Survivalist Forum banner

Which "American AK" design do you prefer?

• AK with stars and stripes inset (the first one)

Votes: 48 78.7%
  • AK on flag (the second one)

Votes: 13 21.3%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's official. Ordering for these limited run "American AK" shirts has begun.

To get yours, add a post to this thread and then PM me with your e-mail address and quantity/size requests.

I am producing a small run of professionally screen-printed shirts with my original "American AK" design in three colors on high-quality black 100% cotton Gildan Ultra brand heavyweight fabric.

Kalashnikov owners and patriotic Americans unite! These will be delivered in time for Inauguration Day! Even if you are not an AK owner, this is a great shirt for anyone who believes in protecting our 2nd Amendment rights.

$19 EACH (Add $1 for 2X or 3X and $2 for 4X or 5X)
Priority Mail shipping is $5 for 1 shirt, $7 for 2-3 shirts, $9 for 4-6 shirts, and $13 for 7+ shirts
Quantity discount available on 6 or more shirts
PayPal payment preferred
(even though their anti-gun policies suck)
USPS money orders also accepted

ALL ORDERS MUST BE RECEIVED AND PAID BY 1 JANUARY 2009
There will only be a small number of shirts in this limited run so please order ASAP.

If you like the shirt and would be interested in owning one (or more!), please add a post to this thread and PM me with your name, e-mail address, size/quantity requests, and method of payment. I will contact you ASAP to finalize your order and give you payment details. Thanks for your interest.

*** ORIGINAL POST ***

In light of the changing American political climate and the likely fallout on firearm ownership legislation from the newly elected administration and congress, I thought it would be nice for gun owners to have a very visible way for Americans who support our constitutional right to keep and bear arms to show their support in this period before the presidential inauguration and the swearing in of a new congress.

In particular, I wanted to create a T-shirt design featuring the venerable but much-maligned AK-47 to debunk its reputation as an "evil black rifle" and a "commie gun" and recognize it as the popular and practical American civil defense rifle it has become -- especially since November 4.

So I came up with these two original "American AK" T-shirt designs -- one with Old Glory's stars and stripes inset and the other with the rifle on the flag -- and I'm thinking about having some printed up. What do you think of these designs, and which do you prefer?

Left: AK with stars and stripes inset. Right: AK on flag.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like the rifle on the flag. When are they going on sale? I would like to buy a few of them.
Hi, Ramona. As soon as I get about 25 responses to the poll, if not sooner. My local screen printer will do a very small limited run for me in three colors on 100% cotton black Gildan Ultra brand heavyweight shirts, and he does very nice work. PM me if you'd like to get some additional info. They would ship no later than January 16th.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Sweet! I like them both, but particularly the one where the AK-47 is alone, and red white and blue. It makes a very simple and clear statement. I have always said that the Kalashnikov has been the symbol of liberation and defense just as often as it's been the symbol of oppression. It's funny, because in the middle east, an AK is considered a tool, like a rake or a hammer. They don't even call it a rifle. Other guns are considered guns. But the AK, present in EVERY home is veiwed as an implement, almost like a casserole dish or something. I think it's awesome how they are quickly becoming an American household defender as well. The com-bloc countries never could have seen that one coming!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...But the AK, present in EVERY home is veiwed as an implement, almost like a casserole dish or something. I think it's awesome how they are quickly becoming an American household defender as well. The com-bloc countries never could have seen that one coming!
Well said, CF. So true!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Beautiful shirts but for some reason I've never been able to overcome the idea of the AK being a weapon of oppression rather than a weapon of freedom. Maybe I'm just a Cold War dinosaur or something but I've never really had the urge to buy an AK or an SKS.

Why not an M-14 / M1A or an AR-15 variant on the shirt? Just curious.

I wish you the best in getting them sold and into the public space. Good luck.

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
I like these shirts, but what about adding text to the back of the shirt? Something like "Sic semper tyrannis" or the like, something so people know your pro-constitution, not making of it.

Just a friendly idea :)

Reactions: lilc

·
Diamond Dog
1,504 Posts
I would rather see the full text of the Second Amendment on the back.
That idea is better, sorry, i had to come up with something off the top of my head :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would rather see the full text of the Second Amendment on the back.
I like these shirts, but what about adding text to the back of the shirt? Something like "Sic semper tyrannis" or the like, something so people know your pro-constitution, not making of it. Just a friendly idea :)
Thanks to you both for your feedback. I agree with you that text on the back would be a very cool counterpoint to the image on the front. Unfortunately, printing on both sides of the shirt, in particular when it's a second design requiring its own respective set-up costs, would dramatically increase the cost to produce each shirt. As anyone familiar with process will assure you, professionally screenprinting a design in three colors on a very small batch of T-shirts -- even on only one side -- is not very cost effective. To print text on the back would make it very difficult to offer the such a limited-run shirt to anyone at a cost one might consider reasonable, even with me foregoing any compensation for my own work in bringing it to folks.

However, if I wind up making these shirts and you guys want one, I'll put a Sharpie™ marker in the package with yours, and you can write the inspiring message of your choice on the back! :D:

Regarding the poll, looks like we may already have a winner (about 4:1)...

However, if enough folks post a reply to this thread with "FLAG" at the start of the message, I may be able to offer the other (rectangular) design as well in a separate run in the near, possibly on a white T-shirt instead.

If you add a post here, I can contact you about getting a shirt soon.

I appreciate all the feedback so far, and I welcome your further votes and comments. Thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

To get yours, add a post to this thread and then PM me with your e-mail address and quantity/size requests.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm thinking kids sizes to match the adults.
We do that with our company T-shirts. The kids love 'em and I get tons of comments/cheap advertising.

·
96 Posts
Can I get a V-neck? Will be happy to pay more

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The second design more resembles the US Civil flag, which is what I think makes the better statement. The civilian militia is what would save this country if we were ever invaded, not the military.. The first shirt with the AK and flag inset looks more rednecky and I'd almost expect to see a rebel flag on the back.

No offense, ********..

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm thinking kids sizes to match the adults.
We do that with our company T-shirts. The kids love 'em and I get tons of comments/cheap advertising.
If someone orders kids' sizes (along with at least one adult shirt -- this is about politics after all!), I will print them! Children's tees would be $2 less than adult shirts (and the fabric weight (and possibly the content) may differ slightly).

The second design more resembles the US Civil flag, which is what I think makes the better statement. The civilian militia is what would save this country if we were ever invaded, not the military...
You raise some interesting points, FP. While I don't think of the rfile design as "rednecky", I suppose it really boils down to exactly what kind of political statement one wishes to make. That's why I keep designing different T-shirts! :thumb:

It looks like in a month or so there may be sufficient interest to do the second rectangular "AK Flag" design, probably on a white T-shirt to bring the cost down a buck or so (only two printed colors) a bit and give those who like lighter colors an option. I would be willing say that anyone who buys a shirt with this "American AK" rifle design in the current limited run will receive a discount of at least $5 (i.e., free shipping) on "AK Flag" shirt order during a run sometime in late January or early February. That way you get the best of both worlds... :)

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
The second design more resembles the US Civil flag, which is what I think makes the better statement. The civilian militia is what would save this country if we were ever invaded, not the military.. The first shirt with the AK and flag inset looks more rednecky and I'd almost expect to see a rebel flag on the back.

No offense, ********..
Now THERES a neat idea...yeah...the stars and bars background.

LOL rednecky...I have got to try and use that one at work! :thumb:

When ya get a cost per shirt, let us know. Also, would we need to order a size larger for shrinkage?

BTW I voted the same as Ford Prefect! :D:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If someone orders kids' sizes (along with at least one adult shirt -- this is about politics after all!), I will print them! Children's tees would be $2 less than adult shirts (and the fabric weight (and possibly the content) may differ slightly).

You raise some interesting points, FP. While I don't think of the rfile design as "rednecky", I suppose it really boils down to exactly what kind of political statement one wishes to make. That's why I keep designing different T-shirts! :thumb:
That said, I would most likely wear either.. My only issue with the standard flag is that there are a lot of false patriots who fly the flag blindly... It has almost become passe.. A flag on the bumper sticker next to another one that reads "THESE COLORS DON'T RUN" and then the rebel flag and then the CB antenna mount and then a big spot of rust. But like you said, the statement you are trying to make is key.. Depends who the enemy is.. If the enemy is middle eastern "terrorists" in general, then the first design suits it better I guess.. If the enemy is the tramplers of the constitution, which the TRUE enemy we should be rallying against is, then the stars and stripes kind of makes it a joke.. I can see you selling another design to that crowd and doubling your profit.

I also think the AK is a much better choice than an AR.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
x5976549867649
LOL :rofl: I hear ya...

...If the enemy is middle eastern "terrorists" in general, then the first design suits it better I guess...
Well, from the artist's perspective, for me personally it's less about who the enemy is and more about who -- or what -- it isn't -- and the AK is not the enemy! But that's what's so cool about art: it means different things to different people.

===

I am producing a small run of professionally screen-printed shirts with my original "American AK" design in three colors on high-quality black 100% cotton Gildan Ultra brand heavyweight fabric.

Kalashnikov owners and patriotic Americans unite! These will be delivered in time for Inauguration Day! Even if you are not an AK owner, this is a great shirt for anyone who believes in protecting our 2nd Amendment rights.

$19 EACH (Add $1 for 2X or 3X and $2 for 4X or 5X)
Priority Mail shipping is $5 for 1 shirt, $7 for 2-3 shirts, $9 for 4-6 shirts, and $13 for 7+ shirts
Quantity discount available on 6 or more shirts
PayPal payment preferred
(even though their anti-gun policies suck)
USPS money orders also accepted

ALL ORDERS MUST BE RECEIVED AND PAID BY 1 JANUARY 2009
There will only be a small number of shirts in this limited run so please order ASAP.

If you like the shirt and would be interested in owning one (or more!), please add a post to this thread and PM me with your name, e-mail address, size/quantity requests, and method of payment. I will contact you ASAP to finalize your order and give you payment details. Thanks for your interest.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts