Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
don't drink the kool aid
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For third-generation fisherman John Platt, the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill is a financial and psychological nightmare that won't end.

Three years after the 11 million-gallon spill in Prince William Sound blackened 1,500 miles of Alaska coastline, the herring on which he and other Cordova fishermen heavily relied disappeared from the area. Platt and some others stuck around, fishing for salmon and hoping things would improve.

The herring never returned to Cordova. Platt's income plummeted, severely straining his marriage and psyche. He dipped into his sons' college funds to support his family.

"People's lives were ruined," Platt said. "There were damn good fishermen here in the Sound, and they just said, 'Screw it' and left, and tried to make a living elsewhere."

As for Platt, who stayed: "I wasted 20 years of my life," he said.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/06/exxon.valdez.alaska/index.html?hpt=C2

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I live in a high fishing area, both sport and comersial. Over fishing has been a problem for years and new lower ammounts come out year after year.

There are also a lot of citations for poor fishing habits for the comersial men.

Blue crabs and Oysters are at all time lows.

We've never had a major oil spill.

And of course is the fact that fishing is so poor in Alaska.....................

that there's a show on about it.

I think you'll find that the fishermen have done more to kill off the fish that the oil spill ever did.

It was bad but the fishermen go out day after day raping the oceans with governmental permits and limits and yet they take more and more.

·
Later Dude Saint
725 Posts
exxon never paid all the damages .. the oil corps get away with murder.
now their a mile deep and dont have a clue..
BP contributed 70,000 to obamas campaign
he's as bad as bush and a halliburton lackey as well.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
People, that article is 100% BS.

For two years, those fishermen, along with every able bodied person living in Valdez, Seward, Whittier, Cordova and other places made better money cleaning up that spill than they ever would have fishing in the sound or doing any other work in that area. But not a single word about how many people Exxon employed for the next two years! Fishing families got special exemption so their kids 13 yrs and older could work!

2 billion dollars went into the cleanup effort alone. Most of that was in labor and equipment rental. A commercial boat was leased for up to $3000 a day plus fuel and maintenance costs. I worked on the spill myself cleaning rocks for $13 hr, 12 hr days, 7 days a week. There were thousands of us there. Air taxis, commercial fisherman, hotels, motels, boat shops, retail stores, everyone made bank, especially the commercial fisherman, charter operators and air taxis. Those still bemoaning the loss of the fish and their livelihood are full of kaka.

Families left Cordova because of many issues, not just the fishing, which remains excellent. Remote communities are shrinking because of the costs of living! Alaska has a high rate of divorce and depression already. 40% depression? Anybody ever hear of a drunk fishermen? Duhhh!

The herring have not disappeared! They are still there, albeit in smaller numbers! If they were not, do you think they would have record Silver Salmon runs these last few years? That's what they eat for god's sake! Shrimping has never been better as well, although the number of people has increased many times over. Herring fisherman could have gotten permits for the Bering Sea! The decline is due to over-fishing, not some weird pollution! We are having the same problem with our King Salmon runs now. We had a bad return of Silvers during El Nino and in 2003, too. Show me a single body of water in the world that has not been harmed by commercial fishing? Show me one, just one...

The court settlement was the biggest crock in Supreme Court history. One of the real reasons gas is so high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.