Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good all purpose shotgun? By that I mean, occasional bird/waterfowl hunting and most of it's time shooting clay pigeons. NOT defense. I haven't made up my mind between a pump or an auto loader. This will be a NEW shotgun not looking to go used here. I don't want a SXS or O/U. I don't want a mossberg. I've got it down to a browning silver hunter (autoloader) a browning BPS (pump.) A Remington 1100, a remington 11-87, or a remington 870 wingmaster. I say wingmaster be cause I've heard that the workmanship on the wingmaster is far better than on the express model. Anyone else's opinions. I want this to last me a lifetime.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought my 870 wingmaster used 20 + yrs ago it has never jammed or misfired it breaks down in a few seconds design is flawless I do believe all the guns you listed to be high quality Brownings are a thing of beuty but for hands down reliability I've said my piece

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Browning makes a good shotgun for GP like your talking. But shooting ducks and clays are not much alike. Hummm let me think for a second Browning is going to be your best bet
Browning BPS Magnum Stalker Shotgun , 12 Gauge, 28", 3 1/2" Chmbr, Black Syn Stock, Blue Finish

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have busted a bunch of clays with a Browning pump and when you need it you can shoot ducks and deer with it.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts

Saiga 12, you can do about anything with it

Reactions: Dwind

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
a pump action with several barrels, a 28 or 30 inch and a short 20 inch or so barrel (and a rifled slug barrel, preferably all three). Remington 870 would be your best bang for the buck for what you have listed. I disagree with Jakester on the browning though, too expensive for an entry level shotgun. Brownings are a higher level item, cadillac vs chevy kind of thing... and I wouldnt even consider the currently manufactured Winchesters...

472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Saiga 12, you can do about anything with it
Sorry, I don't wanna scare all the "sheep" around here:cool::D:

a pump action with several barrels, a 28 or 30 inch and a short 20 inch or so barrel (and a rifled slug barrel, preferably all three). Remington 870 would be your best bang for the buck for what you have listed. I disagree with Jakester on the browning though, too expensive for an entry level shotgun. Brownings are a higher level item, cadillac vs chevy kind of thing... and I wouldnt even consider the currently manufactured Winchesters...
Yeah Winchester has seriously gone down hill.... many years ago it was the best, and now its horribly over priced and poor quality.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
+1 on the 870 Wingmaster
But only because they don't make the 1100 anymore.

·
Freedom Is Not Free
662 Posts
You need to handle and practice mounting the guns your looking at. Older Belgian Brownies fit me great, new BPS's not so much. If the gun doesn't fit you, you won't be happy. I shoot an 11-87 and a Winchester Super X2 throughout the season and love them both. As to quality the X2 is made in the same factory as the Browning Gold. It only lacks a couple frills of the Gold.
If you can shoot before you buy all the better.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
so by general purpose, you mean one purpose, and youve more or less made up your mind and arent open to peoples suggestions. so what the hell is this thread for?

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Get the BPS- its versatile. Don't bother with the 3 1/2 Inch model- 3 1/2 Inch shells aren't all that great- mostly more recoil. Plus the 3 inch models handle better. stick with either a 28 or 26 Inch model. I used to have the 30 Inch Stalker version- too heavy up front. My dad had a walnut stocked Hunter model with a 28 inch barrel- he and I both shot it well.

The downward ejection has some benefits- its harder for crud and weather to get into the action. Be careful though, my brother had a "fun" experience with a hot shell going down his sleave with a BPS Stalker.

The BPS does have a great Fully Rifled Barrel- Cantilever mount type. It will cost you some money, unless you can find a barrel made for the BPS made by Ithaca, which is roughly 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the Browning barrel.

·
ozarks hillbilly
749 Posts
any of your choices should be fine, I have an 870 wm in 3" and really see no need to have gotten the 3 1/2" chamber. Im very happy with it, the only regret I have is that I should have goten 20ga. instead of 12ga. but thats a differient story. Remember, bigger isnt always better. but with either ga. you can get a wide viraity of shells to do pretty much what ever you want. and for most of the better quality shotguns, you can get a rifled slug barrel for better slug accuracy.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
Remington 870 , cheap, easy to get parts for, reliable.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Pick up an old Remington Sportsman 12 Magnum 12 gauge pump. Shoots all the 12 gauge ammo, ready to go. Used is half the price of an 870.

I did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts