Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ammo shortage really has me thinking about ammo swapping. I know a lot of people will be fully against it but within the groups of people I know it could be beneficial.

I am sure we all have a box or two of an odd round from guns we no longer own. Maybe someone gifted you a box of miscellaneous rounds.

I bought a mosin once and the person threw in 5 boxes of different 20 gauge ammo. Luckily I have a use for that ammo.

I have given away to friends the odd 25 cal and 32 cal ammo I acquired. They had a use for it and I did not.

It has made me think about the calibers I could trade rounds for. I don’t own a 45 but I see it on the shelves still. Don’t own a 10mm but it’s on some shelves as well.

Just an idea I have been pondering lately. Some people I know that are just getting into shooting have offered me high dollar for some 9mm lately. Most boxes are going $26 for a 50 round box. It does make me contemplate equal trade rates though 🤔

anyways what are your thoughts on swapping calibers with people in your circles? Would you swap with a neighbor? What about a coworker? Distance family?

·
Grumpy
97 Posts
Think it’s a good idea. Did it just yesterday. Swapped some .22 LR for some hard to find .327 Federal Magnum ammo. I have other ammo that I no longer need, so why not swap for something I do. Best wishes

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I am a member of a statewide forum here in PA and we have many classified ads for swaps of ammo/ammo, gun/gun, gun/ammo & ammo/gun. I did a swap of 9mm FMJ for 12 ga. 00 buckshot with a local guy a few months back and a Shield9/5.56 Nato swap since then. If you've got a metric **** ton of a certain ammo and feel moved to trade go right ahead, never leave yourself short though.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So my thinking wasn’t too far off. Sometimes I really need people’s input that understand the situation. Appreciate the info!
22lr would probably be a good go to for other needed calibers for me. I have tried to buy 22lr whenever I am out and about. I remember people selling for $75 at flea markets and gun shows a few years back. Learned then it was worth gold lol

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
If ammo is a new currency, I guess you can use it to buy stuff.

I gave some 9mm JHP to a new gun owner because she’s the daughter of a family friend, but that’s all I have any plans to turn loose of.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I would actually love to do that. I have piles of ammo that I don’t have any guns chambered in. (.270, .243, .45, .357, 30-06, 6.5 swedish, and a bunch of other oddballs) I think the hard part is finding someone willing to part with what I want! (9mm, .380, .308, 5.56/.223) lol. I guess it’s always a good excuse to buy more guns though.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would actually love to do that. I have piles of ammo that I don’t have any guns chambered in. (.270, .243, .45, .357, 30-06, 6.5 swedish, and a bunch of other oddballs) I think the hard part is finding someone willing to part with what I want! (9mm, .380, .308, 5.56/.223) lol. I guess it’s always a good excuse to buy more guns though.
Agreed! If you hold the amp long enough you talk yourself into another purchase lol

·
Midwest Born
1,060 Posts
Agreed! If you hold the amp long enough you talk yourself into another purchase lol
third vote for the above. I would swap if its something I no longer need. Heck I have ammo that I have never had a gun for, I would trade it for something I needed. But in actuality, I really don't need any ammo for the calibers I shoot, I took care of that after the last shortage. I will round off my supply once this is all over, but just to replace the stuff that has been shot this summer.

I did sent some 9mm to my sister. They finally bought a gun and could only find 50rnds of self defense stuff. I sold all my 9s years ago, but kept the ammo. I purchased 1 for my son last Christmas, now that he has shot through almost everything he had it is good to know i can go to the ammo horde and supply him with a few boxes if needed. So I guess my decision would be yes to the uncommon stuff I have, the 7mm Weatherby magnum, .32 long etc. I would trade, but likely hold my 9mm, .32, .25, 30-06, 30-30 and other calibers that I can possible envision having one day.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Soon we will be able to use ammo as currency and barter for foods etc at this rate, XM855 ammo has gotten crazy

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats OP. You basically spent 5 paragraphs describing barter.
Agreed. It was more to get input on what people thought about the items (ammo) to barter. More of an exchange of ideas concerning the actual trades. Thanks!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I’ll say this: I’ve got all I need if things were to go sideways, but when things eventually get back to normal I’m gonna buy mountains of 9 and 556 to sell next time. Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts