Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss at work is 68.Don't know what type,but was diagnosed a year ago.
He tried to hid it,but its hard to keep secrets at a job.

He has had about 4 outbursts the last 6 months.I'm talking screaming,in your face,beet red pulsing temple,spittle flying.Walks off to the office,1 hour later acts like nothing happened.Normally he is pretty level guy.
I've seen vids of peole that look drunk and out of it,give them a candy bar and their fine..but this is oppisite.
I don't know anything about it,but could this be from a medical condition,or totally unrealated?

·
Republic of Texas
1,230 Posts
If his blood sugars are running high, yes, he could be irritable and angry. In fact, my irritability is one of the first indicators my glucose levels are too high. My Dad had the same reaction to high levels as your boss and just as severe as it sounds like his are.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
If he was 68 when they ID'd it, it is Type II. Type I onsets early in life and usually requires insulin early in the game, due to early damage to the Pancreas. With Type II, if you play by the rules, eat carefully, and take your meds, you may never need insulin or not until late in life.

Psychologically, everyone is different. Once I got some education on the disease and had a couple of meetings with a nutritionist, I just accepted it, acted on it, and drove on.

Having said all the above, If he's having mood swings, his meds may not be working correctly yet. I hardly ever have high blood sugar (as long as I eat right) and when I do, there are no symptoms. But low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).......wow. It's like coming down with the flu over a 30 second period and it HURTS. Cold chills, shivers, headache, numbness in the face and hands, overall body weakness, and yes, I get quite"exercised" and have a very short fuse. Fortunately, I recognize it immediate'y for what it is, it doesn't last long if I can find a snack, after which I'm fine after 20 minutes or so. He needs to know this is normal and can be avoided by what and when you eat, which can be figured out by testing blood 1 hr before and after meals for a month or more. Once you've figured what makes you high or low, you can go back to 1 stick a day.

I did this for 6 months in the beginning and found the specific types and even the brands of food that effected me the most (good AND bad) - worked well for me. I very seldom have a low now and it's always when I have not eaten. Lows, by the way, are a sign the your meds are working as they should - the meds drive your system to burn glucose, which you then have to replace by eating more carbs - and no, you can't just cut carbs off; nutritionally you need a certain amount of carbs, protein and even fat to stay healthy.

Tell him for me, good luck. Diabetes, when controlled, is really no big deal.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,960 Posts
I am not diabetic but I get irritable when hungry. It is an ongoing joke with my husband, if I am hungry or tired look out.

You might get him the Blood Sugar 101 book, I found it helpful. I am at high risk of diabetes due to family history and medication (anti psychotics can cause diabetes) so I am pretty careful.

Reactions: cook

·
Registered
450 Posts
My husband used to get unusually angry really quickly for little things. I didn’t make the connection until reading this thread. I thought he was just losing it. He hasn’t done it since he was diagnosed and starting taking meds for diabetes. You really can learn a lot on this board. Thank you.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
When my own blood sugar is low I get angry. I am ****ED, and little things can set me off

For some years I carried candy in my purse so that I could give myself a "lift" when I felt cranky. I do better now, but then my own diagnosis was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I was hypoglycemic for nearly 30 years and yes, irritability goes with sugar beginning at about 70 and going down. Fortunately this ailment went away about a year ago.

·
Registered
515 Posts
My whole family has low blood sugar issues. We all keep “car food” in the car, breakfast bars etc.

I go through a ton of Peanut butter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yep! Retired military here. Diagnosed type 1 at 36. On a pump and pretty well controlled but when my shiznit gets outta whack im prone to a bery short temper. Downrite mean, it really effects your dumb arse coping ability.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts