Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
The timber industry creates lots of jobs. Better (for Georgia) to grow the trees and have the jobs in Georgia than in, say, Canada. Better for wealthy Ga. residents to build pulpwood and lumber factories in Ga. than in another state. Better for Ga. to get the tax money than giving it to another state. Simple self-interest.

All this was figured out long before Bill Gates was conceived.

Nothing to do with controlling the salad market.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
The timber industry creates lots of jobs. Better (for Georgia) to grow the trees and have the jobs in Georgia than in, say, Canada. Better for wealthy Ga. residents to build pulpwood and lumber factories in Ga. than in another state. Better for Ga. to get the tax money than giving it to another state. Simple self-interest.

All this was figured out long before Bill Gates was conceived.

Nothing to do with controlling the salad market.
i dont believe that. god help georgia if they have to wait 15-30 years to collect lumber jobs/taxes

·
Registered
51 Posts
Farm Ground can differ from one side of the field to the other so GA to KY isn't a good comparison. CRP can be pretty particular about what you do or don't do and how you do or don't do it. I would definitely look closely at the expectations and requirements first

·
Registered
763 Posts
i dont believe that. god help georgia if they have to wait 15-30 years to collect lumber jobs/taxes
Do you really think that trees weren't growing 30 years ago?
This is to ensure that there'll be trees 30 years from now, instead of another industry moved to China.

Sorry you're not capable of believing that people can plan ahead.

Sorry you don't understand how year-round jobs for local people is better than twice a year short-term harvesting jobs for "undocumented" workers.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Hey, if you're gonna be planting trees anyway, I recommend a book I just read "Farming the Woods".

I left a review with multiple details on this site. Check it, and the book, out. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Yes, 100%, READ THE FINE PRINT!

The real question is will he be ALLOWED to log the place for profit in 20-30 years? Can he run cattle or other livestock in there in the meantime? Can he cull trees, thin the stands, or plant anything under those trees, and who says which trees or which crop?
I don't know what the initial cost of planting is for 75 acres, but most of the GA pines are harvested in 15-20 years. If you're $6000 from the program each year and pay off the land owner the lease fee, you're still netting over 2K a year. After 15 years, that's over 30K. Whether you profit from the harvest or not, that's pretty easy money IF, the program lasts that long. My assumption is the state gets a cut of the harvest...and earnings would be minimal, but after 15-20 years, it's not a bad investment strategy once your initial planting is completed. Add a few deer feeders and put up a few stands and charger $200-500 for hunting leases during hunting season 😁

ROCK6

·
Registered
763 Posts
You are right.
That's why it is stupid of me to plant fruit trees or grapes, and then wait several years before I get a good harvest.
I should sell the land now and let them build apartments on it.

·
Registered
I don't know
155 Posts
One of the pieces of property I bought after the last economic crash is in CRP. I think it has 9 years left. I wasn't going to use it for farming anyway, so I'll use the money for property taxes. The soil is sandy and it is in there for erosion control, but they also will do it if too much corn or soybeans flood the market. When it come out I'm just going to let it go wild so I'm not out any farm land.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts

Similar applies to media, pharmaceuticals, etc., materials for infrastructure, and even credit to buy these products or buy or lease land.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts