Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
I used to know someone that had some HC's and OC's. They used this combo in VN with good results. That's where my friend heard about it. The HC's were Canadian military. The OC's were picked up at the local Army Navy. Gotta love the smoke.
If you think you may need it, you probably do.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
HC Smoke and color are grreat for a get home bag as your get home experience may be trapped in snow or walking in desert. Being able to signal for help is paramount in those situations. Flare gun wouldn't be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HC Smoke and color are grreat for a get home bag as your get home experience may be trapped in snow or walking in desert. Being able to signal for help is paramount in those situations. Flare gun wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Where to get?

·
www.chemflame.com
1,174 Posts
I'm unable to find where to get them unless your in the military or police. The funny thing is that I'm able to get OC 12 gauge shells for the shotgun. I have a bunch of ALS smoke grenades.

·
Prov 3:18
2,235 Posts
ALS has some neat stuff,but they are mostly restricted to mil/police.Our SO has used their Blaststrips to make water charges for breaching,very cool stuff. Their BORETHUNDER is pretty impressive too.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
Potassium Nitrate and sugar and a little Baking soda.

55% PN
35% Sugar
10% Baking Soda

This makes white smoke and a bunch of it!!!

If you add organic dye (Don't ask me where to get it) it will burn with color. Orange apparently is the best for this.

Ptassium nitrate can be found in the garden section of your hardware store and sells as Stump Remover or you can order it on ebay.

Ebay Potassium Nitrate
It is cheap.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
I used to make them as a kid and we made some real monsters that would burn upwards of 5 minutes. I swear there was so much smoke, you could see it from space!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Potassium Nitrate and sugar and a little Baking soda.

55% PN
35% Sugar
10% Baking Soda

This makes white smoke and a bunch of it!!!

If you add organic dye (Don't ask me where to get it) it will burn with color. Orange apparently is the best for this.

Ptassium nitrate can be found in the garden section of your hardware store and sells as Stump Remover or you can order it on ebay.

Ebay Potassium Nitrate
It is cheap.

You do not mention anything other than ingredients. there are several steps to this including cooking. I have been making my own smoke bombs for years. the recipe you have listed will burn at a very high temp. so throwing it in a home or other facility would more than likely catch fire with those ratios. I noticed you get a lot more smoke at the 50/50 ratio. you can actually get away with higher than 50% sugar.What i use as a container is old grocery store cans (beans,corn,veggies).

here is a quick recipe for those who want to make there own smoke. I have experimented with ratios so i have taken all the hard work out.

take 1 part sugar and one part potassium (salt peter)
heat in an old pan unlit it turn thick like peanut butter. while it is still warm get it into the container before it cools. when it cools its like peanut brittle and impossible to work with. put lid on and add fuse (firework style) or you can do what i do and get the waterproof matches and jam them in the top. I do have to warn you! container may be melted and burn at very very high temp.

make sure you get KN03. I use High Yield stump remover. seems to be great quality and burns thorough. I understand not everyone is a chemist and this may seem dangerous. it is very dangerous and should not be attempted by anyone without the proper experience and knowledge of the chemicals being used. so before you attempt this research it and know what chems you will be using.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts