Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a test at the BOL today, and the set up was, I think very safe--nobody around for miles and lots of dense forest as a back stop.

I fired a CCI .22 minimag from my Ruger Mark III, towards a layer of drywall (3/8 inch, I think) that was in front of another layer of drywall, that was in front of a layer of some standard rough-hewn house cladding, that was in front of a piece of wooden siding.

My goal was to see if how far that round, which is the pistol round that at this point I would most likely use for home defense, would penetrate.

It went through all four layers. I kid you not. I was astonished. I'd really though it wouldn't make it through the 3rd layer, let alone the 4th.

This means for me that I will NOT be using the CCI minimag as a home defense round. I'm switching to "light" 2 3/4 buckshot shells in my 20 gauge for home defense. NO way I want rounds going all through the neighborhood if I have to fire in self defense.

I'm curious to hear if other folks are surprised by what I found.

HippieSurvivalist

·
high on truck stop coffee
23,261 Posts
No surprise..

I've done many tests with .22s and they are waay more deadly than people realize...about 20 years ago I was squirrel hunting on private property in northern Mich,one afternoon we were having an informal target practice...setting up pop cans on an old abandoned car fender.I also was using a Ruger .22 auto and I nailed 9 of tens cans,I had about a half mag left so I shot up the door of the car.To my amazement the little MiniMags went thru both sides of the car..:eek:!!Big 3/8 inch sized holes on the other side..!There have also been tests where the lowly .22 LR will penetrate several layers of Kevlar,where the .45 and .38 will not,so don't ever underestimate the power of a .22..

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
I'm always interested in others tests but this guy does those penetration tests pretty regularly.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

We fired several rounds and saw the following Penetration:

.22 Long Rifle (Wildcats) - 4 boards and bounced off 5th board.

9MM JHP (Federal) - 8 boards, bounced off 9th.

.45ACP (Federal Hydrashocks) - 7 boards, bounced off 8th.

Amazingly, none expanded at all. The nose just filled up with pine.
Above text from this test http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot1.htm

I wouldn't rely on a .22 for home defense as it may hit your mark but stopping it is another thing altogether.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I applaud your test HS, its a good idea to test conditions. That said- Thats the same reason I was keeping rubber baton round in my shotgun when in HD mode. I have since switched to number 4 shot- after numerous comments aimed at the litigational side of things.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This means for me that I will NOT be using the CCI minimag as a home defense round. I'm switching to "light" 2 3/4 buckshot shells in my 20 gauge for home defense. NO way I want rounds going all through the neighborhood if I have to fire in self defense.

HippieSurvivalist
You might want to stick with No. 6 or No. 7 1/2 birdshot.

Jim

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,005 Posts
Here ya go, very first test. The .22 will not even penetrate frag armor at 20 feet. It looks like it might make the wearer of the vest a bit cranky though. Its a poor penetration round.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot15.htm

These are class II. Most people have class III and LE and Military have class IV.

.357 and .44 magnum were all that passed through. It did a weird thing though and closed up the hollow points and kept them from fragmenting.

Its been a long time since I lived close quarters and worried about penetration. When I did I carried a webly revolver chambered in .38 S&W short which was only good on soft tissue. I imagine our forefathers had this one thought through with the .32 and .38 shorts a long time ago and the knowledge has been lost in favor of media hype for 9mm and others.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.