Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fort Knox Defender now and want to bolt it to the floor. Who makes the strongest bolts that I can get? I am looking for a legit real sticker that an expert would recoginize. Not sure if I want a "warning black powder", Highly explosive, fire works storage etc. Whats the most dangerous thing that I could get on a sticker so a smart thief would not use a welder to get in it? Where can I get legit signs?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Bolting it to the floor means it still can be tipped over--bolting to the wall studs and the floor, it isn't going anywhere...

If all you can do is the floor then get a large metal plate a couple of inches wider then the base of the safe, drill corresponding holes to the ones in your safe floor, stick the bolt through the floor of the safe and your floor and through the holes in the metal plate--weld the bolt heads to the metal plate and use a washer and bolt inside your safe (so you can move it if you have to)...this should go across at least two floor joists and then there is no way in Hell they can tip it over, put it on a piano dolly and wheel it out the door...

Do you really think that some punk ass B & Eer is going to be carrying around welding equipment? If they are, they have cased your place and know you won't be back for hours and do you really think they'll be intimidated by a couple of signs...

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
A "smart thief"? Isn't that an oxymoron?
There was a case of a B&E in a nearby town where the would-be thieves broke into a vacation home during the winter. They worked for at least three days trying to get the Liberty safe open. Never got 'er done. I saw the safe at our local dealer, it was torn up pretty bad. They tried to saw it open with some kind of power saw, then cut it open with a torch. No luck. Company replaced the safe for free.
A friend had a big safe in his house. Came home one night and found his door open, inside the floors and walls were torn up where the thieves had evidently hooked a cable and winch, mayby a tow truck?, to his safe and dragged it out. Had it been bolted to the floor and walls they could not have tipped it to get the cable around it. Lesson learned.
I'd suggest you go to the local Ace Hardware store and ask them for hardened bolts that will do the job, bolts, nuts, washers and lock washers for the floor and lag screws for the wall. Expect them to be much more expensive than ordinary bolts, especially for the long ones to go through the floor. Then go to a steel fabrication place and get some steel plate for under the floor. I'd get two smaller plates, one each for front/back or left/right sides depending on how the floor joists run, rather than one big plate. Makes it easier to handle in the crawl space. Be sure measurments are exact to line upwith the bolt holes in your safe.

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
If the thief is "smart", then he wouldn't try to devise a way to move the safe or cut into it directly, but to breach the lock that's on it. A safe just keeps dumb criminals out. As long as you have insurance you should be alright even with what a dumb criminal does to your property.

·
Join Us.
186 Posts
I have a Fort Knox Defender now and want to bolt it to the floor. Who makes the strongest bolts that I can get? I am looking for a legit real sticker that an expert would recoginize. Not sure if I want a "warning black powder", Highly explosive, fire works storage etc. Whats the most dangerous thing that I could get on a sticker so a smart thief would not use a welder to get in it? Where can I get legit signs?
"Caution: Ex-wife"

Seriously though, I would unfortunately vote you booby trap the safe. Less expensive, less work, and if the theves are the type to be that hard after weapons to harm innocent people...I agree with Gronk; "They deserve to eat door"!

Be careful about how liberal your state laws are though, out here some a-hole can break in your house, stub their toe on the way into your daughter's bedroom and sue you for bodily harm...and WIN! -no B.S.

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
Who makes the strongest bolts that I can get?
I really think you're looking at this wrong.
...but one question needs to be asked: "is this a concrete floor or a wood one?"

Where can I get legit signs?
Like "Inside there's really REALLY valuable stuff, so DO NOT TAKE!!!" ?

I agree w/a lot of the sentiment here---way overkill.

But if you're concerned about it, wood floor/walls won't help you out in the least bit. I'd lag it down to the basement (concrete) floor and foundation (concrete) walls. But that brings up, "how?"
If you can drill thru it, can't someone else? And if one can drill thru it, one s/b able to cut thru it?

IMO, I'd "hide things in plain sight".

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
There is a nationwide company called FASTENAL..Do a Google search for the nearest location...They sell all the industrial fasteners you would want...Might i suggest using the thickest heat treated logging chain and wrapping thru the fasteners mounted in concrete and around the safe as an added level of security,it works great that way :thumb:............

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I really think you're looking at this wrong.
...but one question needs to be asked: "is this a concrete floor or a wood one?"

Like "Inside there's really REALLY valuable stuff, so DO NOT TAKE!!!" ?

I agree w/a lot of the sentiment here---way overkill.

But if you're concerned about it, wood floor/walls won't help you out in the least bit. I'd lag it down to the basement (concrete) floor and foundation (concrete) walls. But that brings up, "how?"
If you can drill thru it, can't someone else? And if one can drill thru it, one s/b able to cut thru it?

IMO, I'd "hide things in plain sight".
Actually, good safes come with factory pre-drilled holes for bolting to floor and walls.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Grade eight are the strongest civilian grade, The bolts you get at home improvement stores is typically grade 5. Better than grade 8, is military A/N grade. (Aircraft/naval) They can be found at aircraft parts suppliers like Aircraft Spruce. Grade eights can be bought at industrial supply houses like MSC or Grainger, and some farm supply stores. If you want to spend like ten bucks a bolt, you can get titanium.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
If the theives have time, which they often do, they'll drill a safe marked with any kind of explosive material, and fill it with water before popping it. Matter of fact, I remember seeing one safe cracker interviewed that said he liked filling safes with water anyway because it increased the pressures of his explosives while muffling the sound of the blast.

But they'll always find a way in them, regardless ...

Here's a good article on buying a good safe and the proper ways to attach it to whatever ... which, btw, would not be wooden floor joists if it were me. We bolted ours directly to a concrete pad - it's not going anywhere without some major major effort.

You wanna use case hardened R/C 38-45 bolts btw.

Reactions: Amra910

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Bear in mind one thing about booby trapping your safe/home/business whatever...if someone is hurt or worse killed besides going to jail--and you will--your business/home is now theirs (or their family) in the subsequent law suit that you have absolutely no chance of drawing let alone winning...

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whats a common explosive that would scare a smart thief. I want to put an authentic decal that will deter experiance thieves. Is there a common flamable substance such as black powder or fireworks that would make it dangerous for them to simply drill or hit with a sledge hammer? Im sure anything will deter them from welding but whats something that would really scare them.

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
Whats a common explosive that would scare a smart thief.
black cat firecracker. Or a plate dropping. A door opening. A car door opening then closing. The garage door opening.

I want to put an authentic decal that will deter experiance thieves.
If you find one, let me know. I want to put one on my luggage. I'm tired of finding it opened.

Im sure anything will deter them from welding but whats something that would really scare them.
A fire alarm?
"Danger, carpet WILL catch on fire!" ?

·
Join Us.
186 Posts
My safe is going to take at least 3-4 hours to get in, and that's with the right tools and no distractions. It's also empty!

I have a hand written note taped to the inside back wall of it that says;

"If you had a job, and you worked this hard there - you would at least have something to show for your effort."

Also;

"You stole some of my possessions, I stole some of your time.
I can buy these possessions over again, you can not gain more time.
I win :)"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.