US hit by EMP in the next 3 years?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Paranoid Bean Buyer
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking out of all the crap we USA'uns have to be concerned about;
(other than the imminent crash of our dollar and country) -
I think an EMP is gonna get us either from the sun or Iran-types sooner than later.
I know the recent "Mother of All Lessons" threats against our grid by Iran hacking don't count as an EMP but that would suck too.

I got a few solar and dynamo lights and radios and candles and lanterns in my preps but that's about it.
No horse and buggy.

What are the odds, ya think - we'll get hit in the next 5 years?

Discuss...

·
Registered
860 Posts
I am actually perplexed as to why the U.S. has not been hit by an EMP device yet.
Human death toll at the moment of the explosion would be very low and then the bad guy just sits back and waits while the U.S. population tears into each other after ten days.

·
Author, prepper, father
Done
6,918 Posts
It actually makes sense for a small opponent against a large more powerful one, especially if they can use a nuke that has the isotopic signature of someone else (like a Russian source signature). IN the confusion and terror afterward retaliation may never come.

·
Paranoid Bean Buyer
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Iran goes nuclear this month.

I'm afraid all that "Death to America - Death to Israel" chanting may not be just another snappy slogan for their rallies.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Why does anyone think that the US will be attacked by an EMP (or anything else for that matter)? Do people really think "they hate us for our freedoms?"

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Iran goes nuclear this month.

I'm afraid all that "Death to America - Death to Israel" chanting may not be just another snappy slogan for their rallies.
It is unsettling when a significant part of that country's politicians march to the death to Israel banner to maintain their political power, over here we must appear to be wusses arguing over mundane things like climate change and debt ceilings. What I've never understood is the reason for their hatred, they don't even share a border with Israel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why does anyone think that the US will be attacked by an EMP (or anything else for that matter)? Do people really think "they hate us for our freedoms?"
It not that they hate our freedoms, they hate the western way of life. They find us to be unmoral because we do not believe in Sharia Law. Make no mistake, those incharge of Iran are out to end the western wau of life. Agmendinagad (i would check the spelling but i don't have enough resect for him and really don't care if i get his name correct) is a 12er. The 12th imam is basically the anti-christ and the 12er believe it is their duty to bring him back and the only way to do that is put the world into complete chaos... Have fun.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Make no mistake, those incharge of Iran are out to end the western wau of life. Agmendinagad (i would check the spelling but i don't have enough resect for him and really don't care if i get his name correct) is a 12er. The 12th imam is basically the anti-christ and the 12er believe it is their duty to bring him back and the only way to do that is put the world into complete chaos... Have fun.
So you believe it's a religious issue? So if there is a non-muslim, then we don't need to worry about them? What about the muslims that live in the US, do you view them as a threat or is it more than just religion?

Why do you believe they would spend more money and resources to attack the US, when they can simply attack western europe more conveniently?

·
crustulum latro
7,715 Posts
The U.S. does not need to be attacked directly at this point. Any attack that shuts down western Europe at this time will irrevocably kill the EU and by proxy the U.S. economy with all the TEOTWAWKI implications that has.

The same can be said of China, Russia, India, Israel. There would be an immediate nuclear response from any of those four.

Either way, I have serious doubts it would be a direct attack.

Reactions: Robot

·
Registered
393 Posts
Can't have a large-scale EMP from a nuke on the ground. It has to explode above the ionosphere to get a scattering effect.

A solar-flare EMP is a possibility, but it would have to be pretty harsh for it to get strong enough to permanently damage the grid. EMPs happen in Canada on a pretty regular basis, from what I've read.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I am actually perplexed as to why the U.S. has not been hit by an EMP device yet.
Why? Because that's not the way the future pans out.

The NATO countries are going to be hot and heavy into time travel here in the next decade or three. RHIC and Fermilab and TRIUMF, and certainly CERN, are probably already transmitting images to the past. That requires serious infrastructure.

The grid does not go down and stay down.

·
Registered
9,207 Posts
If you read comments from around the world on news articles--YES many people hate the US and would love to see it brought to a third world status!

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I bet it has, small scale though, non-nuke.

"Only lightning damage here, nothing to see" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Why? Because that's not the way the future pans out.

The NATO countries are going to be hot and heavy into time travel here in the next decade or three. RHIC and Fermilab and TRIUMF, and certainly CERN, are probably already transmitting images to the past. That requires serious infrastructure.
I am unaware of any current physics from these labs that would remotely support this, do you have more information?

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
I doubt there will be an upper atmospheric nuke burst. That is tantamount to all out nuclear war and every country on the globe knows this. Our boomers, laying in the ocean deeps will open those hatches and entire countries will evaporate.

Many countries support the Islamic terrorists, but it is far more likely that a suitcase bomb will detonate in one of our cities, than an EMP burst over Kansas City.

The sun however is another matter. Most CMEs (even the recent one that blacked out Quebec) cant take out the entire grid BUT another one like the Carrington Event of the 1850's will surely take out the North American power network and result in an immediate throwback to 1800's lifetyle with the resuting 90% mortality rate.

P.S. Recent multiple studies released earlier this year have indicated that the normal 11 year cycle of Solar activity is going torough a "quiet" period that last occured 400 years ago. Good news for our solid-state electronic society.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts