Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I was wondering about the inherent accuracy of the mosin rifle. I am considering picking one up and puting a scope on it. Now I am not looking to nail targets at 1000 yds but was wondering if I scope it if it would be able to hit 8-12inch targets at 400-500 yds. Also are there any descent scopes in the 200-400 dollar range? and if I am looking to scope the rifle what should I look for when picking a rifle? Thanks for all your help guys!:D: P.S is J&G sales a decent place to buy a rifle?

·
CrackerJack Kid
930 Posts
...it's enough gun.

All I know, is that I'm not MAN enough to shoot more than 5 rounds of that thing. :sleep:

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mosin Nagants make good project rifles but....you're talking about buying a scope that costs more then the rifle. I can understand the coolness factor of having a completely custom MN but for the cost??? just doesn't make sense to me.
They is no easy way to mount optics unless you are skilled at machining. Also being super accurate at those distances, your talking trigger work too. Easily you'd have over $500 in the rifle, there are better platforms to start from in my opinion.
HOWEVER- from studying this very subject I will say if I were to do this, ROCKSOLID makes the best mount for a scope- it requires drilling and tapping the receiver. A few companies make new trigger assemblies the best and most expensive is Timney. Stocks- STAY AWAY FROM ATI, they are junk. Re-do the original over replacing with ATI.
Personally when I do a MN project it will be a Scout rifle and I hope to do most of the work myself and with better iron sights (thinking Mojo or Williams Firesights) or a LER scope on the dovetails (91/30).

Forgot to add- if you want a really good shooter, stay away from the counter-bored rifles.

·
Old Soldier
5,072 Posts
Tests have shown that the 91/30 accuracy was the equal of, or better than, it's contemoprary military bolt action rifles, using issue military ammo.
Russia fielded a sniper version during WWII that had a scope, so finding a re-pro mount should not be a problem.
But by the time you are done, why not just buy a Remington or Savage?
I have Mosin Nagants because I'm a military history buff and collect WWII weapons. Never would I Bubba one up. But that's just my opinion.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Instead of getting a standard rifle and trying to put a scope on it (it is harder than you may think, especially without a bent bolt). Just spend 450, at the most, and get a sniper version. It already has a bent bolt and you will have the p/u scope. That is the way it was intended. I personally would not put a different scope on one. The reasoning, is because i am an avid student of ww2 history, especially russian history. Just my .02
Also the p/u scope is a great scope for judging distance, with a little practice of course.
In my opinion it is the only way to go. But we all know what opinions are like.

·
Remember The Alamo
4,570 Posts
Hello all. I was wondering about the inherent accuracy of the mosin rifle. I am considering picking one up and puting a scope on it. Now I am not looking to nail targets at 1000 yds but was wondering if I scope it if it would be able to hit 8-12inch targets at 400-500 yds. Also are there any descent scopes in the 200-400 dollar range? and if I am looking to scope the rifle what should I look for when picking a rifle? Thanks for all your help guys!:D: P.S is J&G sales a decent place to buy a rifle?
j&gsales is a great place to buy them i have bought 5 $79.00 ones from them very happy with all. Just tell them to hand pick the rifle they do that pretty well.
You need a long eye relief scope because it will set a good bit forword.
I use one that I paid 120.00 for and works dam well.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You can buy the MN for $80 about anywhere. I put a scout mount on mine for $10 and an NCStar LER 3-7x scope for another $50. No need to bend the bolt handle or drill any holes that way.

After reworking the trigger and glass bedding I can keep surplus Polish ammo inside 2"@100.

It was doing 4-6inches with iron sights, so I would have been happy with 12" groups @ 300 with iron sights. That still gives "minute of German soldier"@400.

PU is the right terminoligy for the stock scope. It is low on power, does not automaticly center the crosshairs and is on the lower end of the scale compared to what is on the shelf at Walmart for $29.95. It was a bad scope in WW2 and is no better today.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
Mosin Nagants make good project rifles but....you're talking about buying a scope that costs more then the rifle. I can understand the coolness factor of having a completely custom MN but for the cost??? just doesn't make sense to me.
They is no easy way to mount optics unless you are skilled at machining. Also being super accurate at those distances, your talking trigger work too. Easily you'd have over $500 in the rifle, there are better platforms to start from in my opinion.
HOWEVER- from studying this very subject I will say if I were to do this, ROCKSOLID makes the best mount for a scope- it requires drilling and tapping the receiver. A few companies make new trigger assemblies the best and most expensive is Timney. Stocks- STAY AWAY FROM ATI, they are junk. Re-do the original over replacing with ATI.
Personally when I do a MN project it will be a Scout rifle and I hope to do most of the work myself and with better iron sights (thinking Mojo or Williams Firesights) or a LER scope on the dovetails (91/30).

Forgot to add- if you want a really good shooter, stay away from the counter-bored rifles.
Sorry, but in all truth. The scope should always cost more than the rifle.

HH54r

Reactions: 13Fox150

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
Mosins are great fun and make a decent long range fire arm...if you have a scope. Their iron sights suck. With a decent scope you can hit 6" targets at 150 yards consistently. Their condition and therefor accuracy varies all over the place so don't buy if you can't confirm barrel condition. If you like cheap ammo, tinkering with old guns and are new to the sniper thing I say get one, its a cheap gamble. Just remember Mosins feel accurate until you shoot your friends Remington 700. The day will come when you out grow your Mosin and desire something more accurate/consistent. But until that day comes enjoy your $100 rifle that you won't have to treat like a ceramic doll. It's all about practice and fun.

Good luck

Hemp

·
Registered
59 Posts
a person COULD do it my way:

$350 for the Finnish model, noted for accuracy
another hundred and something for scope mount installed, and bent bolt
Nikon Monarch scope

And get just lousy accuracy.

Until we brewed the correct handload, then it shoots like a champ!

but there goes the whole idea of cheap abundant surp ammo.

Wanna buy a tackdriver mosin? BTW, you may want to put wheels on it. Its dang heavy. if i thought it was time to grab n' GO it would be my CZ527 carbine.

The original one i got, a simple 80 dollar Russian makes a lot more sense.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Mosin Nagants make good project rifles but....you're talking about buying a scope that costs more then the rifle. I can understand the coolness factor of having a completely custom MN but for the cost??? just doesn't make sense to me. They is no easy way to mount optics unless you are skilled at machining. Also being super accurate at those distances, your talking trigger work too. Easily you'd have over $500 in the rifle, there are better platforms to start from in my opinion.

I agree with most of your post, some good advice there. Just want to play devil's advocate on a couple points.
First, I see lot's of rifles where the optics cost more than the rifle. I would say that if you are serious about accuracy, it's easy to do. Think of all the $900 AR's that have $1400 ACOG's on them, or a $500 bolt gun with an $800 scope - pretty easy to do.
Second, counter-boring isn't that big a deal, I'd be more leery of one that wasn't counter-bored due to unresolved bore damage.
There are more important things that will impact accuracy. Like you said, trigger, but an even bigger issue with Mosins is ammo. There is plenty of decent mil-surp ammo out there, some good factory stuff too, but for real accuracy, you're going to need to reload. The good thing is that the 7.62x54r is a pretty reloading friendly round.

OP, I would just get one, and see how you like it and how accurate it is. If you are disappointed, get another and try it.
Bottom line is that these are 70ish year old battle rifles, and are good buys. You probably aren't going to get a target rifle out of one without spending well past the point where you could have bought a new platform.
Man size targets at 100-300 yards should be pretty easy, even with irons, if you do your part. 500+ yards on plates is a very different animal, and something these rifles where never designed to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts