Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I look at the prices of titanium equipment and it is at least 5x more expensive than aluminum if not up to 10x. Is this a case of having more money than common sense? I mean $42 for a titanium cup! My nice stainless steel one was maybe $5 and I can deal with the weight; if I were backpacking/hiking I would buy aluminum.

So, how can anyone justify the crazy amount of money for titanium vs the more "realistic" price of aluminum.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Aluminum is good, but titanium is only slightly heavier, stronger than steel, and practically corrosion-proof. In some cases titanium items can be lighter than their aluminum counterparts because they're made from thinner material.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Aluminum is good, but titanium is only slightly heavier, stronger than steel, and practically corrosion-proof. In some cases titanium items can be lighter than their aluminum counterparts because they're made from thinner material.
Titanium is not stronger then steel. Just pound for pound its stronger. It also dents easier but its more flexible. First of alumminum is like 4 to 5 dollars a pound where titanium is between 28.00 and 38.00 for a normal price right now its running more. Theres more lead time to get it and it and it cost more in time and tools to cut,shape or whatever is done to it. To each there is a place. find out what your need is and go that way to make up your mind.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
For the people that hike for exercise I completely agree. Pack a few extra pounds, you're out here for the workout anyway right?

It's like the cyclists that spend $5K for a 23 oz. bike (just made up the weight, no flames please). Want to get in even better shape? Make the bike weigh 23 POUNDS... now you can halve your time out. :D:

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Why use stainless when titanium is so much lighter?!
All well my friend as much as I would enjoy outfitting my pack with the latest titanium equipment I am a mall security guard who make 9 dollars an hour and has full custody of his 5 year old daughter and receives no help from her mother. Since my daughter comes first there is much left for titanium

·
Excelsior
101 Posts
Titanium is light weight. Aluminum corrodes and has, like many plastics, been implicated in health problems. Using lightweight stuff means I can carry more books when backpacking. For car camping, I favor stainless steel, btw. And lots more books!

·
Registered
965 Posts
i dont think its worth the weight difference, i live stainless for pretty much everything but i dont mind the weight. Titanium would be nice but i dont have that kind of money to get a bunch of titanium gear so a slight weight reduction. If u ever read up on how titanium is made it sounds like a pain so i can see why it cost so much more. It definitely has its advantages, like most things in life u get what u pay for.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I look at the prices of titanium equipment and it is at least 5x more expensive than aluminum if not up to 10x. Is this a case of having more money than common sense? I mean $42 for a titanium cup! My nice stainless steel one was maybe $5 and I can deal with the weight; if I were backpacking/hiking I would buy aluminum.

So, how can anyone justify the crazy amount of money for titanium vs the more "realistic" price of aluminum.
Aluminum is much weaker than Titanium or steel. So durability is the key here.

Now Titanium vs steel... it is about weight.

If you want a good medium of strength, lightweight and affordable, look for 7075 aluminum (aircraft aluminum) items.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
I agree for me at least I can't justify the price of titanium over aluminium or stainless will the stuff I have in my hiking pack for my daughter and I I would rather add a couple ounces of weight and save to money

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Because some people make $80k+ per year and can afford Ti gear if they want it.

If Ti gear is 1% better than Al or SS gear, and you can afford it without noticing the money difference, you may as well get the best gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
aluminium gives you alzheimers.
According to the information I've seen, that was never actually proven. From Alz.org:

Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

I think you're right, Tank, titanium is for the people with more money than sense... and the type of people that cut down the handles on their eating utensils to save on weight, but that sounds a little senseless to me too. By every account I've seen, it's a terrible material for a cooking pot, unless you're just looking to boil water.

Now, I could see myself buying a titanium spork, just to be able to say I have a titanium spork, but not because it's so much more effective than a normal spork.

·
Registered
37 Posts
aluminium gives you alzheimers.

I have a plastic cup. :D:

I've heard that too and have avoided aly, also I found it taints the water a bit. I'm too stingy for Ti though and believe the mining/ manf. processes are not very environmentally chummy. Best leave the Ti in the SR-71s!

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
just like anything else, if you can afford it, why not? it's all about your preferences and your ability to acquire. by the way snowpeak makes nice titanium camping products. best titanium watch- bertucci.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
It comes down to weight,distance, durability. The lighter the gear the more food/water you can carry. The lighter the pack and/or the more food/water you can carry the greater the distance traveled/the longer you can spend on the trail. Weight and distance doesn't matter if your gear doesn't work when you need it. Bottom line get the best and lightest gear you can afford. The best compromise is good stainless steel.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts