Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alrighty, I am doing some fire arm preps. I am not stocking up for the end of the world scenario where I need to fight off hoardes of zombies.

But I do think it is a good idea to stock up on some ammo prior to the election.

These are the weapons which I would like to stock up some ammo for.

I have 2 9mm pistols. Primary purpose home defense.

I have 12 gauge shotguns. Primary purpose for one is home defense, 2nd, is home defense/ back up hunting gun.

10/22; purpose hunting/plinking. Most of the limited amount of hunting I will do will be with this rifle.

.270 caliber rifle - hunting. 3 to 5 times a season.

.223 or a .308 rifle - (I will be buying soon, stocking up for it now however) Purpose will be defense /plinking primarily.

I would like to aquire enough ammo for these weapons for approx. about 5 years. Again I am not wanting to gather hoardes of ammo to last me thru a shtf scenario per say. And I dont want so much ammo that could possibly end up going bad. I would like enough to carry me thru about 5 years.

My shooting habits are hunting with the .270 3 to 5 times a season over 5 years.

Bi-annual shooting practice with the 9mm.

Hunting and plinking with the 10/22 roughly a dozen times per year. (this will see the most action)

The other weapons, (12 gauge x2, and the 5.56 or 7.76 would see some range action 2 to 3 times a year.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
First only you know how much money you have to use for this so that would be a big factor in your amounts.

That being said I would have
500 - 12ga
500 - 9mm
2500 - 22 rounds
200 - 270 rounds
500 - .223 or .308

For what you want this for... If it was for your other comment, then at a min' triple these amounts...

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
GUnner Fisherman is right. If you need to think of it this way. look for bargains. Find a place like Dallas Reloading. they do an unbelievably good job on reloads. I have both 9MM and.223. they are not cheap but less expensive than the new stuff. Look for Russian rounds as well. Check with web site deals. If you can't buy 500 rounds today buy 100 and then 100 in a week or two. You really want to get up to the 1000 round level on your 9mm and your rifle rounds except the .270. If we can help you shop prices let us know. We have some really good dealers up here. Ammo Depot in Cado Mills is great. they have Jap 6.5 and 7.7 ammo most of the time. this is the guy who was China sports main importer years ago. Good guy.

By the way on your 9mm be sure that at least 100 to 200 rounds are hollow points.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Check this thread out,
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=7674

Honestly in the last 8 months I have increased my ammo stocks by 4 times the amounts I have listed :)

Start reasonable then plan for the long haul. It might not be battle, but hunting takes alot of ammo. Most decent hunters can easily burn through boxes of shells on birds, deer, etc. Just imagine if everyday you had to hunt for keeps, and not for seasons. Pretty soon it adds up. Over the life of a decent .22 rifle you should expect to put 10-50K rounds down range. For most centerfire pistols 5-7K total life. Battle rifles around 3-10K, hunting rifles (in stout calibers) normally 2-5K. Over a lifetime it can seriously add up, but the thing to remember is a box stored is a box off the list :)

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Alrighty, I am doing some fire arm preps. I am not stocking up for the end of the world scenario where I need to fight off hoardes of zombies.

But I do think it is a good idea to stock up on some ammo prior to the election.

These are the weapons which I would like to stock up some ammo for.

I have 2 9mm pistols. Primary purpose home defense.

I have 12 gauge shotguns. Primary purpose for one is home defense, 2nd, is home defense/ back up hunting gun.

10/22; purpose hunting/plinking. Most of the limited amount of hunting I will do will be with this rifle.

.270 caliber rifle - hunting. 3 to 5 times a season.

.223 or a .308 rifle - (I will be buying soon, stocking up for it now however) Purpose will be defense /plinking primarily.

I would like to aquire enough ammo for these weapons for approx. about 5 years. Again I am not wanting to gather hoardes of ammo to last me thru a shtf scenario per say. And I dont want so much ammo that could possibly end up going bad. I would like enough to carry me thru about 5 years.

My shooting habits are hunting with the .270 3 to 5 times a season over 5 years.

Bi-annual shooting practice with the 9mm.

Hunting and plinking with the 10/22 roughly a dozen times per year. (this will see the most action)

The other weapons, (12 gauge x2, and the 5.56 or 7.76 would see some range action 2 to 3 times a year.

...Simple math... you started to list your yearly use...

X it by 5 and add on 10-20%... that's your answer.

This is why I susgested THTF levels... (500 pistol, 1,000 rifle minimums)
And then separate training/plinking ammounts.

I know peopel who shoot well over 10,000 rounds per year, and people that only shoot a couple hundred.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Pretty soon it adds up. Over the life of a decent .22 rifle you should expect to put 10-50K rounds down range. For most centerfire pistols 5-7K total life. Battle rifles around 3-10K, hunting rifles (in stout calibers) normally 2-5K. Over a lifetime it can seriously add up, but the thing to remember is a box stored is a box off the list :)

...Please tell me your talking rounds put downrange and not saying that that's all the gun is good for??? (Barrel life etc)

I have a WASR10 with over 17,000 rounds through it.
(Others with lesser numbers still over your figures)
And my Daily carry Glock 19 has more than your 7,000 round figure through it (As do several of my 1911's)

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Lifetime of the person. CoolI would also like to see the wasr with 17000 rounds through it. Must be one straight shooting iron?? Personally I call armchair on you dude.
Sure:

Go on over to www.minionreport.com

And look up my name (Same user name)

And:

High Risk Civilian Contractor Shooting Package
High Rish Civilian Contractor Driving Package
High Risk Civilian Contractor Medical Package

Tactical Response Fighting Pistol
Tactical Response Fighting Rifle
Tactical Response Advanced Fighting Pistol
Tactical Response Advanced Fighting Rifle

And While your at it look up the Barrett classes and whatever else you want...

It's the WASR with the Ultimak and EoTech in the pix...

FYI: Tactical Response has WASR rental guns with approx 3x my roundcount through them....

ETA: Random post incase there are dificulities of looking any of that up:
http://www.minionreport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5663&highlight=Contractor+shooting+package

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
I aint looking up squat, you want it you provide the links to the information. Some crap website with 900 members and 200,000 posts is junk. Period. I am curious to see the results, let me know :) Yep statement still stands. In 1 of 900 you must be special, one of a million, makes for common place......

Threads: 23,014, Posts: 218,366, Members: 891, Active Members: 337
Welcome to our newest member

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Lifetime of the person. I would also like to see the wasr with 17000 rounds through it. Must be one straight shooting iron?? Personally I call armchair on you dude.
You dont know him.
Trying to argue with Nomad about guns is like … how can I explain this to a person that doesn’t know him? :confused:

It’s like sticking your **** in a meat grinder. You don’t know the thing, you see a hole and think it may be fun, but all you’ll ever achieve is getting your **** torn to pieces.

You don’t know who he is, but besides his military background, he has shot in pretty much every shooting school worth mentioning, several times.

For every gun you can thing of he has 5 ( and 5 more stashed away that he already forgot about) , and he shot a few thousand rounds through it. We’ll maybe not the 50 BMG, ammo is too expensive.
My personal rule of thumb is; I don’t argue with Nomad about guns. I just ask him and say thanks dude for the advice.

FerFAL

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I aint looking up squat, you want it you provide the links to the information. Some crap website with 900 members and 200,000 posts is junk. Period. I am curious to see the results, let me know :) Yep statement still stands. In 1 of 900 you must be special, one of a million, makes for common place......
Look at the edit... I posted one link as you posted this snide commnet...
(10:58 Vs 10:59)

I gave you a chance to verify...

Do what you want with it.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
You dont know him.
Trying to argue with Nomad about guns is like … how can I explain this to a person that doesn’t know him? :confused:

It’s like sticking your **** in a meat grinder. You don’t know the thing, you see a hole and think it may be fun, but all you’ll ever achieve is getting your **** torn to pieces.

You don’t know who he is, but besides his military background, he has shot in pretty much every shooting school worth mentioning, several times.

For every gun you can thing of he has 5 ( and 5 more stashed away that he already forgot about) , and he shot a few thousand rounds through it. We’ll maybe not the 50 BMG, ammo is too expensive.
My personal rule of thumb is; I don’t argue with Nomad about guns. I just ask him and say thanks dude for the advice.

FerFAL

Ferfal Exagerates.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts