Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
High Concept
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take olive oil with you in your pack. It is a brillant fire starter, its great for heating and lighting, and it is a excellent energy food.
I remember the lads wasting all the matches but one in awful weather.

I quickly told them not to light that last match, and let me work on the fire, and I got them to gather more wood.

When they came back they were amazed I had a roaring fire so quickly. Olive oil saved our lives in that cold weather, if we didn't get heating and hot food down, we would not have made it.
Olive oil makes the kindling burn far longer, and is brilliant when you are stuck with damp wood.

Another great use is the long lasting lamp.
Make wick from cotton string. Seven equal lengths and held together by paper staples crimped around it in intervals.

Make a foil dish into an old lamp shape, put wick in and let soak, light the wick.
You can light, heat your shelter, and cook with olive oil.

This is for real emergencies.

As a food all the guys knew that if you didn't swig your olive oil on a big walk, you would get to the end in poor shape to fight. You would lose condition, and have to recover for a week.

Each meal take a nip of olive oil.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
being a old history teacher I had forgotten that --- thanks

lamps were run on olive oil in Roman times

·
High Concept
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes it can same as veggie oil can be :thumb: oilive oil lamps was use in biblical times. when indiana jone goes into ancient ruins and finds a bowl of oil to light the room, that is the oil he finds oilive oil
i never thought about it to be used as to start a camp fire. good multi use item
Its an excellent fire starter, in the worst horrible conditions. When everyone else is whining and bitching that they can't light a fire with all their fancy dooviwackers, you will be toasting your toes smugly. Olive oil has been used for dry skin and rashes, its used as a lip balm in extreme exposures.

I get cracked heals in cold weather, olive oil rubbed into the heals sorts it out. This also kills foot fungus.

Wind burn can be prevented by rubbing olive oil into your face. If you put olive oil on your face first, your camo cream is easier to take off.

Use olive oil instead of shave cream, it works great for a clean shave.

I use olive oil on my sharpening stone.

If the kids get lice, olive oil physically sufficates them. Those bloody kids.

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
That is cool!! Never thought about that, as a cook, olive oil is used more because of the heat it can take...never knew is was as flammable.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
ever hear of a kitchen fire usualy when grease or oil catches fire
they just need more heat to burn than some other materials i think lard catches fire round 400-500 degrees you can use prety much any cooking oil for a fire i alwayse use the stuff thats gone rancid so im not wasting good food but it burns pretty clean

·
You looking at me!
4,028 Posts
I Dont use Extra virgin olive oil to cook with as its flavour is lost when heated.

Olive oil contains chlorophyll so never buy it in clear containers as light destroys this and you lose some nutritional value.

But its a really great produc for your health.

If you suffer from ear wax a couple of drops in the ear then cotton wool and over a couple of days it loosens the wax, Olive oil is also slightly acidic.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
If you suffer from ear wax a couple of drops in the ear then cotton wool and over a couple of days it loosens the wax, Olive oil is also slightly acidic.
I was actually prescribed this by a doctor in college when I had ear wax issues. It felt gross, but it worked!

·
DEFCON 4
6,583 Posts
I Dont use Extra virgin olive oil to cook with as its flavour is lost when heated.

Olive oil contains chlorophyll so never buy it in clear containers as light destroys this and you lose some nutritional value.

But its a really great produc for your health.

absolutley correct!!!! regular olive oil also tastes better after heating....:thumb: especially when you add garlic,thyme,fresh ground pepper, fresh grated parmesian cheese and top it over some spaghetti... add a few chunks prosicuitto a nice glass of wine and you are ready to go.. almost vegetarian dinner that is cheap and filling...

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
Great post! I told the wife this today, and she said "we got two gallons of EVOO in the pantry". Heh, we do buy in larger containers when possible.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts