Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Storyteller
4,309 Posts
I guess Brits can have no guns and no knives, so spears are the next best thing?

I get that spear hunting of boars may still be a thing in the UK, nothing I would try.

As to your question, this - oddly - has generated more than a few videos from the primitive hunters types
Here are a couple

I would say most see this as a weapon of war, rather than a hunting tool.

Thanks for starting an interesting tropic!

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
6,666 Posts
I guess Brits can have no guns and no knives, so spears are the next best thing?
We have guns and knives.

I get that spear hunting of boars may still be a thing in the UK, nothing I would try.
Its not really a thing.

It is a true survivalist topic.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Personally, I think of throwing a spear the same way I do throwing a knife:

Why toss away a perfectly capable weapon?

I would rather shoot bow til the quiver is empty then used the spear to keep anything surviving the arrows at bay.

Reactions: mrhonda1975

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Personally, I think of throwing a spear the same way I do throwing a knife:

Why toss away a perfectly capable weapon?

I would rather shoot bow til the quiver is empty then used the spear to keep anything surviving the arrows at bay.
Or, throw the spear and rush in with sword and shield. Or have two spears, one being for throwing. History is full of spears dedicated to being thrown.

Of course if you're hunting, you just go pick it up afterwards.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

As to your question, this - oddly - has generated more than a few videos from the primitive hunters types
Here are a couple

There not primitive hunters there nerds lol😂

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One does not necessarily need to throw the spear to be effective,
although the skill of throwing is a valuable asset.
I could imagine if shi t hit the fan and the horses in the fields started looking tasty that throwing it at them would be the ideal situation id rather not get stomped to death by running at it like a nearnderthal and just thrusting it

·
Super Moderator
12,406 Posts
One needs to understand how all of these non-firearm weapons and tools relate to one another and complement each other. Like most things prep-related, it is not an either-or situation with these. Just as you do not throw your only knife, you have a knife you always have on you, but you also carry a set of three or more actual throwing knives.

It is the same with the spears. Javelins are designed for throwing, not thrusting. Soldiers, and then hunters, never carried just one javelin. Soldiers usually would carry three, plus a weapon that they kept with them. A thrusting spear, which is not designed to be thrown, and does not work well when someone does throw one. Or, as someone else posted, sword and shield. And it was the same for many archers. They used their bow as the enemy approached, and about the time they were out of arrows, what was left of the attacking force would be at hand-to-hand range and they would use their sword and shield, sometimes they would have a thrusting spear, or an impact weapon such as a mace.

Personally, I like the Spartan style javelin, and the mid-length 'boar' spear (usually with a crossbar at the base of the spear point so the spear would not go all they through the animal, be it a boar, deer, human, or something else, which would allow it to get to the person holding the spear.)

I am not fond of the really long spears and pikes. They are designed to be used by soldiers in formations where the length allowed two or three ranks of spears all out in front of the formation.

Having been in two situations where very large, very angry sows were charging me, I would want something like a boar spear to make sure I could stop the thing, even if it was not an instant kill. Once I would have had time to do something, and did. Or, actually, my father did. The other time I was able to get across a stream before the sow could reach me. She decided I was not worth the effort.

I have seen wild boar, large ones, but never been attacked, nor hunted them. The same with several big, bony, range cattle, and a domesticated bull. They are not something you mess around with. If you intend to hunt them without firearms, except as backup, then you want something that will work.

Javelins work fine for light-skinned animals at a distance. So, even the ones that could and would do you harm if they get to you, can be taken down, or at least injured severely enough that they cannot get to you before they are unable to do any damage.

What was called a hunting sword, back in the days when those types of hunts were commonplace was used to give the death blow, actually a thrust, to kill the downed animal if the initial spear(s) or arrows did not kill it immediately, just put in on the ground.

Again, personally, I would add an entangling net to my equipment, so I could stop smaller animals that might want to hurt me, or to help subdue an injured game animal that still had some fight in it and might hook you with a horn or antler or get a bite in if you got too close. The net would keep them from doing anything effective until you could give the death thrust.

I had always planned on going on an American Bison (buffalo) spear hunt, but simply got too old and too crippled up before I had the money so I could.

Just like so many other things, like black powder cartridge and flintlock arms, atlatls, big game traps, fish hunts (for the huge river fish that used to exist), many preppers consider totally useless. I think they have merit, and in a Post-Apocalyptic World where there will not be any new manufactured items for decades, possibly centuries, I want to be able to start using the next level down technology as soon as I see that I will not be able to replace any of what I am using, before I use it all. Then, if need be, do another step down, again, before using up everything in that previous step that cannot be replaced.

Just my long, rambling, almost rant, of an opinion.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
One needs to understand how all of these non-firearm weapons and tools relate to one another and complement each other. Like most things prep-related, it is not an either-or situation with these. Just as you do not throw your only knife, you have a knife you always have on you, but you also carry a set of three or more actual throwing knives.

It is the same with the spears. Javelins are designed for throwing, not thrusting. Soldiers, and then hunters, never carried just one javelin. Soldiers usually would carry three, plus a weapon that they kept with them. A thrusting spear, which is not designed to be thrown, and does not work well when someone does throw one. Or, as someone else posted, sword and shield. And it was the same for many archers. They used their bow as the enemy approached, and about the time they were out of arrows, what was left of the attacking force would be at hand-to-hand range and they would use their sword and shield, sometimes they would have a thrusting spear, or an impact weapon such as a mace.

Personally, I like the Spartan style javelin, and the mid-length 'boar' spear (usually with a crossbar at the base of the spear point so the spear would not go all they through the animal, be it a boar, deer, human, or something else, which would allow it to get to the person holding the spear.)

I am not fond of the really long spears and pikes. They are designed to be used by soldiers in formations where the length allowed two or three ranks of spears all out in front of the formation.

Having been in two situations where very large, very angry sows were charging me, I would want something like a boar spear to make sure I could stop the thing, even if it was not an instant kill. Once I would have had time to do something, and did. Or, actually, my father did. The other time I was able to get across a stream before the sow could reach me. She decided I was not worth the effort.

I have seen wild boar, large ones, but never been attacked, nor hunted them. The same with several big, bony, range cattle, and a domesticated bull. They are not something you mess around with. If you intend to hunt them without firearms, except as backup, then you want something that will work.

Javelins work fine for light-skinned animals at a distance. So, even the ones that could and would do you harm if they get to you, can be taken down, or at least injured severely enough that they cannot get to you before they are unable to do any damage.

What was called a hunting sword, back in the days when those types of hunts were commonplace was used to give the death blow, actually a thrust, to kill the downed animal if the initial spear(s) or arrows did not kill it immediately, just put in on the ground.

Again, personally, I would add an entangling net to my equipment, so I could stop smaller animals that might want to hurt me, or to help subdue an injured game animal that still had some fight in it and might hook you with a horn or antler or get a bite in if you got too close. The net would keep them from doing anything effective until you could give the death thrust.

I had always planned on going on an American Bison (buffalo) spear hunt, but simply got too old and too crippled up before I had the money so I could.

Just like so many other things, like black powder cartridge and flintlock arms, atlatls, big game traps, fish hunts (for the huge river fish that used to exist), many preppers consider totally useless. I think they have merit, and in a Post-Apocalyptic World where there will not be any new manufactured items for decades, possibly centuries, I want to be able to start using the next level down technology as soon as I see that I will not be able to replace any of what I am using, before I use it all. Then, if need be, do another step down, again, before using up everything in that previous step that cannot be replaced.

Just my long, rambling, almost rant, of an opinion.
Jerry, Couldn't even name one species of the once huge river fish.

It's getting like that ... maybe already happened ... out in the Atlantic. The Wright brothers of aviation fame had diary telling of large schools of fish just offshore North Carolina. Sad situation but correctable.

Above was an interesting post. From junior high school days, we didn't know the difference between a rod and a staff. I'd find comfort with one of those long lances.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Survivalist should have a knowledge of all the weapons and tools they can.
This ^^^^^^

Because in all reality, the gear drives how the mission gets executed. I know that's not a popular opinion ("The mission dictates the gear! Not the other way around!"), but we kill our enemies with drones, spy satellites, and the finest small arms tax dollars can buy because we can't travel back in time and teleport a micro black hole into the bad guy's aorta wall. We use the most advanced and capable means AVAILABLE.

So at some point, the most advanced means available might be a loop of cordage on a pointy stick that allows you to kill other people before they can kill you with their pointy sticks. The mission remains the same (do unto others before they do unto you), but the execution is different (poke holes with sticks instead of guns, because guns aren't an option for whatever reason), because the gear is different.

·
reluctant sinner
18,886 Posts
Bart saved the world from the space alien's with a pointy stick after Lisa convinced the world to disarm.

Its not all that hard to make a bow with arrows, much more accurate range than throwing something with your hand.

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,418 Posts
Bart saved the world from the space alien's with a pointy stick after Lisa convinced the world to disarm.

Its not all that hard to make a bow with arrows, much more accurate range than throwing something with your hand.
I believe it was Einstein that said “I don’t know when WW3 will happen but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones”…

spear hunting is actually a growing sport in the bear and wild/feral pigs world…but with a gun as backup….

1 - 20 of 39 Posts