Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I've been wanting to buy an ALICE pack with the frame included and hoped to find one at my local Army Surplus store, unfortunately they did not have what i was looking for..

Just wondering if there were any online stores that others have used and know to be trusted sites that have the packs for sale, and hopefully for dirt cheap! :)

to be exact i am looking for a large alice pack with the frame included :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=620020

Here ya go. Shop here first. They may not be the cheapest, but that have TONS of stuff like this.

BTW, I use an ALICE pack for my 4 wheeler bag and for my exploration hiking. It is great for just a day bag. Big enough and tough enough for some serious activity. I also have a multi-day bag for longer activity.

1 neat trick I have learned. While you are wearing the ALICE, a water bottle will securely sit behind the lower back pad and the canvas of the pack. There is a gap that is perfect for a standard water bottle.

Good luck,
WM

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
I bought both my ALICE packs at the Army/Navy store.
The large ALICE (which I gave to a board member), cost $80 and was in pristine condition. The Small ALICE was about $40 if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
to be exact i am looking for a large alice pack with the frame included :thumb:
eBay, dude...eBay.

If you've not already considered it, the new/newer ILBE system looks pretty stellar. Though, I've heard that the US Armed Forces are reworking it because of incompatibility with the new tac vests. The main pack, and I believe the lid and main attachments, are designed by Arc'teryx and manufactured in the states by another company. The frame looks just like Arc'teryx's Bora line of packs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would also recommend that you look at some of the newer mil-surp offerings. I love me some ALICE's but the newer style with plastic frame can be a bit more comfortable. That said, garage sale's, craigslist, and flea markets should net you some decent gear for cheap. But if you need it soon, ebay will do.

Make sure you do the proper reading to get it fitted for you right. That means the kidney pads, shoulder pads, and weight distribution. When I strap on my ALICE it takes me back to when I wore it for a living (Army). When properly fitted and loaded, it is a nice pack.

There are also some good mods that you can do to it as well. Wrapping the frame in para cord comes to mind (so that you always have a good amount) but there are hundreds of other neat things you can do as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I'm wondering if some of these cheap ones are chinese knockoffs....

if you was buying it off of E-bay...yes but read what they are say about the bags and frame. i got a local store that is selling the pack ONLYfor $5.50 and they are military issue some VERY used others look new :thumb: when you buy in bulk from the military you can get that stuff extremly cheap :thumb:

you may need to watchout on the frames though ive seen some military surplus stores selling 2 differnt ones and one was cheaper than the other

·
Registered
132 Posts
I dont understand this whole obsession with ALICE packs. Ya they are cheap. They are pretty durable. I remember having to use one in boot camp and i hated every minute of it. Maybe its just me but those things can burn.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.