Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much ammo is too much ammo? Beside the obvious issue of how much can you bug out with, there has to be some train of thought for what is not enough and what is too much.

I do not want to over spend on ammo and then be short changed on food prep. Planning is everything and I am hoping to get some advice from the experienced with the group.
Many thanks!

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
My theory on ammo is if you are in a situation where you need it, you need a lot of it.
No such thing as too much ammo, you can't carry it all but you can cache some of it if you plan to bug out, but if you are bugging in it doesn't matter.

50 cal ammo cans are your friend.

5000 for the M4
5000 for the 10/22
1000-1500 for .45 ACP
1000-1500 for 9mm
500 #7 steel shot 12 ga
250 00 buckshot 12 ga

Then for training I will run anywhere from 5-7K total rounds depending on what classes I take, plus I shoot all the time.

I am a little low on ammo right now, but will be restocking over the summer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
the only limits on how much ammo you should buy is money and storage. first plan shelves for food storage , because ammo is compact ( you can stack few thousands rounds in ammo cans and they take very little place) start with 2000 rounds by caliber ( or at least 5000 rounds in total) . buy as much food as you can store , and then continue to constantly adding ammo and other equipement

·
Registered
375 Posts
Gotta add my 2 cents worth. I think it depends on the use of the firearm for which you are prepping. I personally keep less ammo for my pistols than I do my "battle rifles." I keep the most for my .22s. (5-10k) I keep a lot of shotgun ammo (2k each) as I see the .22 and shotgun as useful for food gathering. My Ak's come next.(about 1500 rnds each) Sidearms are meant to be defensive arms. If it is hostile in whatever scenario, you should carry a long gun and have ammo for it. I keep a few hundred rounds for them. Just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point! A sustained firefight can burn through a lot of ammo. If I am sheltering in place then the more the better. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
i look at it differently there is no certain number everyones different with different needs. it all depends on your age,how much do you shoot per year now and how long/old will you be when you stop shooting.

here is an example:

lets say your 35 yrs old, you hunt, and once a year you go and target practice to make sure your weapon is ready so you shoot 2 boxes (40 rounds) of ammo per year for each weapon you have.and lets say you dont believe you will be hunting past 75 years old. so IF NOTHING ever goes wrong you will shoot 2 boxes of ammo per year for 30 years. 2x30= 60 boxes x 20= 1200 rounds i would add 200 more rounds just in case you get a new scope or such and have problems zeroing it a few times. some one with these shooting habbits should stock up a minimum of around 70 boxes or 1400 rounds plus what you plan to have in your BoB for each weapon you have :thumb:

this way if nothing ever happens you are set for life with about all the ammo YOU will ever need without going to the extreme :thumb:

if you do want to stock up heavy i suggest stocking heavy in .22lr it can always be used for hunting rabbits and such :thumb: also if you have different calibers for hunting, plan on useing the larger calbers 1st because as you get older you WILL find it harder to shoot those harder recoil weapons and you may need to reduce your recoil.... think about do you really think you will shoot that bolt action 308 or 30-06 as easily at 70 as you was at 30 you might want to figure in, hunting with a 7.62x39 or 30-30 from around 55 plus,or spend the money now to reduce that heavy hitter now to a more managable recoil :thumb:

side note: if the SHTF then there is no such thing is haveing enough.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Well the way I see it, it's not coming down any time soon.
Stock in bulk what factory ammo you can.
Get reloading equipment and supplies to bolster your stock for long term.

Numbers?

1K for handguns, each weapon.
1K for bolt actions, each weapon.
2K for semi auto, each weapon.
4K for MG or belt fed ,each weapon.
500 for each shotgun
5k for 22 rimfires, each weapon.
Double that for reloading supplies.

It wont go down in price unless it starts falling off the back of big green trucks.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Stay low and out of sight is the best route. Firearms are a last ditch to your safety. Having enough supplies, a secluded area, a reliable means of getting there, and having the means to provide for yourself is what really matters.

Using a gun is a coin toss. My guess is one out three chance. Best spending resources avoid plan B all together.

We can't tell you a number, you already got one in your head. The trick is to get a defined goal to get there. Don't buy a box or two at a time. You'll get much more bang for your buck buying online a few hundred rounds at a time. Don't want to blow a bunch of ammo, but still want to practice. Get a 22lr rifle and get "snap caps" for your primary firearm. 9 times out of 10, you already missed before you pulled the trigger. There is much more to shooting than what your eye sees and your finger does. Dry firing practice can hone out all those problems.

Without proper training and frequent quality practice, you probably only need a dozen rounds. If I end up on foot, only bout 150 rounds are going with me. Best to travel light. Slow targets are easy ones to shoot.

Overall though, spend more time learn and thinking than spending. I dove into this and did not shop wisely because I knew little about it.

IF you got a few months food and a basic rifle with a few time more ammo boxes than the average hunter, you're well ahead of the curve for 95% of the US population.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Dont know what you have, nor your budget. I prefer AK 47/74's Why? Usual reasons, reliable, etc. But really its AMMO PRICE. Stock up on thousands of rounds, takes up small area. I have other guns, 223, 308, 12 ga... Only ones I stock up for are AK's, 22 LR and 45 ACP If you have one 'SHTF' gun, stock up for that gun. Hopefully its a caliber you can get bulk/cheap or surplus... 22LR is a great survival round, and super cheap. 2000 rounds minimum 22 LR 1000 rounds minimum for SHTF gun, more if its a high cap and you 'spray 'n pray' (waste bullets)

If you dont have a SHTF rifle, I suggest AK47. Get 1-2k rounds, mags. Then get an RPK, its an AK on steroids and fills light 'machine' gun role with the 75 round drums. For that, I'd recomend at least 5000 rounds For hand out rifles, AK is cheap enough to get a few to friends/family. There wont be re-supply. Prices are going up. They store forever in ammo cans. Stock up

But youre right, dont go crazy. Not until other aspects are covered. Food, water, gear, other things are more important than 1000 rounds per weapon. For now, I'd just say 1k for your main SHTF weapon and 500 minimum for SHTF handgun- with a buttload of 22 LR (assuming you have a 22LR) That will hold the fort down, where your food, gear, etc is. For bug out, hopefully dont have to leave your preps, but 10 lbs of ammo should do fine My BO rifle is an AK74, lighter ammo than 223. Effective. Will drop a deer. I shoot every other caliber but that AK74 first.

If I have to leave my position where my preps are, better to burn it out than have the enemy well fed, armed, and supplied. Worked for Russia vs Napoleon and the NAZI's. I can survive on tree bark, slugs, and lizzards if I must...

Dont weigh yourself down with stuff you should be avoiding- direct combat, firefights, etc Defend yourself, but look for trouble, no. Hiding and avoiding contact conserves ammo and its not cowardness Nor is it murder/cowardness by ambushing the KNOWN ENEMY by sniping, shooting in the back, or catching them drunk, stoned or sleeping Whatever you do, when you need to shoot, shoot to kill. Ferocity. Dont loose your head, mistakes happen You miss that one guy in the corner, he shoots you dead...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Or you can learn how to reload, buy bullets for the various calibers you use and buy appropriate powders and primers. That way you will be reloading what you're shooting, as you use the ammunition. You can buy some general purpose and special purpose bullets and overall save money. I can reload anything that I own using 3 different powders and 2 sizes of primers. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,572 Posts
This question is asked all the time (search is handy). And the concensus is generally that there is no such thing as too much. You can always use the excess for training new shooters, keeping your own skills hones, barter, etc.

But how much a person wants/needs is really dependant on their personal situation. Some folks think they'll only be doing a bit of light hunting. If so, they don't need a whole lot. Others seem to think they'll somehow magically survive shootout after shootout, expending tens of thousands of rounds. For them, stocking tens of thousands of rounds makes sense. Most of us are probably somewhere in the middle.

·
Alert Today~Alive Tmrrw
2,991 Posts
Just stocking any old ammo is senseless if it won't function, or is inaccurate from your firearms. It's a steep, expensive learning curve because every gun prefers a certain or specific type of ammo. Many variables to factor in.

Example: Does your AR prefer 55gr or 62gr bullet weights..? Federal or Winchester?

the only limits on how much ammo you should buy is money and storage. <edited>
What he said ↑

Also keep in mind you need plenty of spare ammo to practice with.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
How much ammo is too much ammo? Beside the obvious issue of how much can you bug out with, there has to be some train of thought for what is not enough and what is too much.
if a television producer invites you to star in a TV reality show for hoarders because you have stacks of ammo reaching to the ceiling all over the house...you MIGHT have enough ammo

if code enforcement is knocking on your door to complain about your mountains of filled ammo cans...you MIGHT have enough ammo

if you have ever appeared before a judge due to public safety complaints about your ammunition stockpile...you MIGHT have enough ammo

if any ammo manufacturer, retailer, or distributor sends you a christmas gift thanking you for being a volume purchaser...you MIGHT have enough ammo

the final axiom on ammunition: ammo is like sex and money...you can never have too much.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,415 Posts
Buy enough to last the rest of your life. No reason to be greedy about it.

If 40-50,000 rounds is all you think you need, spend the rest on food.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts