Survivalist Forum banner

aluminum cookware quick question

2929 Views 19 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  trainedtosave
i just bought a 5$ aluminum mess kit from walmart to use with my soda can stove and when i tried it out the water discolored the aluminum. is thyis normal. anyone else have this problem?
thanks
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Hi S/F13, I used to own a aluminum mess kit when I was a boy scouts about 33 years ago and they used to discolor all the time. Come to think of it, I hated that mess kit. No matter what I cooked in it it would stick and be a pain to clean. They are ok for an energency but if you can afford to spend a little more get a stainless steel set. I bought my SS kit about 20.years ago and it still performs great. Coleman makes a nice stainless kit for under 30 dollars. I bought two for my kids a year ago and the Quality is almost as good as my SS set.

· Registered
99 Posts
I agree stainless is much better. Hint for cleaning your kit before you use it rub the OUTSIDE of it with cheap bar soap. Tha way the crud and black from a campfire washes of easy then just rub it again before you cook again

· Μολὼν λάβ
574 Posts
Aluminum is bad news anyway.

This is common for aluminum as well as many other metals, particularly those less dense. However, I would refrain from using them as studies have shown that using aluminum or teflon cookware can be hazardous to your health.

I have never used titanium cookware, but know stainless is resilient and very easy to maintain. All I will use in my home or in my camping gear (BOB) is stainless, though a few have copper clad exteriors. *

My camping ware has hinged handles that allow them to fold so everything fits inside the 2 1/2 qt sauce pan covered by a 9" skillet. The whole getup is slightly larger than #10 can but not as tall. I cannot remember the brand, but they were relatively inexpensive.

*Not counting bakeware or cast iron cookware.

· Registered
344 Posts
Another great way to clean the crud out of your cookware is to put dirt in it and rub it around aggresively. It acts like a scouring pad and washes right out as the food sticks to the dirt. I've never heard of the titanium mess kits. I think they're be great. Any links to vendors or recommendations?

· Really?
16,110 Posts
Hi S/F13, I used to own a aluminum mess kit when I was a boy scouts about 33 years ago and they used to discolor all the time. Come to think of it, I hated that mess kit. No matter what I cooked in it it would stick and be a pain to clean. .
well, yer not supposed to cook in yer mess kit and yer not s'posed ta get yer yer meat where ya get yer bread , either.:eek:

· Banned
1,711 Posts
Titanium is real nice and cooks up way fast, but I dont want to sell my a$$ to buy it lol :D:

But if you can get a good patina of carbon on the aluminum cookset, it will become non-stick on its own. Kinda like a nice wok. But alum will always be fragile.
My mess kit is a 1L Titanium cookpot with a regular kitchen fork. I do not see the need for cups, ect or the rest of the things in mess kits. My pack needs to be as light as possible, buying ss gear will be a waste of money as it is too heavy and I won't use it. By the way, my Ti cookpot was $35, and will probably be the last one I need to buy, unless it gets lost or stolen.

· Looks like rain to me.
41,533 Posts
I have a stainless steel mess that has discolored due to high temperature
Macmanos,

what did you heat it with, a blow torch? LOL

I guess everything will develop a patina after a while. My stainless Boy Scout mess kit is still ticking after almost 40 years.

Yes I cook in it, otherwise they wouldn't have included a frying pan or pot. I did toss the plastic cup in favor of a stainless sierra cup.

· Banned
1,711 Posts
You don't cook( or Sh**) where ya eat, ya don't get yer meat where ya get yer bread.
Nothing wrong with eating out of what you cook in, it reduces the amount of dishes you have to carry(as in extra weight, and unnecessary items). I am not sure where you heard this, but almost every hiker I have met cooks out of a pot, then eats in it. Every ounce counts.

· Really?
16,110 Posts
Nothing wrong with eating out of what you cook in, it reduces the amount of dishes you have to carry(as in extra weight, and unnecessary items). I am not sure where you heard this, but almost every hiker I have met cooks out of a pot, then eats in it. Every ounce counts.
Right, every ounce counts, so why a 'cooking thing'? I didn't 'hear' anything...I BTDT...There's so many other options... save the weight of a 'cooking thing'. I've boiled rice in bamboo.

· Banned
1,711 Posts
Right, every ounce counts, so why a 'cooking thing'? I didn't 'hear' anything...I BTDT...There's so many other options... save the weight of a 'cooking thing'. I've boiled rice in bamboo.
I can make just about anything I have in my pack in the field, but the time expense isn't worth it, so I compromise. My 1L pot is used to cook, wash in, get water out of shallow streams, ect. The weight is negligible for what it does, so it is worth it. I have done over a thousand miles of hikes, so I am not exactly a novice either. The cookpot does everything I need it to, and keeps things simple and light.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.