Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would take you all through our preperations and the way I am approching showing the little ones the ropes.

After getting our supplies together over the last few weeks, we are now ready to take our first big camping trip! You guessed it, the back yard. This may seem a bit of a baby step but concidering we have to deal with a 3 year old I feel this is a great step to get our daughter aclimatized to camping.

This will also give the wife and I time to figure out how we want to set up our camp. Knowing what to do and where to put things will make our future camping trips so much more fun.

I figure we will do this a few times, then, before Shadow gets too pregnant, we may try our hand at a campsite just out of town.

I will let you all know how it goes!

Wish us luck!

·
Insert Clever Phrase Here
526 Posts
I think it's a great idea. Better to be right out your door in case the lil' one doesn't take to camping initially, you can bring her inside. Good luck.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
awesome! we are about t o have our first campout.... in the living room with our 2 year old! good luck and I hope you guys have a blast!

·
Inglorious Deplorable
21,135 Posts
The best part is you will not have to sit in the car for 5 hours getting out of town. Nothing more convenient then the back yard.

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
I started my daughter camping when she was still in diapers, and kept it up until her teens. She hiked mountain trails and went tubing on rivers, and a ton of other outdoor activities.

I also taught her to shoot as well. Get them young train them right.:thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just make sure that you have some sort of mattress with you.

Took the wife camping for a night in provincial park last year, and forgot the mattress at home. Haven't been able to convince her to go back since. :xeye:

And I thought that it wouldn't matter to me since I've done plenty of camping before (with and without those micro mattresses that are surprisingly effective)...well let's just say that I think that the ground has gotten a lot harder in the last 15 years. :headshake:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Summary of last nights events....

Due to a monster of a spider bit the morning before, we wasted 2 hours at urgent care to make sure all was ok with baby girl. This started us late at camping.

Using oiur fire pit, we cooked up some fantastic foil dinners and soup. Baby girl ran around the "campsite" all before and after dinner. I was not able to get the tent set up until later but the little one found that incredibly interesting as well.

We had some smores and then went to bed about 10:30ish. It was at this point that the quote below hit us.

Just make sure that you have some sort of mattress with you.
Our sleeping mats have not gotten to our house yet. The yard is hard to explain. It is as if the entire yard was hit but baseball sized and progressivly smaller meteors so that the entire yard is feels like you are sleeping on painful egg crates put side by side. We got some padding out there and could have handled it but this was nail one in the coffin.

Nail two was baby girl chasing the dogs all over the tent. Yes thier nails are all taken care of so as not to hurt the tent and they just wanted to lay there anyway. Baby girl was laughing and playing until about midnight.

Nail three was the humidity. Wow it was a swamp last night and there was NO wind to be found. Once again not a deal killer but definatly a part of it.

So with those three things, we decided to head in. With how hasty this was, I think we did ok for the first go. I was able to figure out a few things we really need for our camp that we didnt have and prayed for a speedy delivery of the things we have on order, sleeping mats.

Shadow did great even for being 24 weeks preggers. I think we may wait to add her into the mix until she is not though. I could not believe she wanted to be out there for so long! She is such a trooper and loves to camp.

I will keep you allinformed about our next adventure!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My parents were avid campers long before I was born. They took me camping all over the country as I grew up but, back yard camping was always special cuz you had the thrill of camping & the convience of home. :thumb:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All this, and no picture if a s'mores covered toddler sitting next to the tent?
She was too busy running around the yard with her wagon to eat a smore.....I ate hers for her lol.

Nice job! Next steps to be taken?
Finish up with the gear we need. (small camping table, tripod for the water and various cooking utensils)

Once we got that keep taking baby girl out and showing her how to get to sleep. lol

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My son isnt quite two yet so I bought a three wheeled stroller thats all terrain and jogging capable. We wander around the park trails for miles. We'll get out walk around at certain points like abandon buildings and geography points. It amazes me how patient he is out in the woods as long as he has a stick to command me around with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was a great training exercise though. We foiund what we needed for camping and where we need work on.

Have to start somewhere and it can only get better from here.

:D:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I took my first son camping at age 3 months old. The second was 6 months old. I used a twin air mattress for each child after age 2. Prior I had a travel play pin for their bed. I use a Queen air bed for myself. Always works out great.

My youngest is now 20 and he went out on his first campout this weekend as an adult taking his girlfriend. I did run up there to show them how to setup the tent and put his camp together. I am so glad he carried his love for camping into adulthood. They stayed all weekend by themselves and had a ball. He said he learned the value of a good campstove and a good lantern as irreplaceable. As a mom this made me very proud.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts