Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot at the range several times a year, but never actually got into hunting much, besides rabbit and squirrel from time to time. The small game is easy and my .22 works fine, but what type of ammo do I need for larger game ? Hollow point, soft point ? HP is cheaper, but does it work as well ?

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
The primary advantage of a hollow point bullet is that it has increased stopping power. When a hollow point bullet hits a target and expands, it causes significantly more damage than a conventional bullet, thereby bringing the target to a halt more quickly. In addition, overpenetration, a common problem with some bullets, is avoided, because the bullet slows radically when it expands.

I've used CCI Stingers and they cause a big entrance wound but the bullet fragments into a few pieces insted of staying solid, HP's will give you a nice mushroom shape which increases your bullets diameter. The Winchester HP's seem to work well on small animals. If your talking about centrbore rds RD nose SP work well on large game, HP are more explosive and don't penetrate deep.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I shoot at the range several times a year, but never actually got into hunting much, besides rabbit and squirrel from time to time. The small game is easy and my .22 works fine, but what type of ammo do I need for larger game ? Hollow point, soft point ? HP is cheaper, but does it work as well ?

How much larger? Coyote, Deer, Bear etc. a .22 rimfire is good for Squirrels , Rabbits, ***** etc. 22 rimfire is pretty much Illegal in all 50 states for Deer sized game and above. you can kill with it but you will more than likely fatally wound the animal and not recover it.

For Varmints such as Coyotes and Bobcats etc., .22 Hornet, 22-250, 223 and 243 Winchester see alot of use. Hollowpoints offer a very fast, violent expansion and the lack of a deformable nose leads to better accuracy over long distances. You will also find the hollowpoint used in target ammo for this reason.

Ungulate calibers usually start at .243 Win and go up in size depending on the type of animal/ preference of the hunter.
For White Tail, Mule, Elk, Moose etc., it is best to use a soft point bullet design. This bullet type will give slow controlled expansion and will penetrate to the animals vitals where a hollowpoint will not. For even larger dangerous game a solid bullet design is used to ensure adequate penetration.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
In 308 I prefer projectiles in the 150-168gr range. I use a lot of Swift Sirocco (sp?), A-Max, Nosler Ballistic Tip and Partition. The first three are normally exellent accuracy wise although on tougher game such as Hogs or Elk I would lean on the Nosler Partition or possibly the Swift bullets. Both of these latter two, are controlled expansion premium bullets.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
SteveMO,
That depends, there are many makes of bullets, and the quest for the perfect bullet is an ongoing enterprise.

Many of the general production bullets produced will cover a wide range of applications, yet not be particularly suited to any one particular task. Remington, Winchester and federal all produce a bullet or cartridge that fits into this catagory.

While I have a preference for the Remington Corloks, in this regard, I doubt they are any better than their Winchester or Federal counter parts.

A JSP (jacketed soft point) is what I use in a centerfire rifle for large game deer elk etc.
A JFP (jacketed flat point) is what I use in lever action rifles, with tubular magazines for deer.
A JHP (jacketed hollow point) is what I use in a centerfire rifle for varmits.

A stock bullet such as the corlok will cover most of the hunting needs one is likely to encounter. Since it is designed to function over a wide range of applications.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. It would be deer hunting for the most part, but I wouldn't mind hunting the feral hogs that seem to be moving northward into Missouri as well. Would a 7.62x39 soft point be large enough for deer and possibly feral hogs ?

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
A 7.62x39 soft point is enough gun for deer sized game. The ballistics are almost the same as a 30-30, which has probably killed more deer than any other single caliber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts