Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, it has been done before, probably a few times, but with recent times and more members, what do you prefer, and why?, pros and cons?
I personally have a modified Large A.L.I.C.E pack, i had my wife take off the top three pockets and replace them with four rows of molle webbing along with a pouch on the backside of the pack in-between the frame for my 3 liter camel bak, and of corse i opted for the ILBE kidney pad over that cruddy Vietnam era padding that comes with all surplus alice packs

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I know, it has been done before, probably a few times, but with recent times and more members, what do you prefer, and why?, pros and cons?
I personally have a modified Large A.L.I.C.E pack, i had my wife take off the top three pockets and replace them with four rows of molle webbing along with a pouch on the backside of the pack in-between the frame for my 3 liter camel bak, and of corse i opted for the ILBE kidney pad over that cruddy Vietnam era padding that comes with all surplus alice packs
I hate both the ALICE and the new MOLLE ruck.

I was issued the ALICE at its tail end, and saw more than my fair share of torn seam, popped rivets, and ripped nylon. It was a great pack 30 years ago, and still is a good pack for $40, but I refuse to use it. Some of the newer updated iterations are nice, I like the TT Malice pack some of my guys use. Many design flaws of the original ALICE are addressed in this line of packs.

The MOLLE ruck is a huge pile of flaming garbage as well. Plastic frame that snaps on jumps or even getting tossed out the back of a truck, uncomfortable shoulder straps, easily shattered buckles, and in essence it's just a huge duffel bag on your back that doesn't carry well at all, especially with armor on.

As of right now thanks to Uncle Sam I have 2 ALICE packs and 4 Molle rucks that take up space in my closet and will never see the light of day.

I have a mystery ranch and an Eberlestock that have been abused more than any pack should on various deployments and those are my staples now. I have had two Mystery Ranch packs issued to me by my unit, which is telling considering they know we are all issued the MOLLE ruck at CIF upon arrival.

I spend a significant portion of my life with a large pack on my shoulders, so I prefer for the pack to be at least comfortable and well thought out. Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock are exactly that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate both the ALICE and the new MOLLE ruck.

I was issued the ALICE at its tail end, and saw more than my fair share of torn seam, popped rivets, and ripped nylon. It was a great pack 30 years ago, and still is a good pack for $40, but I refuse to use it. Some of the newer updated iterations are nice, I like the TT Malice pack some of my guys use. Many design flaws of the original ALICE are addressed in this line of packs.

The MOLLE ruck is a huge pile of flaming garbage as well. Plastic frame that snaps on jumps or even getting tossed out the back of a truck, uncomfortable shoulder straps, easily shattered buckles, and in essence it's just a huge duffel bag on your back that doesn't carry well at all, especially with armor on.

As of right now thanks to Uncle Sam I have 2 ALICE packs and 4 Molle rucks that take up space in my closet and will never see the light of day.

I have a mystery ranch and an Eberlestock that have been abused more than any pack should on various deployments and those are my staples now. I have had two Mystery Ranch packs issued to me by my unit, which is telling considering they know we are all issued the MOLLE ruck at CIF upon arrival.

I spend a significant portion of my life with a large pack on my shoulders, so I prefer for the pack to be at least comfortable and well thought out. Mystery Ranch and Eberlestock are exactly that.
I think people just get wrapped up in the tacticool idea and have to have something military, i agree with almost everything you said about the alice and molle, but i feel with several modifications, the alice pack can be a dream

·
Stinks like...BO
997 Posts
ALICE is my lady, MOLLE was just a side fling that occurs in any relationship. Basically I like simple and to the point, not high speed. MOLLE was a little too high speed for my tastes. Kinda like that girl Who always wants wined and dined. ALICE is a meat and potatoes with a Straub beer kinda girl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts