Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried multiple times over the years to learn to like oatmeal. I've tried various types of oatmeal and using different proportions of oatmeal to water and still can't get past the consistency. Is there any other breakfast type cereal that has similar benefits to oatmeal (storage and nutrition)? I have milk allergies so I usually eat any cereal dry. So I enjoy eating cheerios, frosted flakes and that kinda stuff. But normally I skip breakfast during the week, which is probably not the best thing to do. And when I do make breakfast on the weekends it's bacon and eggs.

I know this is kinda an odd request but figured what the hell. This is a fairly diverse group and with "prep what you eat" being the mantra I figured here's a good place to start.

Thanks.

-Ash

·
reluctant sinner
16,698 Posts
When I got off insulin and onto pills I can no longer eat: oatmeal or raisins plus any corn containing stuff especially products with high fructose corn syrup.

Also looking for alternative suggestions to increase my food diversity.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,267 Posts
I've enjoyed plain brown rice with milk and sweetener on occasion. Usually if I have a handful of leftover rice, I'll stash it in a bowl for cereal later.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,279 Posts
Juk, Korean rice porridge. is the only hot cereal I eat, other than grits. Like grits, it isn't sweet either. It's chicken or mushroom flavored.

Sugar at breakfast just sucks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm not crazy about 3-minute or instant oatmeal but like the old fashioned oatmeal because the texture give something to chew on - and I use less boiling water and use butter and sugar for flavor. Another of my cereal grains for breakfast is Malt-o-Meal. My mother taught me to put a handful of chopped dates into the water to boil first then add the MOM to cook down. Again, no milk but butter and sweetener. Very filling and not watery.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I eat oatmeal with milk, butter, and honey. I also eat grits. Cheese grits are good with butter. Grits should be creamy not gritty.

I also put bacon bits in my oatmeal. Or you can use sausage bits. Same with grits.

Oatmeal without some type of sweetener is not good to me. Grits are not good sweetened. This is from a southern point of view.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
This give a different consistency and is my favorite. It sounds complicated but isnt.

Reg. oatmeal in a bowl.
Add salt, cinnamon and a shake of nutmeg.
Add chopped walnuts.
Cover with boiling water.
Put cover on top of bowl so oatmeal can steam cook for about 5min.
Add pancake syrup to taste, stir.
Eat.
Add milk if you like.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
You can convert oatmeal to granola (sugary and added oil) or muesli. Both have a different texture than porridge. Granola is delicious but i tend to use it as a condiment like a little on yogurt or porridge because of its high sugar content.
You can also put leftover porridge in a loaf pan and let it cool. Then slice and fry and serve with butter and syrup.
Oatmeal atole is very good, too. But i think it really needs milk. Maybe you could use oat milk or another substitute but cow milk is cheap and delicious and doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I eat Quaker old fashioned oats nearly every day for breakfast and as a pre-workout meal after work. There's not much flavor, but I add cinnamon and walnuts. The instant stuff is a little too slimy for my taste. Kind of like the difference between white and whole wheat bread.

·
Premium Member
10,830 Posts
Grape nuts and/or raison bran cereal.

The only way I eat oatmeal is with milk, diced strawberries and/or raisons.

Reactions: LindaLou and MikeK

·
Super Moderator
66,003 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of oatmeal either. I don't mind old fashioned oats and I like steel cut. But I simply won't stand there and cook it for 30 minutes. To me, it's one of those foods that I make when I'm hungry and don't want to stand around cooking. If I did, I'd be cooking something else. So I buy the quick cook kind. Way better than instant.

If you haven't tried steel cut, give them a try. They're different than any kind of rolled oats. Also, malto meal and cream of wheat. I find malto meal tastes way better, but that's just preference.

If you're after the benefits of oats you might try some of the granolas out there. Quaker makes a good one that has no artificial ingredients. Sam's Club used to sell it in big boxes cheap, but hasn't had it for a couple years now. At least not the ones in my area.

Almost anything can be made into a hot cereal. One I used to love and make often in years past is sprouted wheat. Soak the wheat and leave it for a day or two to sprout slightly. This makes it sweet and malty tasting and changes the texture to something more pleasant. Then cook as you would any hot cereal, or use a thermos to cook it with residual heat.

My favorite of all time was malted barley. I used to could find it in bulk but haven't seen it in a very long time. It was just sprouted barley grains that were dried again. You could also use it for beer brewing.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts