Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
23,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

From the article:

An intense drought is shrinking rivers across Europe, revealing stones carved centuries ago to give future generations a warning of hard times ahead. The Miami Herald reported that locals said the centuries-old boulders, known as "hunger stones," reappeared last week as rivers in Europe ran dry due to drought conditions. One such stone is on the banks of the Elbe River, which begins in the Czech Republic and flows through Germany. The boulder dates back to 1616 and is etched with a warning in German: "Wenn du mich seehst, dann weine" — "If you see me, weep"

Automotive tire Wood Handwriting Plant Grass

·
That'll be the day...
5,213 Posts
There's stories from Spanish Catholic Missions in New Mexico where the drought was so bad in the 15-1600's (somewhere in there), where the Priests were eating cow hide, trying to survive... and all of them ultimately died of starvation.

Weather patterns cycle and there are good times and really, really bad times. If you can't move and be fluid.... you will die.

Of course, in our world today, I can eat Chicken from Oklahoma, Pork from Missouri and Beef from Kansas. I can eat apples and pears from South America. And I can eat Romaine Lettuce from a hydroponics plant.... 50 miles away.

And hell.... if we are really starving to death, we can eat crickets from that insect farm in Canada.

We live in a very different age and time these days.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
There's stories from Spanish Catholic Missions in New Mexico where the drought was so bad in the 15-1600's (somewhere in there), where the Priests were eating cow hide, trying to survive... and all of them ultimately died of starvation.

Weather patterns cycle and there are good times and really, really bad times. If you can't move and be fluid.... you will die.

Of course, in our world today, I can eat Chicken from Oklahoma, Pork from Missouri and Beef from Kansas. I can eat apples and pears from South America. And I can eat Romaine Lettuce from a hydroponics plant.... 50 miles away.

And hell.... if we are really starving to death, we can eat crickets from that insect farm in Canada.

We live in a very different age and time these days.
sure you can as long as the supply lines are working ,,and the last year or so has shown us how reliable that is

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

From the article:

An intense drought is shrinking rivers across Europe, revealing stones carved centuries ago to give future generations a warning of hard times ahead. The Miami Herald reported that locals said the centuries-old boulders, known as "hunger stones," reappeared last week as rivers in Europe ran dry due to drought conditions. One such stone is on the banks of the Elbe River, which begins in the Czech Republic and flows through Germany. The boulder dates back to 1616 and is etched with a warning in German: "Wenn du mich seehst, dann weine" — "If you see me, weep"

View attachment 459828
That's pretty cool.

·
Desperta Ferro!
2,598 Posts
Also, the article's author misspelled one of the words, and the translation was slightly off, too.
Look at the rock (the verbiage is etched upside down). The story's author incorrectly used a double E instead of ie in the word 'siehst'.
The translation is different, but, the meaning is nearly the same, though.

"Wenn du mich siehst, dann weine."

"If you see me, then cry."

In German, weine means cry, but weinen means weep. It's a subtle difference, but the latter word is an escalation of the word, meaning to cry more profusely.

Regardless, the story is interesting. It makes me wonder if the river level is natural occurring or has been manually manipulated to achieve the desired effect.

·
That'll be the day...
5,213 Posts
sure you can as long as the supply lines are working ,,and the last year or so has shown us how reliable that is
I suppose it can get bad.... but I am tired and fed up with all the alarmist hype. Not once... Not a single trip to the Grocery Store over the past two years, was I not able to get what I wanted.

Sure, there were times where beef was low and I purchased pork. And times where pasta was not available, but rice and beans were stacked 10 feet high.

Yes... I have a HUGE storage room that will carry the wife and I for 3-4 years. And.. .we are now rotating and beginning to use expired foods (which are just fine, by the way).... but I have no worries.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Yes... I have a HUGE storage room that will carry the wife and I for 3-4 years. And.. .we are now rotating and beginning to use expired foods (which are just fine, by the way).... but I have no worries.
I expect you have the weapons and the manpower to defend it when everyone else runs out of food.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

From the article:

View attachment 459828
I'm curious why all the inscriptions are upside down. Also, there were similar droughts in 1911, 1930 and 1934, apparently.

Germany and central Europe could find normal life tricky this winter, with expensive food and no gas. Luckily there is no history of people being prepared to fight for such things in that area.

·
Registered
23,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm curious why all the inscriptions are upside down.
My wife asked the same thing.

My guess is that it's just easier, you can lay down while you're carving, since presumably it took a little while.

·
Registered
23,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I suppose it can get bad.... but I am tired and fed up with all the alarmist hype. Not once... Not a single trip to the Grocery Store over the past two years, was I not able to get what I wanted.

Sure, there were times where beef was low and I purchased pork. And times where pasta was not available, but rice and beans were stacked 10 feet high.

everything works until it doesn't

famines and hunger are a fact of human life that the so-called industrialized world hasn't significantly experienced in a few generations. but it definitely could.

for those biblically inclined among you, remember revelation 6:6. there is some future in which famine is so great, that a man's entire day's wage will barely supply enough food for himself, with none left for anyone else. a terrible thought to consider. but one we cannot ignore

2,766 Posts
I shared this with my oldest son. We argue now and then and we ancient, dumb old people who question "global warming" are so annoying.
I am all about stopping pollution, habitat destruction, the squandering of the earth's resources but I also suspect we will enter another long term cooling trend and if you wrap your whole existence around the church of global warming, it's going to be tough to take. I won't list the many things that change the earth's climate. Most of y'all know.
I saw a super scary heat map yesterday and Va. was on it. I'ts just so terrible.... except it isn't. It's a load of crap at least for Va. This has been the coolest Aug. I have seen in a long long time. Here are the highs for today and the next nine:
79 81 83 83 80 82 84 82 81 82. I saw a Winter forecast recently that suggests another weak warm Winter.
So far the same sources have been wrong about the terrible hurricane season we were supposed to have.. and the record setting heat that just isn't in my area. Maybe they have the Winter forecast wrong as well?

It really alarms me that my own children have swallowed the Global Warming agenda without questioning it.
We are more conservative than average politically.
I have the double black mark of not liking Bitcoin and questioning the global warming agenda. I am probably not salvageable. The wife-unit's brother is a big BTC pusher so she is receptive to it. Maybe she can be saved? I hope so.

·
Registered
23,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I shared this with my oldest son. We argue now and then and we ancient, dumb old people who question "global warming" are so annoying.
I am all about stopping pollution, habitat destruction, the squandering of the earth's resources but I also suspect we will enter another long term cooling trend and if you wrap your whole existence around the church of global warming, it's going to be tough to take. I won't list the many things that change the earth's climate. Most of y'all know.
I saw a super scary heat map yesterday and Va. was on it. I'ts just so terrible.... except it isn't. It's a load of crap at least for Va. This has been the coolest Aug. I have seen in a long long time. Here are the highs for today and the next nine:
79 81 83 83 80 82 84 82 81 82. I saw a Winter forecast recently that suggests another weak warm Winter.
So far the same sources have been wrong about the terrible hurricane season we were supposed to have.. and the record setting heat that just isn't in my area. Maybe they have the Winter forecast wrong as well?

It really alarms me that my own children have swallowed the Global Warming agenda without questioning it.
We are more conservative than average politically.
I have the double black mark of not liking Bitcoin and questioning the global warming agenda. I am probably not salvageable. The wife-unit's brother is a big BTC pusher so she is receptive to it. Maybe she can be saved? I hope so.
Imo people who are serious about global warming are preparing to ensure actual change in climate. Carbon credits and net neutral and ESG are not that.

For people living in Las Vegas it hardly matters whether the cause is a macro change in climate or just a local change that will last a few years or a decade. We don't live decades at a time. We live one day at a time. If you run out of water and die after 1 year, it hardly matters what happens the other 29. I think it's a misnomer that people think the Earth will not survive significant changes in climate. Of course the Earth will survive, and so will humanity, but that doesn't mean everyone will survive.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts