Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to New Orleans to help out after the hurricane and I took my Alice Pack. We were in the outer realm of the city for one week clearing debris and helping to get the power back on. Everyday I took my Alice with me with some basic gear. And everyday someone came up to me for more help because they thought I was in the military which I am. But I was in Civilian clothes it was the damn camo pack. If SHTF the last thing you want is people clinging to you because they think your a soldier or some crap. When ppl panic they look to the police and soldiers for help. Do yourselves a favor and get normal looking gear BLEND IN.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
That is one of the reasons I bought a civilian multi-day hiking pack (subdued colors) rather than some G.I. Joe camo gear. Not knocking you or the gear itself but whether your attracting people who expect you to help them or start taking incoming rounds from people currently not happy with the police or military, either is a bad thing.

I don't do camo. Straight earth tones and civilian gear for me.

·
Say no to NWO PLEASE!
1,009 Posts
This is an interesting thought. I've got two red backpacks, so they have to go, but maybe I won't be getting camo, or I'll be dying it earth tones or something.

·
Registered
645 Posts
This is an interesting thought. I've got two red backpacks, so they have to go, but maybe I won't be getting camo, or I'll be dying it earth tones or something.
I'd just get a new pack or two, but that depends on how poor you are/ how nice the packs are. I agree red is not a good color on you:upsidedown:. The packs with bright color stiping or solid non natural colors are for being seen if you are lost and want to be found, not for if you aren't lost and don't want to draw attention to your self. A regular black back pack is what I use for a BOB, I need to think about water proofing it though, a real mess the last time I got caught in a strom (tornado..not fun).

This thread also makes me think of those who paint thier ar15's in urban digital and the such, come on man that's just not practical :taped: . Better to have a rifle that can be broken down or concieled if you are going to leave the house with it. I love some of the creative things people have come up with in conscern of concieling rifles and such.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thats weird.
They judged you based on a backpack?
Damn, they must be desperate.
You would be suprised at what will single you out. Just haveing a back pack at all can stand out quite a bit. This doesn't just go for the desperate but also those looking for those that aren't desperate. I'm a fan of bugging in, you don't want to be walking around when bad things happen, though some thimes you don't want to be inside either. It all depends on your situation, keep your head on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How does the idea of a baggy pullover type jacket over a vest or small backpack sound? In cooler weather you'd look to be a bit over weight instead of prepared. For hot weather you can pack a lot of gear in cargo shorts.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
I've got a backpack that was a freebie for test riding Triumph motorcycles, not huge but will carry a weekend's worth of clothes. It's black and low sheen green nylon. My other bag was a promo item for the Woodward Dream Cruise, holds quite a bit. (Tag said 30quart capacity- odd way to rate a nylon bag that doesn't hold water) Neither look too remarkable

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Bdog,
Blending in is part of the bigger picture...I have camo, and it is NOT for dressing out during a suvival situation. The only time I wear it is when I go hunting. The less I stand out the better I like it...

Reactions: joes

·
Registered
377 Posts
Camo will only camouflage you if you are in the place it was meant to. Such as my woodland camo does nothing in a snow field or in a cattail marsh and my winter camo stands out in a field. Same goes in an urban setting. Every hunter knows you don't where the wrong camo in the wrong setting.

BLT

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
My basic camo is a pair of work boots, blue jeans, hooded sweat shirt, carhart jacket and a baseball cap.
The way I blend in is to look like everybody else. Guess it's back to the "Grey Man "
attitude........

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
I have a North Face backpack...has a water bladder. Just meant for hiking--casual type. Grey with orange trim. I also have a camo tactical vest. Most of my clothing is everyday wear.
I plan on getting a better backpack...been pricing them. Will probably go with a plain black one I saw last week at the surplus store.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
i use very little camo, except what i hunt in. most all of my gear is black, the clothing mostly civi's. camo comes in many patterns including what your average civilian wears. the whole idea behind camo is to blend in. and when the shtf, blending in is exactly what your gonna want to do. fortunatly i live far enough out in the country it won't matter much either way. we wear both out here for everyday wear.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
some of those fancy paint jobs are pretty damn nice, BUT...there expensive. even if you do it yourself. besides out in the boonies that nice paint job is going to wear off just like the orignal so whats the point. and i could use the money to get things that i could realy use.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
believe me under those or even worse condtions people can and do become more desperate than you could imagine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One problem is that many of the places and websites that sell things meant for actual survival only sell them in camo, olive drab, or black. I'm looking for a new backpack as well, since my one now is falling apart. Though I've also been looking into recon style butt packs.

What's everyone's opinion? Butt pack? Backpack? or perhaps both if I can pull the backpack high enough?

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Can't go wrong with black. Maybe it's my newness to preparedness, but I see more utility in using everyday stuff and carrying lighter. A soldier goes through conditioning to be able to hike with 80 lbs of gear on them, and in environments that may require that gear. I respect the people that make hardcore, all-purpose "live in the wild for 2 weeks on foot" BOBs, but depending on your environment that may be a solution looking for a problem.

I don't usually take my queues from movies (thanks Hollywood for all the gun stereotypes), but in The Bourne Identity one of his greatest assets was his ability to "disappear" by blending in with a crowd:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3667106048/tt0258463
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3683883264/tt0258463

You can barely even tell that he has a backpack or satchel on him.

Right now I'm focused on making a small get-home bag to stow in my car, while organizing my stuff so I can pack it in a jiffy if need be. I want to be able to get from work to my house if my car is stuck/broken down in an emergency. If you want something you can go on foot with easily, something like these might work:
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&from=SR&feat=sr

·
Registered
130 Posts
my bug out bag is a molle ruck sac, w a frame. of course its camo. the price could not be beat, i will be dying it straight green. the rerason for the big pack? i have 2 kids. just my .02

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Like another poster said camo is only good wear it blends in. A lot of my gear is black. I live in the city and although camo is a fashion a lot of it would stand out. Since black gear tends to go well with alot of camo a good idea would be what I do. Own several pairs of clothing in different camo designs and keep your gear uniformed to one color as to not stand out yet blend with your camo should you need it.

Black or blue tactical clothing is also good for urban environments as it tends to blend great.

-Cade

·
free man
626 Posts
Heck, half the county here in a small town in WNC wears camo in these parts. Seriously. Of course half of those drive around with bear dogs the back of pickup trucks too.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts