Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new study shows that nearsightedness is up 66 percent since the 1970s.

-http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/america-s-vision-gets-blurrier-17168303

Well that's a bit disconcerting. Its got to be something we are doing or eating.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts

-http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-15749655/america-s-vision-gets-blurrier-17168303

Well that's a bit disconcerting. Its got to be something we are doing or eating.
The answer is/was right in front of you when you posted this thread.

Most of us have jobs/school that require us to use the computer. That has made us myopic.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,429 Posts
How about the 110 billion text messages sent last year. That was quoted in the yahoo story.

We are working way too much "up close".

We need to get away from the "fine print"

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,301 Posts
As much as I'd like to blame TV, it's computers. My own vision had only changed slowly until I started spending so much time on computers. It began changing nearly yearly and has worsened immensely. The eye doc explained it. Reading, computers and close up work cause it.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
why does reading and close up work ruin your eyesight?
i understand they old style tube t.v.'s they had radiation shooting out of them. microwave ovens too.

my eyesight gets worse and worse all the time...............

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
As much as I'd like to blame TV, it's computers. My own vision had only changed slowly until I started spending so much time on computers. It began changing nearly yearly and has worsened immensely. The eye doc explained it. Reading, computers and close up work cause it.
then does being outside and far away stuff make youyr eyes get better?

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
why does reading and close up work ruin your eyesight?
i understand they old style tube t.v.'s they had radiation shooting out of them. microwave ovens too.

my eyesight gets worse and worse all the time...............
The more close up work you do the less exercise your eyes get. Over time your eyes are unable to focus on far away objects as well. There are some claims that you can regain some of your focus ability by exercises designed to re-develop your eyes. Optical experts are divided on if this actually works.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,823 Posts
I do it's that simple. That we focus on short distances so much and with little rest. Like all day long in school.

Just a few people, but all my friends who read a lot are really nearsighted, the others aren't.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

i swear i was born with hairy palms, honest injun.

·
Believe in Yourself
4,495 Posts
How about less and less nutrients in the diet that support eye sight?
Americans in general have a pretty crappy diet. Seems common sense would say if you don't give your body what it needs something ain't going to work as well. Especially if you ad more stress like screen time or such. You got to eat right to be strong right? Why not the eyes?

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Not really. I believe that the science and medicine of detection has just become so much better that nearsightedness is being diagnosed more often. Also, the criteria for this condition have changed since the 1970's.

I've been nearsighted and have needed glasses since 1962. I and my father were among the first patients of Dr. Key (helped pioneer contact lens technology) in Dallas in 1970 to receive hard contacts lenses. I've worn contacts ever since.

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
We as a population are getting older so naturally the statistic would rise. I am 51 and definitely use reading glasses. Somewhere in my mid 40s my arms got too short.

The computer stuff might be a factor. I don't use glasses at the computer but need them for book print. Part of it might be that the computer screen is already farther away though.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,823 Posts
We as a population are getting older so naturally the statistic would rise. I am 51 and definitely use reading glasses.
Then you are farsighted. The OP is about nearsightedness.

Me, I'm both nearsighted and farsighted. Part from long, solitary walks, what I did from age 10 to maybe 18 was being inside and read. At 14 I was already pretty nearsighted. No computer games back then though. I was told by eye doctors to wear glasses when I was reading which I rarely did, and now I'm told I did the right thing since reading with glasses at beginning of myopia willjust make it escalate faster. I didn't actually start wearing glasses on a daily basis until i was maybe 28 or something. My farsightedness is just the natural age related thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts