Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the general weaponf forum but got no response... I bought these at auction on Saturday but know little about them as far as quality.

The Ankara 8mm Mauser is from Turkey and was built in 1943. Turkey was an axis power and I am becoming facinated by WWII bolt actions.

The Oviedo 7mm Mauser was used by the Spanish army.

If anyone has experience with these, I would love to here what you think.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Your 8mm is a M93, and was re-barreled in 1943. The Mauser bolt-action is universally known as being among the very best in the world.

With a 29" barrel, surplus 8mm 196gr FMJ bullets are scorching fast, and devastatingly effective on two or four-legged critters.

Make sure to check headspace before shooting your new rifles..

·
Registered
889 Posts
If the 7mm has a small hole in the side of the receiver,
you should be aware that it is not a 98 receiver.
Do a search for spanish mausers and read up on them.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mc Nasty. My father said the same thing about head space. All guns from the auction were sent to a gun shop to be registered and I cant pick it up until Tuesday. I guess thats good for the shops though... just wish I could have gotten to look over my purchase after.

I just read that this is a good deer rifle as well.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Passin- I will look when I get my guns in two long days from now. Thanks.

next thing I am looking for is the Mossin Nargent... Cheap and effective.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do you have to transfer fire arms bought at auction through a dealer? If so Why don't they have a dealer at the auction to do the paper work?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes they are transfered and registered. And being in Maryland, I am not allowed to buy a gun out of state. However someone can buy a gun and give it to me, but then some guns have to be registered and some not.

Not sure why they dont do that on site, knowing this wonderful state, there is probably a law about it. Dems outnumber Rebublican more than 2-1 in Maryland so there are strange laws that make little sence.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I got the rifles today. Also got a Iver Johnson .32 but that's on a 7 day "cool down" hold.

Funny how I can buy a military gun and walk out that day but even a .22 short would have a 7 day wait. Anyway... are stripper clips standard... Can any 8mm mouser strip fit this gun?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts