Votes: 54 50.5%
  • Put a little money to it all

Votes: 40 37.4%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ammo is hitting pre-sandy hook prices, pmags are going for less than $9 on sale, but I also need to finish up the new chicken yard.

Primary arms has their gen 2 black pmags on labor day sale for $7.99. I am going to kick myself later if I pass that price up.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Magpul_PMAG_30_AR_M4_Gen_M2_MOE_Black_p/mag571-blk.htm

Walmart has more 223 in stock than I have seen in years. The shelves are full of American Eagle and Federal.

For the past 2 months my wife and I have been working on the new chicken yard. We hope to get the walls up for the new chicken house next weekend.

We have 21 brand new chicks and 2 roosters that are two months old we traded for. In the next month or so those will need to go into a larger cage. Right now we are keeping them in a 3 X 8 wire box.

If another sandy hook happens, or if someone like Hillary is in serious running for the white house n 2016, panic buying will kick off full speed, yet again.

I am worried that we may be looking at the lowest prices we will seen in the next 5 or 6 years.

Every pmag or box of ammo I buy means less money for the new chicken house.

·
Time waits for no one
430 Posts
to save costs on the chicken house can you obtain old untreated pallets? I built a chicken run using recycled wood from them and saved a bunch on money. It took more time to take them apart then build, but saved over $120 on materials for the chicken house. Something you might want to look into.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Personally, I would finish the chicken coop. Coyotes are devastating to a chicken flock. Believe me,I know. I had 170+ hens and was selling eggs to a health food store at $3.00 a dozen. I was making $90 bucks a week, then getting a good deal on supplies. Stray dogs,*****,and hawks are another threat to the flock. You'll probably never know if you have a bobcat or fox problem until you're down to your last hens.
I myself am not a big gun nut. I dont own a high capacity simi-auto yet. Just a few .22s,deer rifles,and pump shotguns.
But, if you feel a threat from the day we're living in, its comforting to have ammo and Mags ready to go.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Chicken yard... because I'm sure you already have a bunch of the above two.

Buying at a discount is still spending money :D:

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
You already have guns and ammo, maybe not enough to your liking but more than some.

The chicken coop is a means of surviving in another manner.
Right now, I'd be putting money and effort into it. Mags and ammo will generally always be available, albeit at horrific prices some times.

Once the coop is done, put your effort back into the guns/ammo/mags.

·
Red White and Blue
6,368 Posts
Chicken birds.
and keep the guns/ammo away from them.

·
Anti-Social
416 Posts
One thing I've learned. No matter how much ammo I have I feel it is never enough. It is a trap, and addiction. I quit buying ammo awhile back... and bought bullets, primers, and powder. Now every time I get that overwhelming anxiety about not having enough, I clean, resize, prime and reload brass...helps every time.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
Kev, from what I've read over the years, I'm thinking you're pretty decently set up in the firearm department. If you somehow need more guns,mags and ammo that you currently have...then a little more probably ain't gonna be enough to make a difference.
Given all that, I guess I'd go for the food-producing option.
But, on the other hand, if guns/ammo/mags go berserk next week, the supplies needed for building chicken coops shouldn't be affected at all, and you'll be glad you bought the mags and ammo while they are cheap and plentiful .;)

·
Care Package Princess
322 Posts
I consider my animals health, happiness, and well being paramount and have no doubt you have an okay amount of pew pew. So give them an awesome, big home and in return they'll give you yummy eggs and delicious meat.

·
Vampire Slayer
6,946 Posts
Finish the chicken house. You know you need to do that because you already have the chickens. Sometimes you can't afford a really good deal because it comes along at the wrong time.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Kev, from what I've read over the years, I'm thinking you're pretty decently set up in the firearm department. If you somehow need more guns,mags and ammo that you currently have...then a little more probably ain't gonna be enough to make a difference.
Given all that, I guess I'd go for the food-producing option.
But, on the other hand, if guns/ammo/mags go berserk next week, the supplies needed for building chicken coops shouldn't be affected at all, and you'll be glad you bought the mags and ammo while they are cheap and plentiful .;)
Perfectly answered..like a politician :)

·
Humble Coffee Maker
2,222 Posts
Chickens bro....ammo and mags should be ok by the time you get that done. They are just gonna keep getting bigger. I had 10 hens and am now down to 3 because I didnt prepare well enough. Learn from MY mistake.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
As long as you have rifle and about 500 rounds now,take care of the chickens. Even if SHTF big time (which is not likely), how much ammo can you shoot during a Mad Max firefight before you are taken out? And to top it off it is not very likely to collapse that fast but slowly. You most likely have time.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts