Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4888

A better source I think is NASA.

During the upcoming March 5 flyby, asteroid 2013 TX68 could fly past Earth as far out as 9 million miles (14 million kilometers) or as close as 11,000 miles (17,000 kilometers). The variation in possible closest approach distances is due to the wide range of possible trajectories for this object, since it was tracked for only a short time after discovery.

Scientists at NASA's Center for NEO Studies (CNEOS) at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, have determined there is no possibility that this object could impact Earth during the flyby next month. But they have identified an extremely remote chance that this small asteroid could impact on Sep. 28, 2017, with odds of no more than 1-in-250-million. Flybys in 2046 and 2097 have an even lower probability of impact.

"The possibilities of collision on any of the three future flyby dates are far too small to be of any real concern," said Paul Chodas, manager of CNEOS. "I fully expect any future observations to reduce the probability even more."
But certainly worth noting. :)

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
It does make you wonder with all of that debris out there that can appear suddenly from the dark that the planet has not had more significant hits.

Jupiter is on the job for the most part and then there's dumb luck big sky I guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.