Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at buying one of the larger model All American Pressure Canners, but reading their manuals online they say not to use them on ceramic / glass style flat top stoves. I assume they worry that the weight of a full canner may crack or damage the glass stove top.

Does anyone have any alternatives? I saw someone mentioned using a propane turkey deep fryer. I'm not buying another stove just to get some preserves done, and borrowing a friends kitchen means I'll have to share :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure if this method works for everything, but back when I canned some tomatoes we did the following:

Heat the lids, seals, etc.
Dip the threaded rim of the jar in the hot water.
Pour tomatoes into jar, place seals, lid, etc. on the jar.
Pour cold water on the rim.

Apparently the contrast from hot to cold creates a vacuum that seals the can. I was told you can wait for it to cool if you are worried about the jar breaking, but you may not get the same results.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
I just bought a flat top stove and the sales person guaranteed that you could can on it. I hope I didn't make a bad mistake.

I was planning on trying a method to test for SHTF times. I have a 1" thick piece of steel plate that I am going to put a bed of sand on for the canner to sit in. This should allow an even heating with no hot spots. I tried to can over an open flame turkey fryer burner last year and had a "spontaneous catastrophic disassembly" event.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
A turkey fryer should work great for an All American. It's Presto and Mirro cookers which are made from much thinner aluminum that you have to watch the amount of heat you apply to the bottom of the cooker.

·
Registered
725 Posts
A turkey fryer should work great for an All American. It's Presto and Mirro cookers which are made from much thinner aluminum that you have to watch the amount of heat you apply to the bottom of the cooker.
We are using a propane turkey fryer with our All American canner. It has been working great. :thumb:

·
Registered
783 Posts
The Presto canner says you can use it on flat top stoves. Not quite as good in quality as the AAC, but seems ok. The main difference between the two I think, is that the Presto requires a gasket lid sealer where the AAC does not.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The Presto canner says you can use it on flat top stoves. Not quite as good in quality as the AAC, but seems ok. The main difference between the two I think, is that the Presto requires a gasket lid sealer where the AAC does not.
You are correct - the AAC has a metal-to-metal seal on the lid. Only requires keeping clean and using a bit of periodic lubrication with Vaseline. The canner is very sturdy, too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure if this method works for everything, but back when I canned some tomatoes we did the following:

Heat the lids, seals, etc.
Dip the threaded rim of the jar in the hot water.
Pour tomatoes into jar, place seals, lid, etc. on the jar.
Pour cold water on the rim.

Apparently the contrast from hot to cold creates a vacuum that seals the can. I was told you can wait for it to cool if you are worried about the jar breaking, but you may not get the same results.
That method might be adequate for high acid foods, but so would a water bath canner. The All American Pressure Canners will permit you to preserve low acid foods like meat. They are solid aluminum and the large models are very heavy even when empty. It's the weight that was my worry, not the technique.

It looks like I've got an excuse to buy a turkey deep fryer too! My wife will not be impressed, although if there is any chance that I damage her precious stove, I'll risk this method first.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
14,273 Posts
I was looking at buying one of the larger model All American Pressure Canners, but reading their manuals online they say not to use them on ceramic / glass style flat top stoves. I assume they worry that the weight of a full canner may crack or damage the glass stove top.

Does anyone have any alternatives? I saw someone mentioned using a propane turkey deep fryer. I'm not buying another stove just to get some preserves done, and borrowing a friends kitchen means I'll have to share :(
I used my glass top stove for canning with no problem.

I would not use a turkey fryer.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have family that used to can with a 930 and a 921 model at the same time on their glass top stove, so it can definitely be done. The main problem with the larger canners is that it takes a very long time to get them up to pressure. A propane stove even takes forever with a 930 sized canner, so we got us a cheap propane turkey frier. A turkey frier pared with a large All American canner will save you decades and eons of time.... well hours anyway.... I can easily pick, wash, snap, pack and can 100 quarts of green beans by myself in one day with my 941 canner and turkey frier.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I e-mailed Presto and they told me no more than a 12,000 BTU burner

·
Registered
783 Posts
Well today I made enquiries about getting an All American 925 sent out here from a place called Goodmans. Packaging and handling ALONE was going to be $377. Add the cost of the canner and canning utensils themselves ...another $266. Altogether $643. Wow !

Guess I will just have to settle for a Presto which I can get out here for about $260 incl. postage.
Am disappointed in this.

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
That might have been me. I went to the turkey fryer, and it works fine. Heats the water a lot faster than the old coil stove did. I wish i could use the stove, but both the canner, and stove manual say NO. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts