Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not much for the gadgets. Prefer boiling. will use a grass, sand and charcoal filter to strain with but always boil. Some folks like 'em, (Filters )They are not without malfunctions and they are not cheap. On the other hand, grass, sand and charcoal are free and so is fire.

·
I Love Guns
317 Posts
i use a katadyn Hiker ,works great,and not to bad on the pocket book 60$ there are others out there that cost more...some that cost less...it's all comes down to what u like best...i also carry aqua tabs as backup or for water that i feel the filter will cut it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use the MSR MiniWorks EX Filter:
http://www.rei.com/product/695265

The only downside to it for me is that it's a tad bulky, although not unbearable.

For the positives...It's not very heavy and seems to filter well (hasn't got me sick yet and water looks clear). I've read people complain that it's slower than some of it's competitors, but I've also read that the faster the filter, the less it's actually filtering, so I don't mind losing a minute or two for increased performance. I don't even find it slow, personally. I like the fact that there's only one hose and the filter itself screws into a Nalgene bottle...makes it simpler to operate. It's also very tough and field serviceable, which is a plus.

I've read this model has been issued to the Marines, but I've never seen that confirmed by a credible source. It's possible that some but not all Marines have had them issued.

All in all, I'd recommend it. I'd also like to test other models though just for curiosity sake.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am just concerned with any small pump for a whole family. I just wonder how many pumps and how long a stop for 7 people to refill. That's why I was inclined to look at the gravity filtration systems.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have had an MSR Miniworks for several years now and it has served me well on many backpacking trips. They are easy to clean and last a long time. I also like the way the pump threads directly on to your Nalgene bottles or water bag. They are slow though. As someone mentioned, this is not necessarily a bad thing if it means it is doing a better job of filtering out harmful stuff. Just keep in mind that all pumps have their down sides. They are not very practical in below freezing temperatures, for example. I tried to use mine on a winter trek once to filter water from a stream and it just froze up. I like to carry the germicidal tablets, like Potable Aqua, for backup. Boiling is also an option but takes the longest, not to mention uses up fuel. It is also a bad idea at high altitude where it takes much longer to bring water to a good boil. Remember you must boil the water for at least 5 minutes to guarantee that giardia and kryptosprodium cysts are killed. Also, tablets and boiling do not filter out the sediments and organic matter that might be in the water either. This can be remedied by simply allowing the water to sit over night and let all the particles settle to the bottom.

Like fire-starting methods, it is best to have 2 or 3 methods of obtaining safe drinking water given its extreme survival importance.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I use to use a pump filter, but as I lightened my pack over the years, it had to go. I now carry some coffee filters and boil for sterilizing. I tried iodine but I don't like the taste and don't trust it as much as boiling. Filter replacements are also expensive and bulky in a pack if you want to take extra. Coffee filters can be used over and over and take out most of the "junk" before boiling.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I am just concerned with any small pump for a whole family. I just wonder how many pumps and how long a stop for 7 people to refill. That's why I was inclined to look at the gravity filtration systems.
You can get a Katadyn Combi off ebay for a little over $100. It can be used both in the field and in the home with the faucet attachment. The Combi will purify 13000 gallons .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.