Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I felt compelled to share this -- twice we almost bought this home, but both times decided against it. But we're very familiar with it. It's bank owned (a foreclosure) that's set empty for almost 4 years. The bank has done a great job of maintaining it. It's a large home, about 2300 sq feet on 21 wooded acres. $169,000 is the listing price. There's a pond that's spring fed, but it gets pretty shallow by mid-summer. It's located in northern Michigan (lower peninsula, in an area that doesn't get a ton of snow or overly harsh winters, due to its location).

It's VERY secluded, part of the reason they can't sell it. You drive down a maintained but remote dirt road for about 7 miles, and then turn down another road that isn't maintained and has nothing but woods. It's about 2 miles down that road. You'd have to have 4 wheel drive to live here, and either a snow plow or snowmobiles (or a lifted truck/Jeep) to get in and out during the winter. But it's only about 25 miles from a nice town that has a Home Depot, a couple of grocery stores, and anything else you need (about 10,000 people). We've visited the home several times, and the bank left all the doors unlocked, and not a shred of vandalism or signs of trespassing. (They have lock boxes on now, as a new real estate company has listed it on behalf of the bank.) It's nearly impossible to find if you don't know it's there. There is a huge garage that has a separate space for a gym, or a workshop, or an office. There is also a guest cabin that has two bedrooms, a nice bathroom, and a kitchenette -- really comfortable, and ideal for a friend or relative or grown kids. Nice fenced in garden space behind the house, and trails around the property.

It's not off the grid. There is electricity, a fully working well and septic, and satellite. Pretty good cell service with Verizon. It's absolute prime deer county -- the parcels around it are all very large, private hunt clubs... no public land. If you're a hunter, you'll have your fill of venison. The only reason we passed on this is because my husband is a big trout fisherman, and we want to be farther north where the fishing is better.

The bank has tried for years to sell the place, but can't due to its location. It's too remote for older seniors, and it's not good for kids who need to get to-and-from school each day, and anyone who works "in town" doesn't want to deal with the dirt roads as they commute daily. Only 10 miles away are several wonderful farms (a fairly good-size Amish community) that offer grass fed beef, pastured pork, Organic Valley dairy contracts, fresh eggs, produce, etc.

Anyway, it's a terrific place for someone who doesn't need to commute, is retired (but still sprightly), or works out of their home. Figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out there! :)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5200-W-Hubbard-Lake-Trl-Hubbard-Lake-MI-49747/2101803694_zpid/

IS27yhytox3j5s1000000000.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
so why exactly havent you bought it? it doesnt sound like it would cost millions of dollars to get some roads put in...have you talked to your township about this?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so why exactly havent you bought it? it doesnt sound like it would cost millions of dollars to get some roads put in...have you talked to your township about this?
We haven’t bought it because my husband is a very avid, very passionate trout fisherman. While there is some fishing in the area, he really wants to move to the Upper Peninsula where there are hundreds of remote streams and rivers that are virtually untouched with big, healthy populations of salmon and brook trout.

The township would never fix/maintain/improve the road that the house is on. It’s a private road roughly 2 miles long that has only two or three small hunting cabins, and then this house. They would never put money into a road for one piece of property. The county this home resides in has a total of only 10,000 citizens. They don’t have those kinds of funds, and they would have no need to put money into that. But you’re right... if someone bought this home and had extra capital, it wouldn’t take a crazy amount to grate, fix, and maintain that road. Maybe $10K.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
kinda what i was thinking wasnt that the township would maintain the road for you, but that you could maintain the road without there being a problem for you to do that without them. i guess i dont see 10k as being all that much cash for a nice house in foreclosure. id be knocking 20 off the asking price just to do that... but ive negotiated lots of preforeclosures with banks.

now the fishing for your hubby might be another issue... but i guess it depends on the house verses love of fishing... i guess my real concern would be the lack of usage for the last 4 years and how exactly those systems have held up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kinda what i was thinking wasnt that the township would maintain the road for you, but that you could maintain the road without there being a problem for you to do that without them. i guess i dont see 10k as being all that much cash for a nice house in foreclosure. id be knocking 20 off the asking price just to do that... but ive negotiated lots of preforeclosures with banks.

now the fishing for your hubby might be another issue... but i guess it depends on the house verses love of fishing... i guess my real concern would be the lack of usage for the last 4 years and how exactly those systems have held up.
Yep, exactly. They wouldn't care one bit if you maintained the road, so if you had the funds, more power to you. For my hubby, the love of fishing definitely beats out a house. And I'd have to agree with him on that. It's something we both do together often, and a pastime that requires a certain kind of location with easy access to rivers and streams. Since large swaths of land all around this house are private property, there aren't any access points for fishing. Not ideal for us.There are plenty of cool places and properties to buy in the U.P. above the bridge, so the house isn't that big a deal for us.

But you're right about it sitting open. The home originally had skylights that weren't being maintained, and had some small leaks. The bank got a contractor out to put new roofs on all the buildings. If I were someone interested in buying, I would A) Get a very reputable inspector out to give a thorough report and B) negotiate to have the bank provide a 2-3 year full-home warranty. The appliances will probably need to be replaced -- they looked in rough shape. And there's carpet in one of the rooms that looked old, worn and smelled musty. But the windows are in good condition, and the wood stove rocks. There's a nice laundry room, and a partial basement. The garage and guest cabin are pristine. I don't think they were ever used.

EDITED TO ADD: I would be doubtful if the bank would take $20K lower. On a whim, we offered $140K before they did the roofs, and they turned me down. I had a few conversations with the bank manager, and they refuse to sell it at a loss... especially now with the added renovations. You might be able to get them down $10K, but likely not much more than that.

I will say that the property is beautiful. Spectacular, really.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also adding that the location Zillow shows is not at all accurate, and trying to find it by the address on Google maps will be fruitless. Totally impossible to google the location. If anyone here is seriously interested, PM me and I'll give you the coordinates.

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
The bank has tried for years to sell the place, but can't due to its location. It's too remote for older seniors, and it's not good for kids who need to get to-and-from school each day, and anyone who works "in town" doesn't want to deal with the dirt roads as they commute daily.
Its funny, because me and all my neighbors are even more 'remote' than this place but a property like that would go for 2-3 times more here. Its funny what is considered a bad location in some places. That would be prime property here and advertised as 'close to town, short commute, good access'

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Makes me think about getting a passport....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congratulations Michigal, looks and sounds beautiful and hope it all works out well.

Its funny, because me and all my neighbors are even more 'remote' than this place but a property like that would go for 2-3 times more here. Its funny what is considered a bad location in some places. That would be prime property here and advertised as 'close to town, short commute, good access'
I know a guy that lives in Big Sky County, I'm further east but can't convince him there's any real rural places east of the Mississippi R. The funny thing is that my place is a lot more remote than his, he's still living with his parents and less then 20 miles outside Missoula. :lol

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
I'm further east but can't convince him there's any real rural places east of the Mississippi
Yeah, I'm not convinced of that either...the Mississippi seems a pretty clear line:

But I do know what you mean...when I lived in Alaska of all places it was the closest to being urban I've ever been. Only a few miles outside of town instead of the nearly 40 I am outside of Missoula now. (Where 10 acres of bare land with no road go for 100k these days because we are so close to Missoula)

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
Are you sure your not thinking of me? The details aren't quite right but its close...

I live in a house I built on land my parents gave me.....When I came back my sister moved up there a few months later. We never actually lived there at the same time even though our places where within a couple miles of each other.

I'm not 20 miles from Missoula...its about 40.

But this person you know sounds like me after the story went through a couple people and the details got muddled.

Which is odd...because anyone who knows me, would know me by this name.

Missoula is a big problem....it helps to be in another valley than it and up in the mountains instead of the valley floor...and although missoula has 100K people in the area, almost anywhere east there are a million in a hundred mile radius while here there aren't a million people in the entire state.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it might be only 25 miles to town, but it takes at least 30 minutes just to get to the main road. It’s not an easy road to drive —impossible in a car that isn’t a 4-wheel drive truck or SUV. And in the winter, you’d better have a plow. If it snows big (which doesn’t happen often, but once or twice a winter there will be a snowstorm that dumps a foot of snow), you’d have to have a snowmobile if the road isn’t plowed.

So it isn’t proximity that makes this difficult to sell, but rather the inaccessibility of the place.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts