Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I make phone apps and have been playing around with an android/iphone app for early warning ....I would be interested in feedback from the forum...

you can simply visit http://shtfcon.com with your android or iphone browser and bookmark it , I do have an actual android app for it but wanted to get some feedback before releasing an actual app for it....

comments are appreciated (good or bad) :)

·
I'm a dork
427 Posts
I make phone apps and have been playing around with an android/iphone app for early warning ....I would be interested in feedback from the forum...

you can simply visit http://shtfcon.com with your android or iphone browser and bookmark it , I do have an actual android app for it but wanted to get some feedback before releasing an actual app for it....

comments are appreciated (good or bad) :)
I have an android phone and this sounds interesting. Maybe you could give us what you have in mind so that we CAN leave some feedback on what you're planning. Something to get this ball rolling.

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
how about an app for calculating fall out with the 7/10 rule

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an android phone and this sounds interesting. Maybe you could give us what you have in mind so that we CAN leave some feedback on what you're planning. Something to get this ball rolling.

If you open the link on your phone you will see what I'm talking about...just a simple early warning system where you can see a status for the most popular potential SHTF situations.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how about an app for calculating fall out with the 7/10 rule
If I need to calculate the fall out, I am way to frigging close and my phone will be the last thing I'm thinking about.....but thats just me, I could do it, but it would be dependent on feedback from the people here, if there was really an interest I would make it.

·
Currently Learning...
80 Posts
interesting but seems to be very vague. is it possible to localize the information by zipcode? many weather apps release messages when severe weather moves into your area, perhaps that could be incorporated.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well based on 140+ views and only a handful of responses, this is not something the community is interested in ....oh well back to the drawing board :)

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,784 Posts
I will be getting a droid soon, and some sort of early-warning app would be good, but what isn't so good is if I have to run the app to see if something's happening that I need early warning on.

Another current thread right now deals with the EAS sending text messages--in other words, push technology as opposed to polling technology (which is what I need to do if I have to run an app each time).

So is this app something that would run in the background and notify me that something's happened? Or do I have to actively run it each time? Frankly, having to run it probably isn't much more useful than simply checking CNN...

Further, who will define what the situation is? Where is the data coming from? Who will decide that something is worthy of notice and thus would be picked up by the app?

I think there are more questions that need to be answered.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I like it, if you could just develop it more. I am a software developer too and see some potential for this. I saw some website with a disaster map, real time events drawn from the news or something. And if you could localize it it would be even better.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
currently it is a pull technology. The data is coming from the usual sources, ie, google finance, spaceweather.com, homeland security etc. The decisions of level are either coming from the source (homeland security & defcon) or based on thresholds we set to change the status based on the threshold being met.

I made the app just because I find myself routinely checking several sites everyday to get a rough status of the nation for all possible SHTF scenarios and figured if I could create something that allowed me to go to one place and get all of it simultaneously it would be a good thing....

I get the push idea......I will think about a different version where you can set your own thresholds for a pushed alert....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am an android user and just checked out the site. Definite potential. Have u given any thought to making it a widget or something with RSS we could see on the home screen without actually opening the app

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I like the concept, the only problem I see is that it will have to be fairly specific to be useful. My college issues text alerts whenever there is some sort of emergency on campus. This includes shootings, infectious diseases, dangerous persons, etc. (all these alerts have actually been issued this semester). That is important info put out quickly so that people can use it.

Your website is a nice start, but it's pretty general info. And country-wide alerts often change only after an event has taken place. I'd definitely look forward to seeing what you come up with.

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
i like the idea also, but agree with everyone. it needs a little refinement. just checked it on droid. good start

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am an android user and just checked out the site. Definite potential. Have u given any thought to making it a widget or something with RSS we could see on the home screen without actually opening the app
Certainly have not given up, in fact due to the responses here we are looking into a push alert type system that is always on and running in the background...I am thinking it would include a website where users register and set the thresholds for the alerts they want. For instance the user could select from one or more alerts for different things, like the stock market dropping more than 200 points in one hour, and an M-Class solar flare potential of more than 50% and a defcon level of more than 3, after the user sets these parameters, if any of these parameters are met at any time, the app would alert the user....

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,784 Posts
Certainly have not given up, in fact due to the responses here we are looking into a push alert type system that is always on and running in the background...I am thinking it would include a website where users register and set the thresholds for the alerts they want. For instance the user could select from one or more alerts for different things, like the stock market dropping more than 200 points in one hour, and an M-Class solar flare potential of more than 50% and a defcon level of more than 3, after the user sets these parameters, if any of these parameters are met at any time, the app would alert the user....
This ^ I like. :)

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
Why is everything geared towards the iPhone and Droid these days? Whatever happened to providing apps for our good old Blackberries and Treos?

:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts