Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
M14 was/is a great weapon saw some impressive shots in Nam.
First weapon I was issued was an M14 have loved them ever since.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
That video lost credibillity when it classified the M-14 as a "failure."
It lost credibility for me when he said that the M14 is a "full automatic" weapon.
If this is the case, then why is there a selector lever located behind the op-rod/ just south of the rear sight?....:rolleyes:

..... and how did 7.62x51mm holes end up in the helmet if he missed consistently.....:confused:

My wife told me to quit thinkin so much on account that I'll end up breakin the part that still works.

11B

·
high on truck stop coffee
16,517 Posts
great vid..I also liked the Army issued M-14,I qualified expert with it a loong time ago,but the black rifle has far more advantages.One night on guard duty I shot mine for over an hour without any probs.

I agree with this test.give me an AR-15 anyday.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What a load of s**t fired the m14 full auto and the m16 in semi so surprise more hits with the m16 no way. And the Stoner part a total lie his original rifle was not 5.56. Won't say more as i may start to rant.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I was skimming through youtube today and found this. Forgive the subtitles.

YouTube- Compare M14 With M16
An interesting clip. I've never fired an M14 or an M16. I do own a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 (AR-15). I really do enjoy firing this rifle. I've owned standard deer rifles (Winchester 30.30, Springfield 30.06, and a Winchester .270) for most of my life but there's none I like firing more than my AR.

·
Numquam Succumbe
4,173 Posts
Good video, although there are some unsatisfying "facts" to the scrutinous.

I had an Springfield M1A and I *LOVED* that gun. Then I started carrying around the magazines for it. .308 is HEAVYYYY. The M16 platform is all around better, I think. Especially now that I can't see past 400 yards with iron sights anyways. :p

The one thing that M1A did that my M16 and Bushmaster XM15 never even came close to doing was turning EVERYTHING into concealment.

If, while I was carrying my 5.56 in some kind of wild SHTF scenario, and I came under attack by someone shooting 7.62x51, I would honestly probably retreat if I didn't have some water or earth berm to hide behind. That round will make swiss cheese out of trees, cars, houses, gas pumps, etcetera, and sticking it in a M14 platform with 20 rounds box magazines hardly comes close to a "failure." :thumb:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ever wonder where all the M14's went?

Answer: It was the 1960's and these weapons were distributed all over America from local armories to police stations.

Last year some local cops "discovered" crates of them in the basement of the police station that everyone had forgotten years ago.

Now as to running (or taking cover) from a M14 round versus a 5.56 round; I see no difference as both will go through about anything.

It is a known FACT that smaller diameter & lighter rounds penetrate steel with great efficiency. Don't beleive me? Go shoot at your truck.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
i read in iraqu when they noticed syringes on the ground. they knew that the enemy was shooting up before a fight morphine mostly. the marines went back to m 14s for awhile. saw a pic on the news. but i do love my ar

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,783 Posts
Ever wonder where all the M14's went?

Answer: It was the 1960's and these weapons were distributed all over America from local armories to police stations.

Last year some local cops "discovered" crates of them in the basement of the police station that everyone had forgotten years ago.

Now as to running (or taking cover) from a M14 round versus a 5.56 round; I see no difference as both will go through about anything.

It is a known FACT that smaller diameter & lighter rounds penetrate steel with great efficiency. Don't beleive me? Go shoot at your truck.
No I don't believe you. I tested an AR shooting SS109 bullets at mild steel about .120 inches thick and it penetrated poorly, just a big splatter on the near side and a little tiny pin hole through the center.

Now I will admit they make some of todays pickups out of pretty thin steel, but I was expecting the highly praised 5.56 penetrator round to punch nice round holes like the 7.62 black tip did.

I have decided from my completely arbitrary testing that the 5.56 penetrator is designed to punch through helmets and light duty flack vests, not steel car doors, trees, or concrete walls.

btw, try 3006 black tip out of a Garand and find out what penatration is all about.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I must admit....

I do not like the M-14, and would not carry one into battle.

The M-14 was not a failure, it was just superceded by a much superior weapon.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Gee wizz...

that video wasn't biased or anything...

Cripes the guy worked for Colt defense :rolleyes:

Each rifle serves a purpose...it's not about which one is better than the other.

It's about how well each one fills a specific need.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
I must admit....

I do not like the M-14, and would not carry one into battle.

The M-14 was not a failure, it was just superceded by a much superior weapon.
What dont you like about the M14 brother? It is a rifleman's rifle IMO.

If I was planning to go to battle, and place my selector switch to auto/burst during contact, then I would rather have an M4 over either the M16, or the M14....as I would need the lightest rifle I could get my hands on, allowing me to hump more ammo. I have never felt the need to use the fun switch during a contact, but all engagements are different.( Matters little anyways, as most go to war with what they are sent to war with, regardless of if they like it or not)

I realize that everyone has their favorites..(I do). Both rifles have advantages and disadvantages over one another, but they work well together(not to mention alongside link fed automatic weapons like the M249,M240, and MG3).

Yes, I have used both in combat. While I prefer the M14 (7.62x51mm) over the M16 (5.56mm), I dont believe that one is superior to the other. The only thing that mattered to me in the past was the knowledge that the persons to my left and right were superior to the fools shootin at us.

11B

·
1st to go last to know
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright let me just say that I have nothing against either the M-16 or M-14 (AR, M1A). I love them both and I apologize if I have struck a nerve with anyone. I just thought it was interesting how the M-16 came to be and why some people do not like the M-14 on Full Auto.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Alright let me just say that I have nothing against either the M-16 or M-14 (AR, M1A). I love them both and I apologize if I have struck a nerve with anyone. I just thought it was interesting how the M-16 came to be and why some people do not like the M-14 on Full Auto.
No need to. If anyone came off a little strong it was me, so I will apologize.:eek::

Back to topic. I have fired M14,s in full auto at work. Controlled bursts were possible for me out to 200m in the prone position using Ivans. Area targets out to 600m was a doable thing for me. (4 Ivans in a wedge)
While standing, I was just wasting ammo for the most part. I do alot better with the M16, or M4, but still consider this to be wasteful for a rifle, unless an AG for a crew served link fed weapon needs to keep up a volume of fire while the gunner is reloading/clearing a stoppage/ etc......

Just my .02

11B

1 - 20 of 30 Posts