Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,535 Posts
We use concrete block [8 X 8 X 16]

I have found that if I need to move them a year later, this is much easier.

Also if I think I need to re-mix the potting soil [add more sand or turn-in more manure, etc] it is pretty easy to do using my tractor loading bucket. Just move the blocks on one side, and my loading bucket can scoop out all of it, re-mix, etc.

Also put down a couple payers of old feed bags on grade before you setup any raised bed. This stops plants that are below grade from coming up into your bed.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
We use concrete block [8 X 8 X 16]

I have found that if I need to move them a year later, this is much easier.

Also if I think I need to re-mix the potting soil [add more sand or turn-in more manure, etc] it is pretty easy to do using my tractor loading bucket. Just move the blocks on one side, and my loading bucket can scoop out all of it, re-mix, etc.

Also put down a couple payers of old feed bags on grade before you setup any raised bed. This stops plants that are below grade from coming up into your bed.
Thanks ForestBeekeeper, Brilliant Idea. Do you use solid blocks or the open ones with the void for concrete/rebar? Do you put anything in the void to make them weigh more? How high do you build? I had considered building with out mortar but was concerned about the blocks moving/shifting with the weight of the soil in them. I was thinking about leaving the ends of the beds open (4'wide by 10-20' long) so I can lengthen them if I need to and to run the tiller up into them when I want to "ammend" later on. What do you think of that idea?

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,535 Posts
Thanks ForestBeekeeper, Brilliant Idea. Do you use solid blocks or the open ones with the void for concrete/rebar? Do you put anything in the void to make them weigh more? How high do you build? I had considered building with out mortar but was concerned about the blocks moving/shifting with the weight of the soil in them. I was thinking about leaving the ends of the beds open (4'wide by 10-20' long) so I can lengthen them if I need to and to run the tiller up into them when I want to "ammend" later on. What do you think of that idea?
I use the blocks with the holes. We have never seen any problems of them being to lightweight.

Most of our beds are one layer high, but we have gone two layers high sometimes.

Some people fill the holes with soil and plant border plants there too.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
For me to build a new raised bed from standard stretcher concrete blocks. Lowes prices them at $1.87 / block. about 18 blocks will make a 4 x8 raised bed and so is about $33.66 plus tax. I can make the same thing with 6 landscape timbers for $3.27 that is about $19.92 plus tax. The timber can be nailed together with spikes. They can be anchored with #3 rebar and will last awhile. I use the copper treated ones and lay a permeable membrane underneath.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.