Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'd rather be Jeeping...
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, sorry if this has been covered before. I searched, but didn't find anything. How long can you safely store ammo?

~John

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm new here, sorry if this has been covered before. I searched, but didn't find anything. How long can you safely store ammo?

~John
John,

Ammo can be stored for very long periods of time if done properly. I have ammo that is older than me and I am 50. Keep it in a nice cool and dry location with as little humidity as possible. If you handle it before putting it away , wipe it down with a soft cloth to remove body oils that will lead to tarnishing of the brass cases. Plastic shot gun shells will last just as long as
Rifle /Pistol ammo.

If the cartridge case, assuming its brass starts looking severely tarnished( green)or you see rust as in the case of steel cased ammo, then discard it. As I have said, I have WWII era ammo that still shoots fine. I have some reloads made in 1963 for 30-40 Krag that are still good and have recently been used to take deer.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
This thread again... There are a couple of threads here that I have replied to thoroughly on this subject although it might take a while searching it out.

But anyways...as said previously, cool and dry is the magic formula here and is the one the military subscribes to as well. Some of the newest ammo shot in Gulf Wars Part I was 1972! It all worked as advertised, just like it was designed!!! Air tight containers, with a bag of desicant, stored in a cool dry location with minimal swings in temp are just what the doctor ordered. Store it this way and I promise commercial ammo will easily last 20-30 years with very minimal reliabiliy issues.

·
96 Posts
This thread again... There are a couple of threads here that I have replied to thoroughly on this subject although it might take a while searching it out.

But anyways...as said previously, cool and dry is the magic formula here and is the one the military subscribes to as well. Some of the newest ammo shot in Gulf Wars Part I was 1972! It all worked as advertised, just like it was designed!!! Air tight containers, with a bag of desicant, stored in a cool dry location with minimal swings in temp are just what the doctor ordered. Store it this way and I promise commercial ammo will easily last 20-30 years with very minimal reliabiliy issues.
Also go to the army surplus store and get some ammo cans with good seals.

+1 on tired of this topic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts