Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ancient Flint striking knife,forged by sticks.

Flint striking knife.

These were probably the first real steel knives that were used in the woods in ancient times.

This knife was forged from lawn edging shears.

As you can see from the pictures i cut the basic shape with a hand grinder,this would have been done with a basic blank in old times so there wouldn't have been a need to do this.

First i drew out the tang with the hammer then shaped the blade out using hammers.

I then used hammers to put a basic bevel on the knife.

The next step was to shape the tang.the first part of this process starts with the fold at the tip,which was done with pliers and then hammerd.

then the next fold was done with pliers.

the largest fold was done last and if you take a look at the wood block you will see a metal rod sticking up,the last fold was bent around this using pliers and then a hammer.

I use railway track as my anvil.

Then i used a water wheel to finnish the bevel,in ancient times the black smith would have had an apprentice turning the wheel by hand and he would have pumped the bellows,well electric worked the wheel and i pumped the bellows,co's i an't got no apprentice:xeye:

Then i put the blade back in the forge and got it red hot,touched it on a magnet,it was not magnetic so i dipped it in motor oil.

The last part in the making of this knife will be to clean it up and temper it for 20 minutes at 350 degree's,then give it a good sharpen on mt stones.

Im going to have to make some char cloth and try this ancient method of fire starting out,i have natural flint in the area i live:thumb:

Attachments

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It's been cleaned and tempered.

ive gave it a good sharpen,you see the red thats blood,my blood:xeye:

Yes instead of water on my diamond i used blood:eek: it was not done on purpose but there you go:thumb:

I give my sweat and blood for you guys:p

Theres a little more smoothing to be done on the bevel.

The design is a mix between arabic in the blade shape and Old English in the flint striker.

the Original English flint striker knife would have had a strait spine and not curve like this one has.

Attachments

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is GOOD and you are getting the forging bug now.I like the rustic metal. Next a puuko.
Ive got a few other ideas before i even bother with a puukko,i already own a good one and would like to work on making the more traditional English type knives.:thumb:

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Mate, that is simply beautiful, you made an awesome job of that.
Every time you mention a new project, I get excited as I know that it will be even better than the previous one.

Keep 'em coming.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mate, that is simply beautiful, you made an awesome job of that.
Every time you mention a new project, I get excited as I know that it will be even better than the previous one.

Keep 'em coming.
I love this style of knife,as i said im going to go and get some flint,make some char cloth and do a thread on ancient fire lighting:thumb:

i will keep um coming if folk are still interested Mate,to be honest i think there getting a bit fed up with my knife making threads.:( .

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
And i will keep um coming if folks are interested Mate,to be honest i think there getting a bit fed up with my knife making threads.:(
You know theres always a group of us that really enjoy them mate, and if the others don't, well thats their loss. :thumb:

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know theres always a group of us that really enjoy them mate, and if the others don't, well thats their loss. :thumb:
I think its ran its course mate.

Check out what threads get most hits,i bought this knife kinda threads?.

I think this thread would have been better off in primative skills.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Keep them coming sticks, and everyone for that matter. I enjoy reading these threads, I don't post in them much but rest assured I am using your information and skills to try and motivate myself.

Matter of fact it was one of your threads that inspired me to look into a few new knives, one of which I think I am going to buy and tinker with is the Mercator. I think this thing will be useful EXCEPT that I worry about it being a cheap copy of the original. I searched for a few hours for an original but that was a waste of time it seemed.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Keep them coming sticks, and everyone for that matter. I enjoy reading these threads, I don't post in them much but rest assured I am using your information and skills to try and motivate myself.

Matter of fact it was one of your threads that inspired me to look into a few new knives, one of which I think I am going to buy and tinker with is the Mercator. I think this thing will be useful EXCEPT that I worry about it being a cheap copy of the original. I searched for a few hours for an original but that was a waste of time it seemed.
Goodo then mate, it's the carbon bladed one marked with Solingen that you want.:thumb:
Also the plastic end cap will be red.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks Bro.

I think TE HOPO is the man to talk to about the Mercator Bud:thumb:

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Goodo then mate, it's the carbon bladed one marked with Solingen that you want.:thumb:
Also the plastic end cap will be red.
Your a bit quick tonight Te,i just posted that your the man to talk to about that knife and you get in before i can finish:D:

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Your a bit quick tonight Te,i just posted that your the man to talk to about that knife and you get in befor i can finish:D:
I noticed, and it's morn here, managed 4hours sleep after last nights concert, and am feeling surprisingly good.

·
yep that's me
573 Posts
I love this style of knife,as i said im going to go and get some flint,make some char cloth and do a thread on ancient fire lighting:thumb:

i will keep um coming if folk are still interested Mate,to be honest i think there getting a bit fed up with my knife making threads.:( .
definately keep them coming sticks, I'm very interested in learning all I can from first hand experience

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Bitchin' man...bitchin'. Looks like a Cambodian knife I have. You have an artistic side to you that you've been hiding from the world. Next thing you know...you'll be sculpting statues and stuff.:)

Reactions: AncientBrit
1 - 20 of 33 Posts