Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New competition model from Springfield in 9mm sporting a 5.25 inch barrel.

·
planner and prepper
403 Posts
These look decent, but 2 problems, first they didn't fix the trigger. :(
Second, MSRP is $1200+ ($1400 I believe). You can pick up a Glock 34 or 35 for about 1/2 and have plenty left over for mags, ammo, holsters and a nice dinner for the wife to smooth over a new firearm purchase. :)

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These look decent, but 2 problems, first they didn't fix the trigger. :(
Second, MSRP is $1200+ ($1400 I believe). You can pick up a Glock 34 or 35 for about 1/2 and have plenty left over for mags, ammo, holsters and a nice dinner for the wife to smooth over a new firearm purchase. :)

I like the trigger? What do you not like about it? A basic glock to this? Where did you get that price tag?

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
People who are serious about survival don't own Springfield Armory pistols. Rifles, maybe. But not their pistols. Way too many glitches.

·
Ready
307 Posts
People who are serious about survival don't own Springfield Armory pistols. Rifles, maybe. But not their pistols. Way too many glitches.
Yea, my XDM 40 is super glitchy. Every time I squeeze the trigger it fires, the rest of the time it won't. Funny thing is, it does the same thing with every mag I try. I could live with that but every single round hits the same spot as the others. Targets get too messy that way.

·
planner and prepper
403 Posts
I am curious too. I have had an XD tactical 9mm for 7-8 years, I got one of the early ones. I have put thousands down range with it, no FTEs, no FTFs. One time after running nearly 1k through it without cleaning it the chamber indicator stopped popping up, but no issues firing. Good cleaning and it is good to go.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I went through LE training using Glocks for weapons qualification. THATS why I bought the XD40. Ive fired just as many rounds through my XD as I did with the Glocks and I have yet to have a single issue. On the flip side, using the Glocks I had at least one FTF or FTE each day we shot. No thanks, I will keep my XD.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Those of us who have been through troubled times understand that the more reliable guns have fewer bells and whistles on them. The more features you put on a gun, the more chances it has of breaking and failing to work. I don't need or want a gun that has extra items on it that will render it useless. In other words, I don't need a grip safety on my handgun. I want a gun that works. I don't need a fancier-than-normal ejector that raises up to possibly snag on something or be easier to break. I need a gun that works. I want reliability and dependability. My survival pistols will either be Rugers or Glocks. Rugers because they're built tough and Glocks because they have fewer parts and are easier to maintain.

I can remember the instructor on the .45 Colt Government Model 1911 pistol in the Army starting off his lecture with, "The Model 1911 pistol has a bazillion safeties on it which is precisely the reason why we have hundreds of military personnel every year shooting themselves or another service member. Don't trust any of the safeties on a 1911. Anything mechanical can break or fail to function just when you need it the most. Let your brain be the most important safety device you have." If an XD makes you happy, go for it. But to me an XD is about one of the last guns that I would ever consider carrying or risking my life on. My experiences have taught me that I want smooth, accurate, quick and more reliable firearms when things go bad around me. And more reliable firearms = fewer parts in them.

·
Errrrr
5,680 Posts
Herd sorry your wrong about the xd. I have put thousands of rounds in my
Xd. I had problems with it ftf and fte but that stopped when I realized I was limp wristing. I corrected myself and it's been perfect. Currently I decided to see how long it will function correctly without cleaning...I have over 1500 rounds through it and it's still shooting every time and accurately. The only problem with it is feeding hat hungry beast

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
Andy, do what you think is right for you. Good luck with your decision. As for me and mine, I will avoid XD pistols for now.

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those of us who have been through troubled times understand that the more reliable guns have fewer bells and whistles on them. The more features you put on a gun, the more chances it has of breaking and failing to work. I don't need or want a gun that has extra items on it that will render it useless. In other words, I don't need a grip safety on my handgun. I want a gun that works. I don't need a fancier-than-normal ejector that raises up to possibly snag on something or be easier to break. I need a gun that works. I want reliability and dependability. My survival pistols will either be Rugers or Glocks. Rugers because they're built tough and Glocks because they have fewer parts and are easier to maintain.

I can remember the instructor on the .45 Colt Government Model 1911 pistol in the Army starting off his lecture with, "The Model 1911 pistol has a bazillion safeties on it which is precisely the reason why we have hundreds of military personnel every year shooting themselves or another service member. Don't trust any of the safeties on a 1911. Anything mechanical can break or fail to function just when you need it the most. Let your brain be the most important safety device you have." If an XD makes you happy, go for it. But to me an XD is about one of the last guns that I would ever consider carrying or risking my life on. My experiences have taught me that I want smooth, accurate, quick and more reliable firearms when things go bad around me. And more reliable firearms = fewer parts in them.

Where are all these xds that people have problems with? ALL xd owners I know don't have problems with them. And I have heard more glock owners switching to xds rather than vice versa. I'm not trying to change our mind, but I've never heard of these theoretical problems you could have. Only problem I've heard of is was a rust issue in early production which was fixed quickly.

http://beforeitsnews.com/story/204/115/The_Springfield_XD_Torture_Test.html

Reactions: webfarmer

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$1399 is the price that has been coming up on the XDtalk forum, we'll see what they come out at.
Ok..yeah that a beefy price tag, but you could also get regular xds for relatively the same price as glocks with extra goodies as well.

·
Prepared in NH
12,866 Posts
FWIW - I love all of my 6 year old and younger XD's. Not a single problem ever experienced with any of them, including during heavy use-time at gun-range qualification drills.

2,302 Posts
I don't like how the XD feels in my hand. I'm less accurate with it than with a Glock. I also don't like all the extra busy angles and cuts and steps all over the thing. Sure a Glock is ugly.... but the XD is hideous!
I sure wouldn't throw it away if you gave me one. Its not a bad gun.

·
457 Posts
Interesting vid there! I must admit it looks like a fine pistol and I'm a Glock guy.. Anyone get a real price on these yet?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had my XD .45 Tactical for three years and placed thousands of rounds downrange without a single FTF or FTE. That includes reloads, Wolfs and new cartridges.

Glock v. XD's? Here's a vid for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts