Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sorting through my camping gear and grabbed my twig gasifier stove and was thinking about the pot stand. The old one was a ring made out of steel diamond mesh sheet and I had to make a new one and I used 1/16 solid aluminum sheet that forms a X over the stove. It got me thinking about the melting point of aluminum and the temperatures of a wood fire. Was wondering if anyone knows if it would melt while boiling water, cooking something in a pan or prolonged cooking? Haven't used it yet to cook on just started a fire to see how the flames licked the pot. My other stoves that have aluminum stands aren't directly in the flames and the ones that are are made from stainless. I can't believe I never thought of this before now. Figured I should find out before I get out there only to end up melting it.

·
reluctant sinner
17,447 Posts
I doubt it melt boiling water for dinner or coffee. It will get soft from the heat and might collapse. It will also burn away with use. Stainless is a far better choice. Old pot, pie plate, cookie sheet are really cheap at second hand stores.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks wasn't sure. Don't know why i didn't think about it before i made it. I know beer cans will melt in a fire since I've seen that happen, but they usually sit in a larger fire for awhile. I'm guessing the small size of the fire and it probably being a mixture of woods probably wouldn't get hot enough, but i might remake it with steel anyway. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Aluminum melts at aboout 1,100 degrees F. Gas stoves get arounf 500 degrees on full open. Wood fire can get hot, but if you control it, it should never get to 1100.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts