Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the itch to buy more ammo. Before buying more, I thought I'd look at what I had around already.

Most of my ammo is stored in 50 cal cans. They have been stored in a nice dry area for 3 years and in a non-climate controlled basement for a year.

hunting grade ammo: All looked as good as it did the day I bought it. Even the stuff not stored in the 50 cal cans.

Steel Cased ammo: The polymer coated stuff had a slight touch of rust in a few, but they have been looking good. I do not buy this ammo anymore. The laqcuer coated stuff like golden tiger stores much better. On top of that, Golden Tiger put sealant on their primers.

rimfire ammo: My stuff looked good. This is one type of ammo you should take good care of. The lead gets that white oxidation on it. No big loos in performance, but undesireable.

Shotgun ammo: This stuff is bulky, so the temptation is not to put it in sealed cans. The ammo is basically steel cased, atleast the lower end offerings are. These can rust a bit. However, I have been sealing them inside thick garbage bags, like those lawn and leaf types. Desicant expensive, yes it is. Still worth it, maybe. A handful or two of freshly bought rice is the poor mans desicant.

Looking back: I am very glad I bought 50 cal cans for my ammo. I rushed right in to buying lots of ammo right of the bat. I should of took my time. Ammo is much cheaper to buy online. It also helps focus on your spending, you don't find distrctions at the gun shop. I am very glad I mixed up reloadable brass cased stuff with my steel cased 7.62x39 ammo. It sotres very well compred to the steel cased stuff. I also have a good supply of cases incase import ammo can't be purchased.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
You said stored, do you have any of this ammo cached? Its good to diversify your ammo, but its also good to have your ammo diversely spread out in the event you cannot get to your primary.

So in short what your saying is that regardless the stuff in ammo cans was just as good as the day you bought it? And the rest showed some form of deterioration/corrosion?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep.
All my ammo is in either 30cal or 50cal ammo cans too.
I stencil the outsides so I know instantly what's in each can.
Here is a sample.....

Hey,

Thanks for the pic! Is that can marked 9mm a 30cal can? What is the size of your medical marked can?

·
Registered
311 Posts
top two appear to be 30cals while the bottom three appear to be 50cals.
Thanks! I thought as much, just wanted to confirm, not really interested in assuming much on this forum. ;)

How much 9mm ammo could you fit in that 30cal can? How much .22lr? Just thinking about which type to store and use. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Thanks! I thought as much, just wanted to confirm, not really interested in assuming much on this forum. ;)

How much 9mm ammo could you fit in that 30cal can? How much .22lr? Just thinking about which type to store and use. Thanks in advance.
I can get about 3500 rounds of .22lr in a .30 caliber can. That's buying it in the "brick" boxes of like 500-525 per box. Fits nice and snug, close 'er up and forget about it until necessary.

And I get around 1,000 rounds of 9mm in the same type of can. Normally I put my 9mm in plastic ammo boxes making it easier to use at the range; I might be able to increase storage per can if I left it in the cardboard boxes it comes in but I guess I'm a bit more finicky when it comes to my 9mm than my .22lr.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have several ammo cans, but have recently started vacuum packing my ammo then storing those items in a container. I keep the ammo in the box and normally put 6 boxes of 20 rounds of 7.62x39 together. This gives me enough ammo to complete four 30 round mags when I open the package.

·
смерть н
3,823 Posts
I got the itch to buy more ammo. Before buying more, I thought I'd look at what I had around already.

Most of my ammo is stored in 50 cal cans. They have been stored in a nice dry area for 3 years and in a non-climate controlled basement for a year.

hunting grade ammo: All looked as good as it did the day I bought it. Even the stuff not stored in the 50 cal cans.

Steel Cased ammo: The polymer coated stuff had a slight touch of rust in a few, but they have been looking good. I do not buy this ammo anymore. The laqcuer coated stuff like golden tiger stores much better. On top of that, Golden Tiger put sealant on their primers.

rimfire ammo: My stuff looked good. This is one type of ammo you should take good care of. The lead gets that white oxidation on it. No big loos in performance, but undesireable.

Shotgun ammo: This stuff is bulky, so the temptation is not to put it in sealed cans. The ammo is basically steel cased, atleast the lower end offerings are. These can rust a bit. However, I have been sealing them inside thick garbage bags, like those lawn and leaf types. Desicant expensive, yes it is. Still worth it, maybe. A handful or two of freshly bought rice is the poor mans desicant.

Looking back: I am very glad I bought 50 cal cans for my ammo. I rushed right in to buying lots of ammo right of the bat. I should of took my time. Ammo is much cheaper to buy online. It also helps focus on your spending, you don't find distrctions at the gun shop. I am very glad I mixed up reloadable brass cased stuff with my steel cased 7.62x39 ammo. It sotres very well compred to the steel cased stuff. I also have a good supply of cases incase import ammo can't be purchased.
The only thing that could have made this better brother is some pictures. Good job otherwise.

HH54r

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have several ammo cans, but have recently started vacuum packing my ammo then storing those items in a container. I keep the ammo in the box and normally put 6 boxes of 20 rounds of 7.62x39 together. This gives me enough ammo to complete four 30 round mags when I open the package.
Vacuum packing ammo is something most folks highly advise against. Moisture protection is what is critical, that can be done with dessicants and storing in moisture proof containers like ammo cans and sealed PVC pipe if under ground. I have posted in other threads how some ammunition, after being vacuum sealed, is prone to develop unseated primers due to the positive pressure inside the cartridges. Do what you like but nobody I know vac seals anymore, and personally I would go back and open that stuff up. I'm not saying you'll see rounds pooping primers and trickling powder but they can be dangerous and out of spec. Just my $.02, well maybe a little more than that.

-Irish

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I trade ammo around with a few local shops. I'll pick up a box of thirty year old rounds thats been shoe boxed quite often and it shoots just fine. All the old ammo laying in the tool shed coffee cans for the last sixty years went boom as well. You'd have the same test results in thirty years if you stock all of it in your sock drawer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
TO sailinghudson25

[/QUOTE]Looking back: I am very glad I bought 50 cal cans for my ammo. I rushed right in to buying lots of ammo right of the bat. I should of took my time. Ammo is much cheaper to buy online. It also helps focus on your spending, you don't find distrctions at the gun shop. I am very glad I mixed up reloadable brass cased stuff with my steel cased 7.62x39 ammo. It sotres very well compred to the steel cased stuff. I also have a good supply of cases incase import ammo can't be purchased.[/QUOTE]

I am curious, When you buy ammo online, Are you concerned that now there is an online record of your purchase along with all of your identifying information?

·
Registered
817 Posts
"I am curious, When you buy ammo online, Are you concerned that now there is an online record of your purchase along with all of your identifying information?" ~robangela~

I think most people are on so many lists already and are so fed up either way that they just don't care and would rather save money and get more for it.

Paranoia is becoming subsided to just not giving a damn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts