Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Yes there have been many posts here for awhile now on ammo shortages and high prices. I had hoped this would come to an end but looks like not anytime soon. Even cops are feeling it. What happened to the billions of rounds some agencies bought?
Ammo imports up over 200% over last couple years.

·
Banned
Prepped enough is NEVER good enough!
5,749 Posts

Yes there have been many posts here for awhile now on ammo shortages and high prices. I had hoped this would come to an end but looks like not anytime soon. Even cops are feeling it. What happened to the billions of rounds some agencies bought?
Ammo imports up over 200% over last couple years.
'Glad I've paid attention to this when others in the past thought it was foolish, wastes of time/money:rolleyes:. Some of those same people in the past have inquired about where to get it and even hintedo_O about me parting with some of mine for which I forcefully refused. (y)

·
Desperta Ferro!
1,499 Posts
I'm finding quality .22 LR at decent prices at WM, as well as 12 GA. SG shells there and elsewhere.

I've been staying out of the other sporting goods and gun stores, but get multiple emails daily from PSA. They have had .223 / 5.56, 9mm, 40 cal and 45 cal ammo listed recently.

Not great prices at PSA, but availability is there.
The WM prices on .22 LR was decent last weekend, around .05 CPR. The SG shells were around .30 CPS.

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
I’m starting to think there’s not a shortage.

What there is, is online dealers buying it up in bulk, as small brick and mortars get shafted with any leftovers because the middlemen prefer to do the bulk sales. Added levels of middlemen is a cost as well. Too many asshats acting like brokers, and too many other asshats paying their extortion.

Even many of the larger brick and mortar guys get creamed, as they are forced to order by store, rather than having the parent company order by the crap ton. I think maybe Academy does it the other way around, which may explain how they always seem to have something coming in even if not regularly enough.

Then the online guys charge what they want. Thanks to online database searching, they can change prices in seconds to meet each other....notice, they COULD compete and undercut, but they don’t, they match each other.

That’s why there’s availability, but none on shelves.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know, i let a relative have 100 rounds of 9mm. Rather he can fill his mags a few times than have it sitting on my shelf. Though i may regret it if this keeps going.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Perception is reality for some people.

Is there an actual shortage? Maybe but not as anywhere near as bad as people believe.

In years past, everyone complained about a certain online retailer. Now, all of them charge way too much and have for the past year.

I think every soon people who have bought ammo in the past year will come to regret it. Prices are falling and shelves around me are starting to be filled. The hype is over for now unless something else happens. If nothing happens then I think we MAY see rebates for either black friday or the first of 2022 on ammo.

For those of you who were not ready for this ammo shortage, I hope you learned a valuable lesson.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I think hording is hard to define. If you buy a couple of boxes every trip to the store, you can build up quite a supply in a years time. Buying several thousands of rounds quickly in panic prices and circumstances is prudent if you don't have any. I cannot forsee a near future where ammunition supplies will stabilize. Buy when you can, be mindful of the other guy. They may be shooting at the same thing you have to shoot at, them getting first crack at it might whittle em down some. Or you may need to be shooting at the other guy.... buy now we are getting into philosophy.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I have to add, perhaps there is some selective redistribution of ammunition supplies based upon geographical location. I only posit the theory that red areas may be more receptive and welcoming to ammo than certain blue places. In a kinetic environment it would be interesting to speculate as to the availability to various groups. Just sayin...

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
The most expensive and hardest item to find is primers still. There are more of them, still limited and expensive. What ammoI am short of I do have the components to load
Yea. I figured the reloaders would be cringing/suffering, wanting near non existent loading supplies.... eventually.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,675 Posts
Sorry.....sorry....SORRY.....But, I have "Zero" empathy (The exception being if you have been in a comma for the last 28 years) for anyone. And the reality is that if this is ever mitigated, the silly "FOOLS" will go directly back to purchasing one box of ammo (maybe two boxes) even if the shelves are laden with ammo and it is on super sale, the silly wabbits will purchase only one or two boxes.
It is called "Normalcy Bias"........the brain can not get past believing what ever was is what will return, and always be.

Skip the excuses, your a fool if you don't have five years of ammo for each and every firearms you own "OR EXPECT" to purchase.

Here is a "Wake-up" if we go to WAR.........there could be zero ammo for five or ten years. Also the raw materials (Copper-Brass-Lead-etc) have nearly doubled in manufactures cost.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
For those of you who were not ready for this ammo shortage, I hope you learned a valuable lesson.
Don't count on it. I've been through this several times now and most never learn.

I just came back from WM because I heard they were getting 22 ammo. And they did have a couple of boxes with a limit of one per person. I have plenty on hand already so didn't buy any. I left it for others. One box was Winchester Super X 100 count and it was just over $10. The lady behind the counter told me she had a run in earlier with one customer who wanted all 3 boxes of Remington bulk Golden Bullets and couldn't understand why he couldn't have all three in stock. And its guy's like that that keep everyone else from being able to get ammo.

As I was leaving another person walked up and asked about 9mm ammo. She told him WM no longer sold handgun ammo. He was mad about that and she told him thats been the rule for over a year. That gives you an idea how little stock he had on hand and how behind he is on the situation. I waited for him and told him Academy has been getting 9mm ammo in and he got sort of loud with me and asked "WHEN? I have been there several times and cant find any ammo"! I felt bad for him but its his own fault.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The shortage is definitely relaxing. One of the stores I frequent is now regularly getting in cases of ammo and another lifted the purchase limit. I can get 1k round cases of 124gr PMC 9mm for $350 and 1k round cases of PMC 5.56mm for $540. Reloading powder is starting to come back. Prices will likely never return to the pre-pandemic rates, but ammo is once again available and affordable.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Solidus, I really like PMC ammo.
It's very clean, well pacakaged individually and cycles well in any weapon I try it in.
Never a FTF / FTE either.

Also, their sealed 'battle packs' are excellent, and perfect for a stash tube, although I've never done that yet.
Same. Most of what I shoot in the AR is PMC M855 and it has always been great ammo in every sense.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Sorry.....sorry....SORRY.....But, I have "Zero" empathy (The exception being if you have been in a comma for the last 28 years) for anyone. And the reality is that if this is ever mitigated, the silly "FOOLS" will go directly back to purchasing one box of ammo (maybe two boxes) even if the shelves are laden with ammo and it is on super sale, the silly wabbits will purchase only one or two boxes.
It is called "Normalcy Bias"........the brain can not get past believing what ever was is what will return, and always be.

Skip the excuses, your a fool if you don't have five years of ammo for each and every firearms you own "OR EXPECT" to purchase.

Here is a "Wake-up" if we go to WAR.........there could be zero ammo for five or ten years. Also the raw materials (Copper-Brass-Lead-etc) have nearly doubled in manufactures cost.
I have an awful lot of guns and buy 5 yrs worth of ammo for a gun I have not fired in10 years, well that is only a box of ammo. I do stock quanties in 9x19 and 7.62x39 and certain other calibers. In many of the others that are hardly used, I normally reload for them. A box 22-250 cost a lot more than a box of 5.56 and I would rather reload it. It is not what you call a war caliber.
Huge quantities of ammo comes with storage requirements and it is an investment. Might some of the money also be just as well spent on survival medicines etc. Just how many rounds do you think one will spend fighting. If you need to fire a 1,000 rounds or more, that is a lot of fighting and suggests low chances of survival. If you have a full auto then one will require more ammo, but few of us do.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have an awful lot of guns and buy 5 yrs worth of ammo for a gun I have not fired in10 years, well that is only a box of ammo. I do stock quanties in 9x19 and 7.62x39 and certain other calibers. In many of the others that are hardly used, I normally reload for them. A box 22-250 cost a lot more than a box of 5.56 and I would rather reload it. It is not what you call a war caliber.
Huge quantities of ammo comes with storage requirements and it is an investment. Might some of the money also be just as well spent on survival medicines etc. Just how many rounds do you think one will spend fighting. If you need to fire a 1,000 rounds or more, that is a lot of fighting and suggests low chances of survival. If you have a full auto then one will require more ammo, but few of us do.
I have a lot of guns too and for some I do have a 5 year or greater supply. Not because I have tons of ammo but because I don't do nearly as much shooting as I used to do. I reload most of the ammo I shoot and have a good supply of components on hand including the elusive primers. Plus a lot of 22 ammo. So I'm good for the time being.

And forget the gun battles. Y'all have all you want. Even the highly trained cops have a 50% chance of being shot in a gun fight. My guns are for protection and hunting. And the best way to avoid needing to use a gun for protection is keep your mouth shut and stay out of bad areas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
From what i've been seeing, the shortage is definitely easing. Academy near me have had almost a full aisle of ammo for a couple of weeks now at almost pre-pandemic prices. Another local store has had good stocks for longer than that. Hopefully the trend continues.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts