Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can alcohol with a meal lower the risk of food poisoning?
There is evidence that drinking alcoholic beverages while eating food that has salmonella can prevent or reduce poisoning. Studies also show that not only does moderate drinking promote better health and longer life but also many other healthy benefits.

For more information on the healthy benefits of alcohol you can go to the site maintained by Prof. David J. Hanson Ph.D.
http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/InTheNews/MedicalReports/index.html

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
Who defines what moderate drinking means. I have 6-8 beers one day every couple of weeks, but do not drink at all the rest of the time. I drink that day, and then have no desire for alcohol for at least a week.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I no medical expert by any mean, but really do feel the solvent effects alcohols have on oil based products is a positive thing for health. Helping the body catch and removed lipid and oil based toxins as well a cholesterol.

I think a daily maintenace of this probably does better. Of course, those 6-8 beers can clean out the system in other ways........... though maybe not desireable.

·
My Temperature is Right
5,578 Posts
Who defines what moderate drinking means. I have 6-8 beers one day every couple of weeks, but do not drink at all the rest of the time. I drink that day, and then have no desire for alcohol for at least a week.
it's been defined as no more than 2oz of alcohol per day. 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine, 2 shots of booze. Binge drinking screws you up.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
it's been defined as no more than 2oz of alcohol per day. 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine, 2 shots of booze. Binge drinking screws you up.
Yeah, I would not consider a 6 pack once in awhile to be binge drinking.

Binge drinking would be something like a keg party or drinking a case in one day.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,434 Posts
Can alcohol with a meal lower the risk of food poisoning?
There is evidence that drinking alcoholic beverages while eating food that has salmonella can prevent or reduce poisoning. Studies also show that not only does moderate drinking promote better health and longer life but also many other healthy benefits.

While I'm a firm believer that moderate alcohol consumption has health benefits. There's too much anecdotal evidence to ignore. I'm not sure that the concentration of alcohol would be high enough to have any effect on the bacteria that cause food poisoning. There's a minimum percentage at which alcohol kills germs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts