Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Well now that sucks

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,789 Posts
I haven't tried making a cup from it in a while, but I still cook often in aluminum foil "boats" and I haven't had it drip. I guess a little experimenting is called for. This is disconcerting.

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
Huh... that would explain a LOT about why hobo dinners and banana boats used to taste so much better when I was a kid and now they seem to get dried out and yucky so fast that they don't even get cooked correctly. Wonder what the solution to this could possibly be...

Restaurants that cook their own baked potatoes still use foil to cook them in the oven. I wonder if any of them have noticed the potatoes drying out faster or having a poorer quality to them?

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
I am running an aluminum foil cup experiment as we speak. Will post results.

Method: I am using regular store brand foil. Took a piece about 12" square, folded in quarters, pushed into a small pudding cup size plastic container to make cup shape. Filled with small amount of water. So far no leaking. There are 4 layers so I will check every 10 minutes to see if leaking occurs.

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
First 10 minutes and my little aluminum cup is showing no signs of leaking. I'll post an update in another half hour.

Forty minutes into experiment, still no leaking that I can see. Inside of plastic cup appears dry. Outside of aluminum cup is dry. Will post again in another half hour.

One hour and 10 minutes. No leaking.

Will continue experiment.

Two hours no leaking. Bear in mind that my experiment "cup" is using 4 layers of foil.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
it still has it's uses

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
It seems that aluminum foil has problems. The information is from a man who knows what he's talking about, John D. McCann.

http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/Don't Trust Aluminum Foil.htm

McCann's book on survival kits is outstanding. When he wrote it, however, he was still recommending aluminum foil to make vessels to boil water.

Amazon.com: Build the Perfect Survival Kit (0046081009679): John…
In my opinion that aluminum foil "bowl" used in that site is a bad design. inherently it will leak water through the folds. I just made one out of regular ply foil and no drips whatsoever. I made a rough "spoon" from some branches and placed the aluminium into that. Works just fine.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
First 10 minutes and my little aluminum cup is showing no signs of leaking. I'll post an update in another half hour.

Forty minutes into experiment, still no leaking that I can see. Inside of plastic cup appears dry. Outside of aluminum cup is dry. Will post again in another half hour.

One hour and 10 minutes. No leaking.

Will continue experiment.
My cup just yielded the same results. I think the leaks noted in the site above was because if design error.

·
Tough Chick
2,981 Posts
Yeah, I am 2 1/2 hours into this experiment and not a single drop has "leaked" out of my experimental cup design. I think these "survival resource" people may be lacking in a little common sense? If you look at the design of the bowl in the picture on their site, you can see that the way they made it was to have a seam right on the bottom of the bowl. At least that's what I think I'm seeing. I hate to call BS on something when someone seems so sincere, but my results and the test results of others here are not holding up to this person's claim that aluminum will leak.

I'm going to try to boil water on the stove now and see if it leaks that way.

Got water hot. I quit the experiment because it was cooking the teflon off of the skillet I put the cup into. No leaking, however. Hmmm... how to further test this.... on the grill would be a good test but today is not such a good day as it is raining and too wet outside.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,789 Posts
This is why it's always good to verify, rather than just accept something.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
Huh... that would explain a LOT about why hobo dinners and banana boats used to taste so much better when I was a kid and now they seem to get dried out and yucky so fast that they don't even get cooked correctly. Wonder what the solution to this could possibly be...

Restaurants that cook their own baked potatoes still use foil to cook them in the oven. I wonder if any of them have noticed the potatoes drying out faster or having a poorer quality to them?
When I do hobo dinners for camping I use three layers of foil, no leaks yet! Are hobo dinners not one of the best ways to have tasty food? I can’t wait to go camping this weekend and have a few made up in advance.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts

They use a quilted foil, much more flexible than normal foil.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,860 Posts
When I do hobo dinners for camping I use three layers of foil, no leaks yet! Are hobo dinners not one of the best ways to have tasty food? I can’t wait to go camping this weekend and have a few made up in advance.
Many years ago, Reynolds had a cookbook of foil dinners. There was a way to use the engine of your car to cook them while you drove. My dad had a wire rack that fit over the exhaust manifold that would hold the dinner. He would wrap it about four times, alternating the seals 90 degrees each time.
I remember driving to Indiana from Cleveland. At lunch time he pulled into a rest stop and brought out a full Pot Roast dinner with all the vegetables. The other folks parked there looked at us like we were cannibals or something. BTW, if you can smell the food cooking, you didn't wrap it correctly.
When he opened the package the smell was wonderful. It was roasted to perfection. I wish I could find a copy of that old cookbook. :thumb:
BTW, the car was a Ford Falcon, if anyone remembers those cars, there was enough room under that hood to cook a capon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts