Survivalist Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully not the screwdriver given the 3 on 1 "trained" LEO's against the 90 pound kid. "We haven't got time for this...." Late for Dunkin Donuts hook up or COPS reruns? I wonder. Seriously though, LE nationwide has to get tired of these incidents. It's no wonder you can't get quality people in LE. I don't feel sorry for them, I guess I don't know what to feel. You call for help and this is what you get? "To protect and to serve." Not so much I think. This is very similar to the case in IA a few months ago.

http://bearingarms.com/southport-nc...allegedly-stating-we-dont-have-time-for-this/

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
It is so sad that they will most likely determine that the police officer was not at fault. All he has to say is that he felt threatened. The kid had a weapon and was lunging at them with a screw driver. He was protecting himself and his fellow officers. Shooting the kid was reasonable in light of the circumstances.

It is a hard lesson this family had to learn. My heart goes out to them.

·
Never compromise.
5,674 Posts
Cops aren't social workers. Or doctors. Or in most cases, even a paramedic. They are trained to respond to violence WITH violence. If you wanted people better suited to putting your out of control kid in the car, then you should have called the Fire Department. Or, EMS. The kid was so out of control that his dad felt the need to call for the cops in the first place. Think about that one.

Now, me personally.......I think the officer who shot the kid was out of line. Especially after saying what he said. He'll be lucky to avoid jail time if he can. But his career is over. I'm thinking rookie from a small, backwater department.

I'm actually cool with the taser being used if the kid amped back up. But, what I want to know is......

Both of the other officers were on this kid. The kid's dad was on him. In what alternate reality was this guy/girl/whoever living in that instead of piling in and helping out.......he's going to pull his pistol, reach in between everyone and start cranking off rounds?

I don't see it. Unless there is something else that we're not being told, it don't look good for the officer who fired the shot.

·
Banned
3,085 Posts
Cops aren't social workers. Or doctors. Or in most cases, even a paramedic. They are trained to respond to violence WITH violence. If you wanted people better suited to putting your out of control kid in the car, then you should have called the Fire Department. Or, EMS. The kid was so out of control that his dad felt the need to call for the cops in the first place. Think about that one.

Now, me personally.......I think the officer who shot the kid was out of line. Especially after saying what he said. He'll be lucky to avoid jail time if he can. But his career is over. I'm thinking rookie from a small, backwater department.

I'm actually cool with the taser being used if the kid amped back up. But, what I want to know is......

Both of the other officers were on this kid. The kid's dad was on him. In what alternate reality was this guy/girl/whoever living in that instead of piling in and helping out.......he's going to pull his pistol, reach in between everyone and start cranking off rounds?

I don't see it. Unless there is something else that we're not being told, it don't look good for the officer who fired the shot.
The only thing we agree on is that IF this cop did what is alleged he did then he should fry for it.

It is obvious that the other officers respected his commands, why?

If the kid was violent, bringing in EMTs or firemen would of just been a waste of time because they would of just called the cops.

Why didn't the cops talk with the parents about sedating him and then take him to the mental hospital?

I'm interested to know why the father or the mother for that matter, didn't take control of the situation. If my kid becomes violent and is a problem, he won't be a problem for long.

If you subdue your kid and zip tie him up for the cops or EMTs to come get will you be charged with involuntary imprisonment or other?

·
Super Moderator
15,727 Posts
The only thing we agree on is that IF this cop did what is alleged he did then he should fry for it.

It is obvious that the other officers respected his commands, why?

If the kid was violent, bringing in EMTs or firemen would of just been a waste of time because they would of just called the cops.

Why didn't the cops talk with the parents about sedating him and then take him to the mental hospital?

I'm interested to know why the father or the mother for that matter, didn't take control of the situation. If my kid becomes violent and is a problem, he won't be a problem for long.

If you subdue your kid and zip tie him up for the cops or EMTs to come get will you be charged with involuntary imprisonment or other?
Wouldnt surprise me.

·
¡Salga de aquí!
4,290 Posts
I have been acquainted with a couple people who have made news headlines with outrageous allegations. If I didn't know better I would have been right there in the comment section yelling "Hang'em high!". In both instances charges were dropped or not even filed. It makes me wonder what is really going on with every sensational headline I read. Ever since then I try to reserve judgment until the facts come out. This particular story will be interesting when the details do come out. Could be years...

·
Never compromise.
5,674 Posts
The only thing we agree on is that IF this cop did what is alleged he did then he should fry for it. Yeah. Something seems missing here. But if it went down like the article says, some harsh punishment needs to be handed out.

It is obvious that the other officers respected his commands, why? No....its not obvious. The officer who fired the shot was from a different department from the first two. For starters, the first two were not in the shooter's chain of command. They don't have to take his orders. Second....from the article, the situation calmed down, and the kid got amped up when the third officer arrived. Having dealt with mental people before, the kid *could* have been set off again simply by seeing officer 3. I'm not saying that's what happened, but its possible. I've seen it. So, talking didn't work....tasers were suggested, and the fight was on. I've been there, done that. I still can't make the mental leap to the shooting though. The first two, along with the dad, went hands on after the taser was deployed.....so apparently it *did* work. They, from what I can gather were trying to turn him over to cuff him...and the kid still had the screwdriver.

If the kid was violent, bringing in EMTs or firemen would of just been a waste of time because they would of just called the cops. Mentals were, at least when I was still lawin', transported by EMS. Like I said, cops ain't doctors. I'd cuff and leg iron them to the stretcher and follow them to the hospital to get my hardware back. Besides, sometimes a cute EMT can talk someone into doing something that I couldn't. Its all about thinking outside the box.

Why didn't the cops talk with the parents about sedating him and then take him to the mental hospital? May not have had the drugs on hand. Or, since the kid was amped up, you probably couldn't have gotten the drugs in him without a fight so we're back to square one. That goes back to having EMS on scene though. Get a Dr's permission to give the kid the good stuff. Pile up on him where he can't move, and it's night night, termite.

I'm interested to know why the father or the mother for that matter, didn't take control of the situation. If my kid becomes violent and is a problem, he won't be a problem for long. They either can't, or won't. You'd be surprised at the parents who refuse to take responsibility for their progeny. But when the cops do something they don't agree with, they are all up in arms.

Not in my experience you wouldn't. But then again, I'm from the south and we have a little more common sense. If you were in, say....California........you'd be taking your chances with the moonbats out there.

·
Military MOM
4,766 Posts
I was a paramedic in Alabama. Every state laws are different, even tho we have a National Registry. This is a tough one. I would like to hear the 911 call to the police, because if the child was mentally ill, they would have sent paramedics anyway. I would also like to see this play out and see EXACTLY what proof that the child has a mental disorder. That is a big problem, my kid has this, my kid has that, don't hurt him, but we can't handle him. Now, if this kid was tasered several times, and 3 grown men on him, how did the cop get that shot off, AND what was really going on? JMO because I have dealt with these situations before.

·
ΙΧΘΥΣ
9,746 Posts
I'm posting again because I have mixed feelings on this topic. *If* the officer made that comment, it was a terrible thing to say and an even worse thing for him to do. If, however, he genuinely felt his or others' lives were in danger, what would you have had him do? Like I said...mixed feelings.

I have to believe that three grown men could over power a 90 lb. kid, even if he was armed with a weapon (unless it was a gun). Then again, I've heard stories where people not in their right mind exhibit uncommon strength.

Regardless, it's a sad story.

·
Never compromise.
5,674 Posts
I'm posting again because I have mixed feelings on this topic. *If* the officer made that comment, it was a terrible thing to say and an even worse thing for him to do. If, however, he genuinely felt his or others' lives were in danger, what would you have had him do? Like I said...mixed feelings.

I have to believe that three grown men could over power a 90 lb. kid, even if he was armed with a weapon (unless it was a gun). Then again, I've heard stories where people not in their right mind exhibit uncommon strength.

Regardless, it's a sad story.
You're right. And I really do appreciate your measured response.

I want more information because this just is just not sitting right with me. I mean, theoretically it could happen. But I really can't see any officer saying "We don't have time for this"....*bang.*

That's a little too....sociopathic. I want more facts to be honest.

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
Do we have time for this?

Maybe everyone should have just left the house and it could have been surrounded with 200 police cars. They could have called in a negotiated to talk to him over a loudspeaker. We could have had choppers in the air with live news coverage.

. . . . or, we can taze the SOB, handcuff him and get back to some murder investigation. . . . or hell, even eating donuts. Free up to LEO for the next call.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
3 cops with tasers and batons should easily be able to take on a kid without firearms, and just about any adult too.

Using a gun in that situation is very excessive force.

·
Banned
3,085 Posts
Not in my experience you wouldn't. But then again, I'm from the south and we have a little more common sense. If you were in, say....California........you'd be taking your chances with the moonbats out there.

From WA, self transplanted to CA, transplanting out ASAP... In either state it would likely be false imprisonment even if it is your kid. That's why I asked, not clear on it.

I had a girlfriend one time that........ well, lets just say silence is golden, duct tape is silver. :D:

That's a joke, a joke I tell ya.....

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.