Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a guy on craigslist who said he was selling a Honda 3500 watt generator for $700. When I went to his house to check it out it didn't say "Honda" anywhere. Instead, it said T&T Outdoors and the guy claimed it was made by All Power and had a honda engine. He started it and it sounded rather quite and seemed to run good. Looked almost new. But, I was worried about the lack of the word "Honda". I can't find "T&T Outdoors anywhere except on e-bay. What do you guys think???

·
1,794 Posts
Hope I can help a little with this, I repaired small engines part time for awhile. I believe "All Power" brands of generators have Chinese engines on them. Without an identification plate, this is most likely the case. It would seem strange for Honda to sell their expensive engines to a relatively unknown generator manufacturer. The guy may be misrepresenting the engine manufacturer in an attempt to make it more desireable to a prospective buyer. Never heard of T&T either and have only seen two All Power generators. Couldn't get parts for them. Your call but it looks suspicious to me. Maybe someone else has had more experience with these. Good luck.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I have a Honda 5500 branded like nothing else. Honda does put their engines in other products... Like husquivarna mowers. Not no names. Now, my 5500 is not a whisper gen, but I got it used for 850, with 20 hours on it. Keep looking.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Sounds fishy. When a piece of equipment has a Honda engine on it, they want you to know it and display the name proudly. The Chinese do make an engine that is a Honda knock-off. It looks just like a Honda, but obviously does not say Honda on it. I have personally used these knock-off generators (not the name you mentioned though). When I worked for the city here, we bought some Chinese generators to supplement what we had during Hurricanes. It wasn't the motors that we had problems with, however. We had problems with the casings of the generators cracking and breaking apart. I would pass on this particular generator that you are looking at. You will be able to find a better quality generator for the same price or even cheaper.

·
High on a mountain top
435 Posts
Sounds like it's probably a Chinese knockoff, you can buy them new usually for around $500 or less for 3500 watt.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I would ask him to prove its Honda manufacture.

Very often, companies such as Honda do make equipment to be sold under different brand names.

Often, an Internet search can reveal the origin of the end-item.

He needs to prove its Honda manufacture, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Northern Tool has a good selection of gens. Get one that runs of of multiple fuels and you don't have to worry as much when you can't get gasoline cause the pumps are electrical.

·
Little Big Man
92 Posts
So I can't find any good resources ranking generators (reliability and stuff) Home depot/lowes all have several different brands that seem reasonably priced, but anyone know which brands would stand the test of time? Probably not any of the cheap ones i'm looking at...?

I know diesel is best but hose are $$$ just want something for use if the grid goes down for a while...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Northern Tool has a good selection of gens. Get one that runs of of multiple fuels and you don't have to worry as much when you can't get gasoline cause the pumps are electrical.
Thanks for the tip Bizarro. Checking the Northstar tri-fuel now.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
I does not matter whether it has a Honda engine in it or not, it is not Honda generator unless the entire thing is made by Honda and is labeled as such. There are many generator manufacturers that use Honda engines to power their equipment, including generators, but that does not make them Honda Power Equipment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts