drink, normally].

I am bugging in.

This girl is not overweight, by any means. At this juncture, I am quite 'slim and trim' and I eat very little, as it is.

It pays to live with a comestibly 'small footprint', for many a reason.

People do buy junk to eat, laden with fat and sugar and then they wonder why that they are obese.

Those people are in for a hard lesson, indeed. They will not be sated by the small amounts of food which some of us have become well-accustomed to consuming.

Those people will die and they have no one to blame but themselves.

"Only the strong survive."

Rhonda

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
It is impossible to defend a 360 degree perimeter around your house when a Molotov cocktail can be lobbed from behind the house next door.
Here in the NW where we have 80-100% humidity and 8 months of rain, flaming arrows and molitov cocktails are a waste of fuel. Couldn't light up a place here unless it was peak summer and the wood siding and roofing is still going to be 22% moisture. Its just not something to worry on in the rain forest.

Down in the warmer regions you have a very good point though.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Lowdown3

excellent advice!:thumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Everyone talks of heading for the hills. Don't feel this is the best plan of action for all. I have always been in the outdoors as much as possible, and I am at home there. Many who live in cities are not as familiar with life on the land, and may very well become easier targets in such an environment than had they remained at home and joined with trusted neighbors with like attitudes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts