Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this at a yard sale. (I know, a little fancy for camping gear) for $3. So if it doesn't work, oh well. It's made by Wm A Rogers. Not sure if it is silver plate or stainless or what.

It has an alcohol stove with an adjustable flame. Inside was some white batting that I think is called 'glass wool.' As I don't have any experience with this type of stove, I am wondering how much should be inside and does it wear out? There is a piece inside about the size of a large marble. Where do I get more of this or do I even need it?

·
10,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody? Come on guys and gals, a little help please. Anyone know where I can find the media that goes in an alcohol stove?

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
I think you scored a nice little deal. The adjustable knob is a nice feature you don't find on most camping style alcohol stoves. The pot holder looks dandy too. The white material sounds a lot like high temperature fiber glass. It probably helps disperse the alcohol vapor so they don't concentrate in to a small cone. Not critical to operation. If you want more you can find it at blacksmith suppliers.

Also known as k-wool or Insulwool. I've had good luck with the website below

http://www.elliscustomknifeworks.com/

good luck.

Hemp

·
Titleless
1,361 Posts
Looks like a fondue pot to me. Any kind of fiber inside would work, it is just to keep the wick in contact with the alcohol. Fireproof fibers last longer. Good buy for only $3!

·
Deus exsisto laus
3,963 Posts
I recently made some alcohol stoves and used the fiberglass Pink "wool" left over from a building project. It works perfectly. Run it on denatured alcohol otherwise you will have water left over from using rubbing alcohol.. TP

·
Coarse and violent nudity
161 Posts
I make my own alcohol stoves outta tin cans, fiberglass (the pink stuff in the insulation), wire, and aluminum sheets. Only tools you need are a can opener and maybe a hammer. Really light. Really reliable. Very fun to make. $$$$. PROFIT?!

·
10,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I make my own alcohol stoves outta tin cans, fiberglass (the pink stuff in the insulation), wire, and aluminum sheets. Only tools you need are a can opener and maybe a hammer. Really light. Really reliable. Very fun to make. $$$$. PROFIT?!
I have been stocking "viper" bottles for just that reason but the thing I liked about this stove was the adjustable flame. That seemed pretty cool for only $3. Plus the stand and the two cooking surfaces and a nice lid.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts

Really I make them and sell them too, I was just talking about this the other day. That is so cool that you do that too!:thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Can't help you with the questions, but I can tell you that it's silverplated copper. I bought and sold antiques and collectibles for a while and ran into a lot of Wm A Rogers ware. It's well made stuff.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
That is a 'chafing dish', not a stove. It is meant to keep food warm on a buffet. One generally does not cook in them, except if you put the pot on the stove to heat up the contents and then set it on the base with the burner lit.

You may be able to 'repurpose' the alcohol burner (make a smaller stand to put over it so pots don't tip) but if I were you I would just retain the whole thing, with a bottle of alcohol, for warming things up either for entertaining now or for after the SHTF (when you might not want smoke coming from your chimney or to use a larger stove in the house).

Anyway, I have a number of them, one just like that. I use them for entertaining and catering purposes. I would doubt very much if it is even 'collectible', much less antique - just tarnished because as the previous poster said, it is probably silverplate (especially because it is Rogers and that is what they do/make).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts