Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Simple Man
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at adding a compact camp stove to my kit. Looking at a small tin with some holes in it as an alcohol stove or some solid fuel versions like the German GI stove with the solid fuel tablets or other solid fuels such as cotton balls drenched in pj or candle wax? Anyone have any pref?:confused:

·
Banned
4,069 Posts
I like the liquid fuel stoves especially the multi fuel types.

MSR and Brunton make some good ones for backpacking. If weight isn't a great concern, Coleman is less expensive.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Both have thier place lately I have been favoring Esbit folding stove, easier to transport fuel, very compact. It would be a good thing to learn for everyone to be able to make a alcohol burner.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I use the swiss volcano stove and a wetfire fuel tab to get things going and then a couple small sticks, never run out of fuel.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I made my alcohol stove from the bottom of 2 soda cans. works great it will boil water and i get nearly 20 minutes of burn time once the jets light.

·
Super Moderator
12,356 Posts
I use a multi-fuel stove most of the time, but my backup is an Esbit folding stove. It can use the Esbit tabs, trioxane, hexamine, or small wood pieces.

·
Guns and Yoga
1,859 Posts
I use both the alcohol and esbit regularly, using what I have. I like to carry the esbit on the road and heat up a hot tea when traveling (at a rest area of course) less mess and i can put it out, saving fuel. But for meals and on the trail I love cooking on the alcohol stove, plus i can make one in about 5 minutes if needed. Both are so cheap there's no reason to not have both.

·
Simple Man
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have seen he old military versions, but I didn't know they still made them or what they were called. The Esbit stove and solid fuel gets rave reviews and I can get one from REI just down the street for $10 bucks, gonna pick one up Mon. Also going to try my hand at making some small alcohol stoves and see what works best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.