Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It looks like the bigger the vehicle more practical it is. Even on the back of a pickup truck it's difficult. I wonder about storing the wood gas somehow instead of producing it in the vehicle. I will do more research on this and post. Thanks.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,555 Posts
I strongly urge you to consider diesel motors running on Biodiesel instead of trying to use wood gas for transportation. This is just from a power density standpoint. Save you wood gas generator for static (non mobile) power generation, such as a electrical generator.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a car that runs on CNG, Compressed Natural Gas. It is available in most larger cities, you can also compress it at your home from the gas service company or in my case you can compress it from your own gas well. That's my alternative fuel. It's worth looking into as an alternative fuel if you have gas in your area. Look up drillers and ask. (It's not cheap my well cost$3,000 and compressor was $2000, but it heats my house, is set up to fuel my back up generator and some of my transportation fuel.)

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
I strongly urge you to consider diesel motors running on Biodiesel instead of trying to use wood gas for transportation. This is just from a power density standpoint. Save you wood gas generator for static (non mobile) power generation, such as a electrical generator.
Agreed bigtime. They also tend to get higher mileage. You don't even need to run it on biodiesel the entire time. Once the engine is started and warmed up, you can switch it over to warm (160 degree) straight vegetable oil. You shut it down again on biodiesel to flush the veggy oil from the lines. This way you wouldn't need to make a lot of biodiesel for engines that will be running for a few hours at a time.

If we'd switch to diesels, we wouldn't be having all the problems trying to come up with alternative gasoline replacement fuels. Biodiesel is far more efficient to grow and process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.