Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
made me say what the hell, was looking for thoughts and opinions? especially from anybody in medical fields.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/258160.php

Kasia Beaver, 33, from Redditch, Worcestershire, England, was diagnosed with exercise-induced angioedema (EIA) and has been told to stop exercising by her doctors. When her heart beats too rapidly her eyes puff up and shut, her throat narrows and she breaks out in hives.

http://io9.com/can-you-really-be-allergic-to-exercise-yes-and-it-so-1434990447

sorry if anything about this has been posted already, i couldn't find anything on the topic

·
Indefatigable
20,097 Posts
I am retired nurse but I used to work for cardiologist/cardiac surgeons. EIA is a real condition.
I only saw a couple cases first hand and those were in much older people with underlying medical conditions where "exercise" could mean just taking a shower and getting dressed. It wasn't just their face that would swell but also their hands and feet. In their case the condition was managed with daily medications. Perhpas the meds don't work for this lady or she has learned to control it and prefers to only treat the symptoms when they appear.
This is the first I have heard about a possible food-allergy connection.

Reactions: old doc and aimlow

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Some illness give you a low threshold to exercise. With the Leaky Gut Syndrome/Intestinal Diabosis I have it is well known we just can't exercise and when I last asked my Dr what to do she said just to take the dog for a 30 minute walk.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Some illness give you a low threshold to exercise. With the Leaky Gut Syndrome/Intestinal Diabosis I have it is well known we just can't exercise and when I last asked my Dr what to do she said just to take the dog for a 30 minute walk.
how do you think you got that?

·
Corpsman Up
2,937 Posts
Similar but different physiologically is cholinergic urticaria and exercise induced asthma.

I had a football player break out in hives a few times a week during practice. The trainers had never heard of cholinergic urticaria and blew me off as being a dumb coach. I also had a cook on a ship a few years ago who had to take frequent breaks from the hot galley due to the severity of the hives.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
It's not too weird. Always used to break out in hives in gym class when I was a kid. Nothing else happened but I can well see those things getting worse.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all for your input, it was very helpfull, i figured it had to be legitimate based on the information i had found, but i was curious about first hand information and how commonly it manifest in people.
Also anything people may have found that helped them to work through it or treat it in the event i had to help with it post shtf without proper medical supplies.
thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
how do you think you got that?
Some medical professionals believe it's too much sugar so a candida infection, others believe too many steriods, painkillers and even things like tape worms can do it. Mine is probably steriod inhalers which I took for years for allergy asthma.

I presented the Dr with a book by another Dr who said it was caused by candida/sugar and she didn't think it was worth worrying about.

NB my other theory is that I have Alopecia Univarlis, so little to no external body hair, thus it could be that anything remotely resembling hair on the inside isn't there either. Alopecia is an Autoimmune Disease caused by a DNA fault very similar to that which causes Arthritus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts