Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting video from RT

I've heard of the Liberty dollar, and there's a Potomac & Anacostia Hours currency made in DC

I wish the video would explain more about how it works

As Americans become frustrated with the US economy, more and more people are getting creative with their money, like Larry Chang and Nick Williams, who make their own currency.

936 Posts
I think it is a great idea in principle -- especially if you back it with something of value like gold or perhaps another local resource.

You have to be very careful about this though. Here is what happened to the guy who started the Liberty Dollar (a la Wikipedia):

A federal grand jury brought an indictment against von NotHaus and three others in May 2009 in United States District Court in Statesville, North Carolina,[30] and von NotHaus was arrested on June 6, 2009. Bernard von NotHaus is charged with one count of conspiracy to possess and sell coins in resemblance and similitude of coins of a denomination higher than five cents, and silver coins in resemblance of genuine coins of the United States in denominations of five dollars and greater, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 485

, 18 U.S.C. § 486

, and 18 U.S.C. § 371

; one count of mail fraud in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1341

and 18 U.S.C. § 2

; one count of selling, and possessing with intent to defraud, coins of resemblance and similitude of United States coins in denominations of five cents and higher, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 485

and 18 U.S.C. § 2

; and one count of uttering, passing, and attempting to utter and pass, silver coins in resemblance of genuine U.S. coins in denominations of five dollars or greater, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 486

and 18 U.S.C. § 2

.[31]

On July 28, 2009, von NotHaus entered a plea of not guilty.[32]

·
time to go now?
1,161 Posts
sounds like you are pretty familiar with these subjects. so familiar that you can't help yourself even when you pretend to be some sort of insurrectionist.

Maybe you can work for the government in the new country that you were asking about.

936 Posts
sounds like you are pretty familiar with these subjects. so familiar that you can't help yourself even when you pretend to be some sort of insurrectionist.

Maybe you can work for the government in the new country that you were asking about.
Howdy Dave, I don't think we've been introduced.

As a libertarian, I listen to libertarian radio. The Liberty Dollar is a frequent subject.

OR maybe since I am a sinister government agent trying to incite an insurrection here on the forum, that is my scripted response.

dunDunDUNNNnnnNNNN!

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Von Nothead will likely beat that charge being the liberty dollars did not resemble the "genuine" coin in much of any respect other than physical dimensions.
That said I personally believe he was a snake oil salesman. He minted a coin of silver that was worth all of $13 and was selling it for and insisting everyone else should regard it as $20 when the actual silver eagle was $15!
Worse still was that copper crap he was pawning off.
While I do not think he needed to be prosecuted I call those who bought his coins idiots parted from their money.

·
time to go now?
1,161 Posts
Howdy Dave, I don't think we've been introduced.

As a libertarian, I listen to libertarian radio. The Liberty Dollar is a frequent subject.

OR maybe since I am a sinister government agent trying to incite an insurrection here on the forum, that is my scripted response.

dunDunDUNNNnnnNNNN!
ah. I would have no way of knowing.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
WOW......could be a sign of the future
Blast from the past, actually. Local currencies have been around for a long time. They hit their heyday during the Depression, when with the banks closed and people hoarding what little 'real' money they had, businesses created their own 'dollars' so there would be a functioning medium of exchange they could trade with. The use of local currencies have pettered out since then, but some communities still have them.

Of course since they're not backed with gold, obviiously folks here would disapprove of such things... :D:

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts
Made of paper.
Will fail like all the others.
Also very easy to counterfeit.

If I was going to do this I would use junk silver or gold bullion.
Can't counterfeit that.

Reactions: Dr.Gee

·
AKA The Dragon
2,819 Posts
In a small community, it could be used as part of a barter system, if goods and services could not be exchanged for numerous reasons.

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts
I'm all for a community currency. I believe in England they had a system called 'lets'.

http://www.gmlets.u-net.com/faq.html#section1

Why should we be forced to send our money to Washington or Wall Street. Trading locally with barter, lets , or whatever other co-op system seems to work keeps the parasites from getting fatter.

The Fed and fractional reserve create fiat paper money out of thin air, but let one of us do it and we are going away for a long time for counterfeiting.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
We had a local paper barter system here, with a centralized accounting, so that at anytime you could call and verify someone's account balance if they offered to pay you in the dollars.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
Some of these local currencies resemble barter in a number of ways. I wonder what the IRS thinks about them, though. If they ever begin to really take off I expect they'll be taxed.

No other paper currency will work any better the the paper dollar.......the only real currency is barter.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
The Fed and fractional reserve create fiat paper money out of thin air, but let one of us do it and we are going away for a long time for counterfeiting.
Of course silly! Don't you know that the bookie does not want anyone else to cut in on the action?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts